New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    guys, i currently have a pajero gen 2, local.

first question, what is the stock gear ratio?

second question, is can i lower the gear ratio (ex 4.56 to 4.10 or 3.80)? medyo natataasan talaga ako sa rpms ko. i know that if i go to a lower gear ratio, i will lose torque, but that is okay with me as my ultimate goal kasi is to lower my rpms at a top speed of about 120 kmh.

what do you think? is this doable or adviseable?

thanks in advance,

andy

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think the stock gear ratio is 5.29 (great for off-roading and aids in accelerating from a standing start).

There are other ratios available in the Pajero line up. Including- but not limited to-4.11 and 4.88. However, not all of them will fit into your axle housing and you will need both a front and rear set. Pajeros of different engine and transmission combinations sometimes use different axles. Finding one that will fit will require some research. Do try reading the forums of www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi . They are trying to put 5.29's in their Monteros to compensate for the bigger tires they use. I think they also have an archive as to what axle which model uses.

Btw, a numerically low gear ratio is the higher gear ratio. A 5.29 is a lower gear ratio than a 4.88 and so on. In effect, what you want to put into your Pajero is a "taller" (higher) gear as opposed to the "short" (lower) gearing you have on right now.

A set of stock 5.29 gears costs around Php 25,000.00 at the dealer. That is, if they can find one. Word has it Mitsubishi has stopped production of some gears and are just waiting for the stock to run dry.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    otep, thanks for the info buddy. and f150 ko dati 3.55 lang ang gear ratio. that's why when i went to 33 inch tires, medyo mahina na ang arangkada.

kung 25,000 per set sa casa, and i need two sets, that's 50,000, minus the casa markup (if i can fins some outside) that will still be in the region of 30 to 35 grad....mabigat pa rin

otep, since you went to 33s already, is your cruising rpms a bit lower? they should be, diba?

maybe i should just do what you did and go to 33s?

andy

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    U.S. domestic trucks generally have taller gearing. Makes great for freeway cruising but won't accept big tires too well.

Remember that with tall gearing your acceleration suffers as well. This is not really a problem with trucks running big V8's. But for a 4-banger diesel, you might want to take this into consideration.

The Php 25,000.00 price is still subject to the standard-practice 10-15% off practiced by most dealers (Mitsubishi included). Instillation however, is still an added costs and ring and pinion gears can only be installed by trained personell to avoid gear lash.

My acceleration is a bit slower now. However, can't comment as to whether it has reduced my rpm per given speed because my speedometer is currently non-functional.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    yup, mahirap talaga ang small engine diesel, but that's why i got a pajero, para tipid sa diesel and spacious sa loob.

in relation to my earlier question, any other tips and tricks on how to reduce rpm given same kmh?

maybe i am just not used to running anything higher than 3000 rpm when cruising

andy

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    luckytruck, i think that is basically the problem with the 4D56 TDi engine. The upside is matipid ito sa krudo! if you really want to improve the crusing rpm speed, you may want to open up air intake (via open type air filter) and at the same time increase the turbo boost. no need for the exhaust mod coz it is already good as it is.

the 4M40 TDi engine, at 3000 rpm, already cruises at 120+kph.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    thanks woodire, open type filter and cranking up the boost will be my first mods once i have settled down with my 4d56. gusto ko sana mag-4m40 pero wala pa talagang budget. construction pa kasi sa bahay. 4d56 na lang for the nest two years siguro.

i emailed you regarding your strada.

thanks,

andy

pajero gen 2, change the gear ratio?