New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Guys,

I recently saw in Discovery Turbo a tip for very weathered/faded black/plastic rubber trim which is to rub peanut butter (the creamy variety and NEVER the chunky one!!!) to the trim and rub it off after a minute or so...

VOILA!!!!!

Beautiful black rubber/plastic trim in matte finish unlike Armor-All its ilk where the finish is shiny. My beloved Opel Astra G Estate's +1M points better looking now... Peanut butter consumption?? I purchased the smallest bottle of the Lily's Creamy Peanut Butter and I only used up a fourth of it... Imagine, where can you use such a thing where you can use it to blacken your rubber trim and for sandwiches at the same time??? Grin

There are a few things that I have to observe though. 1) Will the finish last only until the next wash? 2) If not, how long will it last before I have to apply another coat of peanut butter? 3) Will I have stowaways in my car (think ants... YIKES!!!!!!!!!), dogs licking or worse, gnawing at my rubber trim???

ABANGAN!!!!!!!!!!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by docgorio View Post
    Guys,

I recently saw in Discovery Turbo a tip for very weathered/faded black/plastic rubber trim which is to rub peanut butter (the creamy variety and NEVER the chunky one!!!) to the trim and rub it off after a minute or so...

VOILA!!!!!

Beautiful black rubber/plastic trim in matte finish unlike Armor-All its ilk where the finish is shiny. My beloved Opel Astra G Estate's +1M points better looking now... Peanut butter consumption?? I purchased the smallest bottle of the Lily's Creamy Peanut Butter and I only used up a fourth of it... Imagine, where can you use such a thing where you can use it to blacken your rubber trim and for sandwiches at the same time??? Grin

There are a few things that I have to observe though. 1) Will the finish last only until the next wash? 2) If not, how long will it last before I have to apply another coat of peanut butter? 3) Will I have stowaways in my car (think ants... YIKES!!!!!!!!!), dogs licking or worse, gnawing at my rubber trim???

ABANGAN!!!!!!!!!!
    i prefer using armor all.
    i do not like the idea of ants or my kid licking my plastic trims.
    and besides, it could really be sticky...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    di ka kaya langgamin nyan?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    i prefer using armor all.
    i do not like the idea of ants or my kid licking my plastic trims.
    and besides, it could really be sticky...
    merong mga purpose ang mga gamit, food dapat kainin, for protection meron din mga products, armor all meron naman ibang products na makukuha na hindi shiny pag apply mo, with the same protection.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Actually it's not sticky unlike armor all...

Regarding the ants and vermin, there's only one way to find out now...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Im using Armor All also just to protect the black rubber and plastick trim.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    try using Mothers Protectant, very good product

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    I have read about that tip before, and I've tried it once when I tried removing some dried polish from the exterior trim of the CR-V. However, I eventually used some APC and a brush, as the peanut butter tip apparently didn't work for me.

If your aim is to "maintain" your car's rubber, vinyl, and plastic trim, then I would agree with the others.

IMO it's better to regularly use a protectant for your car's exterior trim. Protectants are specifically formulated for those types of surfaces. They also provide some shield to the sun's UV rays, which I guess is one of the worst enemies of exterior trim.

Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------
    Jon

My auto detailing experiences:
    http://autodetailingexperience.blogspot.com/

Peanut butter for our black rubber/plastic trim!!!!!