New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    guys i need your help, im really planning to install a 6a13tt for my lancer 2001 glx, but somebody told me that my car will have a heavy front.. is this really a bad thing? what does it really mean?? what are the changes that will happen to my car's performance if it has a heavy front? sorry i really want to be careful in doing this project because i only have a limited budget.....

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Front heavy means exactly that... Bibigat harap ng kotse mo since that engine is quite big for a ck lancer body. You will have to upgrade your engine support and mounts, as well as your suspension to accomodate the heavier engine.

Define limited budget?

Dealing with engine swaps and turbos is not for the faint of heart and a shallow pocket, unfortunately.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by hyxe42 View Post
    guys i need your help, im really planning to install a 6a13tt for my lancer 2001 glx, but somebody told me that my car will have a heavy front.. is this really a bad thing? what does it really mean?? what are the changes that will happen to my car's performance if it has a heavy front? sorry i really want to be careful in doing this project because i only have a limited budget.....
    A heavy front would mean the car would plow in the curves. The front end will dip down deeper when you try to corner at faster speeds. The car will also have a harder time to take a corner, it will tend to prefer to go straight.

The best weight (front to rear) ratio is 50/50. This means 50% of the weight rests on the front wheels and 50% rests on the rear. Having a big heavy engine in front will offset the ratio to something like 65/35. This will result in bad handling and less grip for the rear tires.

Ride quality would also suffer since you have to install stiffer springs and heavier rate shocks at the front while the rear retains the current springs.

If you plan to drag race this car, there would be not much of a problem. But if you plan to drive this car on the highway at high speeds, you might want to think twice until you have sorted out the handling quirks.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ssaloon View Post
    Dealing with engine swaps and turbos is not for the faint of heart and a shallow pocket, unfortunately.
    So true. Even for my Project Sentra, the money spent on performance and repair work was beyond my original estimate by at least 50%. But in the end, I have a fast reliable car.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    So true. Even for my Project Sentra, the money spent on performance and repair work was beyond my original estimate by at least 50%. But in the end, I have a fast reliable car.
    Yup, same for me, around 40% above original estimate of costs. A friend of mine has an 8G Galant (shark). He swapped in a 6A13TT M/T, and converted it to AWD. He's spent close to 1M already since the original engine blew, and he sourced a mint-to brand new 6A13TT to replace it. Factor in the drivetrain upgrades, chassis stiffening, suspension/wheel and exhaust upgrades plus engine management mods, it's not far off from the truth

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hyxe42 View Post
    here's another term for you dude: understeer

baka mag start ka ng thread with the title "what is understeer????"

and another thing...

if you have a limited, you are not ready for your project

just coz a shop quoted you P75,000 for the engine swap doesnt mean your expenses end at P75,000

i'm 100% sure after spending P75,000, madami ka pa gastos after that

a lot of other things will definitely come up

set aside more money dude

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    understeer, just like what GH said earlier, it happens when you go through a corner and the front wheels will start to skid losing traction and causing the car to choose to go straight. sabi sa drift bible by keiichi tsuchiya, nissan S13 is one car that has strong understeer.

on the other hand, oversteer happens when the rear end is heavier or you have worn tires on the back (worn tires, less traction). in a turn, the rear swings to the direction of the curve too much hence, losing control. cars with strong oversteer are those with Mid engine configuration (the engine is in the middle or back. obviously the rear is heavier in this situation) like the toyota MR2 SW20.

if you still don't get it (like what i did before) you can watch these:

this video looks stupid but it actually made sense in some way. lol.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVPh4lumPQg&feature=related"]YouTube - Top Gear Stop Motion Oversteer Vs. Understeer[/ame]

and another one with real car and race track:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvOg2ydEY7Q"]YouTube - Oversteer and Understeer on the track[/ame]

hth
    Last edited by JJCarEnthusiast; September 7th, 2009 at 07:58 PM.

what is a heavy front?????