New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Mga ka-Triton 4x2 MT gearboxes, need your inputs please..

Rig: 2013 MS GLX 4x2 MT; EGR blanked, self maintenance since 15k PMS.. now at 23k ODO; Orig fuel filter still on, no CEL since day zero.

For the past couple of months, my gearbox "clacking" noise gets more obvious specially during idling *750rpm (AC off).. When I step (depress) on the clutch, and the flywheel disengages, I hear a normal/suwabe 4D56 natural engine noise.. Upon letting go of the clutch pedal, both abrupt and slow disengage, brings back the gentle/faint but annoying clack clack noise.. (My non-car enthusiast aunt even joked that my car now sounds even like an Isuzu Crosswind.. -no pun intended-

Background: Before even this symptom started, after my last long drive from Isabela to Manila, depressing the clutch pedal even produced squeeking sound. I was able to nail this down by putting hi-temp grease on the end of the Release Fork inside the gearbox, by opening the rubber boot and inserting my fingers on the release fork bearing and applied the grease... HOWEVER, the clacking noise remained while flyweel is engaged..

A. Could it be a thin MT oil?
    B. Could it be a release/throwout bearing issue?
    C. Also note that varying Diesel fuel brands (Shell VPN+, Unioil, Seaoil, Petron TD), does not elliminate the noise.

Any idea how much would this cost? -- Take down gearbox and check/replace release bearing?
    Also, will Casa honor the warranty if I already skipped 2 PMS's ,, coz self-maintenance na kasi ako, when it comes to regular oil change, EGR cleaning, and other minor works..

Feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ash0279; January 27th, 2014 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typo

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Thats the problem with self maintenance. Personally, i'd wait till the 3yrs warrenty before doing selfies on any vehicle. Keep in mind most dealers would aways make reasons to void warranty to keep the profit. If you skipped maintenance from dealer, they would automatically void warranty not unless you are good convincing these people that gearbox is not part of the PMS checklist. Do the self maintenance and basically you're on your own, bye bye warrenty. BTW i dont own one but i drive company GLx 2007 and 2009 YM, only the steering, suspension, and egr were the issues.

My bet, your release bearing or thrust race bearing is causing the noise and needs to be replaced.

Good luck.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Thats the problem with self maintenance. Personally, i'd wait till the 3yrs warrenty before doing selfies on any vehicle. Keep in mind most dealers would aways make reasons to void warranty to keep the profit. If you skipped maintenance from dealer, they would automatically void warranty not unless you are good convincing these people that gearbox is not part of the PMS checklist. Do the self maintenance and basically you're on your own, bye bye warrenty. BTW i dont own one but i drive company GLx 2007 and 2009 YM, only the steering, suspension, and egr were the issues.

My bet, your release bearing or thrust race bearing is causing the noise and needs to be replaced.

Good luck.
    Thanks for your feedback, at least you also agree/suspect that it might be the release bearing.. As for the Casa warranty, yes I already weighed that risk in one way or another as a DIY guy.

4. Join Date
    May 2010
    Check your Transmission supports.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRbossR View Post
    Check your Transmission supports.
    thanks sir, but tranny support is super intact and fresh since 1yr pa lang ng oto.. also double-checked it before typing this reply just to make sure..