New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Hello, forum people! I hope you're collective wisdom can help solve my problem-- I have a Gen 2 Montero (2012) and suddenly both front and rear windshield washer pumps stopped working. The wipers work, though.

I have tried to check the fuses but there seems to be no fuse or relay for the washers and the ones indicated for the wipers are okay.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Where is the windshield washer reservoir? Based on where the filler neck is, it looks to be behind the driver's side bumper below the headlight. How do you access it? Does the bumper have to be removed?

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_man5210 View Post
    Hello, forum people! I hope you're collective wisdom can help solve my problem-- I have a Gen 2 Montero (2012) and suddenly both front and rear windshield washer pumps stopped working. The wipers work, though.

I have tried to check the fuses but there seems to be no fuse or relay for the washers and the ones indicated for the wipers are okay.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Where is the windshield washer reservoir? Based on where the filler neck is, it looks to be behind the driver's side bumper below the headlight. How do you access it? Does the bumper have to be removed?

Thanks.
    get close and personal, and hear if the motors whirr when turned on. if they do, then it's probably the washer fluid level or clogged plumbing..
    if the motor does not whirr, my default suspects are the switch or the relay, or the fuses.

i would check the fuse diagrams, in the manual and on stickers or imprinted onto the fusebox covers..
    these appliances always have fuses.
    if not dedicated fuses, they share fuses with other appliances.
    what other gadgets in the vehicle do not work?

generic rersponse.
    i don't monty.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Do you have evidence of rodents in the engine compartment? They could have chewed through the wires. They like nesting inside the fenders right where the reservoir is.

Similar issue happened to my car but the part that got eaten was the water line. Easily repairable but irritating. Good thing they left enough length to work on. Covered it with flexible tubing to prevent future chewing.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    get close and personal, and hear if the motors whirr when turned on. if they do, then it's probably the washer fluid level or clogged plumbing..
    if the motor does not whirr, my default suspects are the switch or the relay, or the fuses.
    I agree here.

nababawasan ba yung fluid? - if yes, then there's a leak somewhere
    if no - check if the washer motors are running (may sound yun)

if you hear the motor and di nawawasan yung water, its clogged somewhere.

lastly, when was the last time na ginamit mo yung washer mo?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    thanks for the speedy replies.

I've listened to for the pumps while activating the switches and the I don't hear anything from them at all.

The windshield washer reservoir is full. I had initially thought it had run dry but when i tried to top them off, they were still very close to full.

I haven't been using the car very often due to the pandemic but I'm pretty sure the washers were working prior to the time i discovered that they weren't because when backing out of the garage I always spray and wiper my windshield because there's a lot of construction going on in my area.

We don't have a rodent problem but there are always cats hanging about the garage. I wanted to do a visual inspection of the reservoir and the pumps but cant figure out how to get to them.

Electrically, everything else on the Montero seems to be working fine naman.

It's kind of funny, given how many Monteros are out there, that there's not much information about the electrical system or how to access the windshield washer reservoir on the Internet.

In a different age, I'd have just brought the car to Rey's Electrical and had them look for the problem. but I guess now we have to make do with what resources we have at the moment.

Again, thanks for the tips and I hope you guys keep the ideas coming!
    Last edited by ice_man5210; April 7th, 2021 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added something

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_man5210 View Post
    It's kind of funny, given how many Monteros are out there, that there's not much information about the electrical system or how to access the windshield washer reservoir on the Internet.
    have you tried checking the car's manual?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    have you tried checking the car's manual?
    yup. looking at it again now. nothing obvious to me though.

I'll try to post some pictures of the relevant pages later, maybe you guys will notice something I missed.

Thanks for the reply!

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    in many vehicles, the reservoir tank is visible at a quick glance at the engine bay.

but if you can't seem to see it,
    if you know how to fill up the reservoir,
    all you have to do is to follow the neck. it'll eventually end up in the reservoir tank.
    if i have to guess, it's located behind the front bumper.
    have a clean higaan ready, so's you can lie down on the ground and espy it from under the vehicle.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    20210407_121219.jpg

20210407_121249-1-.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    I found this, which seems pretty accurate with what I've been looking at in the garage:

which one could be the shared fuse/relay for the wiper pumps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast