New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Guys, indulge me. I test drove a total of four cars today, The Pajero GLS Diesel, The Outlander, the Space Gear and the Isuzu DMAX....

Yesterday, after failing to drive the Pajero GLS in Mitsu's promo at the Fort, i vowed to return with a vengance today... which i did.

Grabbing my Dad, we went there 9AM sharp. Hahaha! Guess who was first in line for the Diesel Pajero??? MEEEEEEE!!!!

Other people were already test driving the Black Gasoline Model... who cares about a 3.8L V6 anyway

Okay... i took my sweet time familiarizing myself with my future cockpit. Leather and Titanium accents rule!

I was looking for the familiar compass,inclinometer,altimiter combo. I didnt find it... but when i powered on the 4M41... pucha! It was there in blue digital LCD glory! Parang VTEC controller itsura, but much better... it almost looks like pioneer's OEL displays.... almost. I only tested the compass... it had outside temp displayed as well as ambient air pressure (barometer). Yeah i know, most of you guys dont care about that. but i do. you see, im a geek. I love all these techie thingies.
    The hood presented a view which im not familiar with. After adjusting the frickin power seat (di ako sanay sa ganito), i have to say that forward visibility is excellent for a vehicle this size. I'll be honest... the hood bulges look dumb when viewed from the inside

The 4M41 is quiet when idle... or maybe its just the loud sound system at the Fort. No visible smoke from the exhaust (when i was watching the other guys that followed me). But upon revving, i have to say that the noise isnt really pleasing. Yes, even my 4D56TDiC sounds a lot better. The noise is so.... mechanical. Parang tunog ng truck.

SO i pulled the InvecsII to D and shifted into semi-auto mode and started moving... first i wanted to test the handling, so even before turn1, i did some kinda slalom swerves (with the blessing of the Sales Engineer and Sales Agent), DAMN!

You will not believe me, but this thing handles pretty well for a big SUV! Plus one point for FIS! The ride is NICE. I can tell you that hindi siya matagtag at all. I intentionally went over some manholes and the vibration was not transmitted to the cabin! if you know what the manholes in the Fort look like, then you'd be impressed. Plus another point for "All Coils". Now i see how primitive my current ride is! Shet! This is the future!

Power? Let's just say that the Pajero's days of being known as the ampao of the SUV bunch are over. Though, even with 165ps (official figure), it's still no sports car. The accelleration was okay... PERO TEKA, i used a clutchless transmission! Imagine if this had a REAL Manual?!

With ABS and Traction Control..... i guess oks na rin.

The best news for today was that my co-pilot was quite impressed too. Soon daw.... hahaha! :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh Soon cant come soon enough.

Next car please!

The space gear was so-so. First off, i was not impressed with some of the interior fit and finish of the car. In fact, some of the plastic looked cheap! Accelleration was not good and Body Roll was everywhere... actually nakakatakot nga if you dont corner properly(unlike the Pajero which seems sooo planted on the ground). Anyway, im not a van person at all. My dad was the one who insisted on test driving this.

Next!

The Outlander.... powered by the same engine as the space gear with fulltime 4WD and InvecsII, this showed more promise. The ability to manually shift the gears is a huge plus. Exterior and interior styling are better than your average mini ute. but still the question needs to be asked... "Is it an SUV or a 4WD Wagon?".... crossover.

AND....

The Isuzu DMAX... This was the most fun drive of em all!!!

Im not a van guy and im also not a pickup guy, but the DMAX has got me thinking! Damn this is good. Imagine having HT's and yet crossing a mud pool! (Ewan ko lang kung may daya). The Isuzu test track was created by the same guys who organized the Tough Truck challenge (next week), so conceptually, its the same... albeit a lot more mild. it had ruts, moguls a sideways incline a mud crossing and a mini hill climb.

The Push Button Isuzu 4WD system performed admirably. I had to remind myself "no clutch, no clutch, no clutch" when going through the course in 4L....

Fulltime 4WD is not supported though.
    Last edited by Ungas; November 24th, 2003 at 03:21 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Black is indeed beautiful!

The DMAX, my new Fave Pickup!.... Killer Looks, Decent Diesel.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmmmmm....so if you have the money to spend NOW-TODAY-AT THIS MOMENT-ANY-CAR-WILL-DO,what would you chose?
    the pajero or the d-max!?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    see you in a few years

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Glennster, the answer is pretty obvious my friend. My Mum actually wants me to get a new Pajero. She thought that 1.7M pa rin yung price. Financing is not an option. Goddam excise tax!

Pare punta ka! Sayang din. You can do almost anything with the test vehicles, as long as paalam mo sa sales engineer.

Alam ko hanggang ngayon na lang yan.
    Last edited by pajerokid; November 23rd, 2003 at 01:34 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ehrhehrehr...

ganda ng black..pero ang liit ng magz talaga eh....herhehrehr..my tito who owns a white v6 version had his magz changed to i think.....20's....ganda na....

pero for everyday driving...parang mas gusto ko d-max!!!ganda!!!!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I agree. to think 16" na mags niyan....

bling blingz? hehehe. I think putting in 12" tires would do the trick.... i think theyll fit.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    hangang what time yan PK?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    9am-9pm yan..kakabasa ko lang sa newspaper.. and i think may concept car pa ata yun.

i like the look of d-max..mura pa hehehe

sana alam ko nung isang araw yan naghatak sana ako ng kasama pumunta

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Not sure lang odell, baka nga 9pm.

I went back this afternoon before meeting a prospective buyer of computer periphs. Nagkita kami ni Nico alyas djerms, nag test drive siya nung DMAX... ganda talaga, not to mention powerful! Muffled yung lubak pero matagtag pa rin.... what do you expect from leaf springs?

The good thing about the DMAX is that the 2WD versions have the exact same height as the 4WDs. Unlike L200's and hiluxes na mas mababa clearance ng 2WD versions.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Short Take:  Pajero GLS, Outlander, Space Gear, Dmax