New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Mods, paki-delete na lang kung may similar thread o paki-lipat kung maling forum. Thanks.

---

I'm thinking of buying an early 90's Pajero, but I'm really stupid when it comes to diesel. I've read from the other threads things like smoke, and watching out for splashing oil from the dipstick hole ... but I'd like to know more on what to watch out for in a used diesel engine, and in particular a Pajero. It's known as the Shogun in the UK, but there's a lot of used Pajero imports here that has air conditioning, manual transmission, and using diesel (rare to have all three on a UK Shogun at that age ... and at my price ).

So how do I make sure I'd get a good one? Should I also consider automatics? Any info will be highly appreciated. Cheers.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    Mods, paki-delete na lang kung may similar thread o paki-lipat kung maling forum. Thanks.

---

I'm thinking of buying an early 90's Pajero, but I'm really stupid when it comes to diesel. I've read from the other threads things like smoke, and watching out for splashing oil from the dipstick hole ... but I'd like to know more on what to watch out for in a used diesel engine, and in particular a Pajero. It's known as the Shogun in the UK, but there's a lot of used Pajero imports here that has air conditioning, manual transmission, and using diesel (rare to have all three on a UK Shogun at that age ... and at my price ).

So how do I make sure I'd get a good one? Should I also consider automatics? Any info will be highly appreciated. Cheers.
    this is the very basic of checking the engine. one is yung splashing oils sa dipstick. but be carefull also coz, if yung may ari ay nilagyan ng fully synthetic oil ang engine, halos mawawala ang splashing na yan at yung maitim na usok. kaya better na painit mo muna ang engine pag tinest mo na then check the dip stick...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Para wala nang hulaan, just have the unit compression tested.

Even engines in good condition can manifest those 'blow-by' symptoms so a compression test takes out the guesswork.

www.pocuk.com is a great resource.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    sir,
    the best way is tag along your trusted mechanic so that he can check the engine, suspensions, etc of the vehicle.

and make sure you road test the unit so you can check the brakes, clutch, suspension, cooling system, a/c, etc.

expect to spend a little more after buying since these 13+ year old vehicles has some "hidden" defects which would come out in a few months...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    used to own a '93 pajero turbo diesel. the most dependable vehicle i've owned. served me for 10 years and never had any problem.

get at least a '93 para turbo diesel na. this suv is great looking in stock form and will add up lots of pogi points with a mags upgrade. it's also economical, giving at least 8-10 km per liter of diesel. jump seats at the back are great making it a 7-8 people hauler.

it's a very capable 4x4 as it didn't even flinch when i brought it to sagada for some off roading and mountainbiking. also drove all the way to leyte without any incident.

what more can I say......It's so dependable you'd think it's a TOYOTA!

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the replies.

I guess I have to test drive one first then pop out the hood for the engine inspection. The compression test would mean I have to buy from a dealer (more expensive), unless a private seller agrees to return my money if it fails the compression test.

Mahirap magsama ng mekaniko ... wala kasi akong kilala na diesel mechanic dito. I also expect the unit to have a problem or more. Huwag lang sana major faults.

*OTEP - Thanks for the link. Kulang oras ko para basahin yung forum ... info overload

BTW, will I gain much with a 2.8tdi? The intended use is for school runs and the occasional family trips (all seats occupied).

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Wala bang 3rd party na nagcocompression test diyan? (e.g. engine rebuilding places/third party repair facilities). Dito kasi you can take the vehicle in for compression testing prior to purchase (depende sa usapan niyo ng seller). Kumbaga parang 'test drive'. And papa-compression test mo lang naman yung unit na talagang bibilhin mo na.

2.8Tdi is light years ahead of the 4d56. Timing chain na siya. Makes around 25bhp more to boot. Also not as prone to becoming smoky.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    if they won't allow it to have a compression test before buying it, That's not a good deal, unless your in an auction... IMO

if you really want a comfort and stressless ride specially going uphill, A/T is right for you. if you always overtake vehicles on highways, and you want to feel a push from the seat feeling, (undershift)mas maganda yung M/T.
    Last edited by rion; September 17th, 2006 at 11:16 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Most private sellers are willing to subject the vehicle to a full road test and compression testing basta reasonable ang usapan niyo. Sa auction kasi, start engine lang ang pwede.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Thank you uli

No, hindi naman sa auction kukuha. Meron din ditong talyer para sa compression test. Anyway, I'll take all your advices in. Sa ngayon eh medyo mahirap maghanap ng 2.8 na kasya sa budget (minus the allowance for repairs). Kung meron man, malayo at nandun sa dulo sa norte ... nandito naman ako sa dulo sa south.

Haaay ... hanap pa rin ako sa ads every week.

Tips when buying a 91-93 Pajero?