New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    today i noticed thin white smoke coming out of my tail pipe... so i checked the breather hose, there is also thin white smoke coming out... IS MY PAJERO BLOW-BY???? btw, its a 4D56 TDIC A/T Pajero..

TIA

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Blue White Tinted Exhaust Smoke

A perfectly healthy diesel will have no visible exhaust smoke except for start up and acceleration. A little blue smoke (oil burning) on start up is normal and some diesels will have a bluish smoke at idle that should disappear with increased throttle. I don’t like to see any blue smoke but not all diesels are perfect. I remember one of my automotive teachers comments about a light blue smoke from an old truck engine, he said, “That’s just good lubrication”. (Today that truck wouldn’t pass emissions testing, sorry teach). Blue smoke that stays in the exhaust throughout the RPM range is another reason to do more investigating. If I see a lot of blue smoke, red flag! I always keep in mind that blue smoke in the exhaust is a sign of lubricating oil burning in the combustion process, not a definite reason to say that the engine is worn out. Oil can be slipping past the engine rings because it is diluted with diesel fuel. There can be a bad turbo charger seal, a clogged air filter (a very bad sign about maintenance), or there can be oil in the fuel!

Accurate Machinery LLC

other info i got was about PVC's.. clogged up PVC would also seem like a blow by engine.. where is the PVC in the 4d56 engine located?? is it the breather hose on top of the valve cover??

tia

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pa-compression test mo para sigurado.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I agree. Have a compression test done immediately. Compression figures from a 4d56 workshop manual:
    Standard figures - 3,040 kPa * engine speed of 280 r/min
    Minimum limit - 2,200 kPa * engine speed of 280 r/min
    Difference between cylinder readings should not exceed 300 kPa

Has your rig been burning oil lately? On a diesel engine white smoke usually means diesel fuel could be mixed in your oil. Check the bypass plug of the fuel injector. If there's a leak here diesel fuel goes directly in your engine.

Didn't you have your turbo cleaned/serviced recently? As stated in your post lifted from Accurate Machinery, it could also be a busted turbo charger seal.

Hope this helps.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    tnx for the tip.. know any shop that does compression testing near manila area?? als how much does it cost?

yes paj, i had my turbo cleaned recently.. and had that seal replaced, will also try to check out if the turbo is oily again..

i have logged 3T kms since my last change oil ad there were'nt any sign of loss of oil... however, last month i went up to baguio and before going down i checked again the oil dipstick, it read lower.. so i added almost half a liter of oil... since then. i've been checking if my rig still consumes, and it does'nt....

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    What about the diesel-CRDI engines? Is it normal having the same color of smoke?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    AutoTechnica along Commonwealth Ave (right after fairview market if you are coming from EDSA) offer compression testing. They charge 300 (or 150 yata) per cylinder for 2.5 - 3.0 liter engine. Here's the contact number: 4616400 - 04, Ernie Reyes Service Manager (9202204845). You have to be early as you need to cool down the engine to conduct compression testing.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if your rig consumes oil excessively without leaks.... well... im sorry to break the bad news but yeah, most likely.

But hey, i could be wrong.... compression test na!

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i checked out the turbo, its not oily... also there's nomore white smoke coming out of my tailpipe today... hmmm its driving me nuts! :lol:

checked again the dipstick.... no signs of oil depletion..

thanks for the info on the compression test. will visit them one of these days..

btw.. my breather hose, on the valve cover is disconnected from the intake since oil coming out of it is another reason for clogging up the turbo... i just leave it pointing down, and its now oily in that area... is it normal that hose to get so oily? ai'nt it another sign of blowby?

tia
    Last edited by v22; June 20th, 2005 at 12:50 PM.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by v22
    btw.. my breather hose, on the valve cover is disconnected from the intake since oil coming out of it is another reason for clogging up the turbo... i just leave it pointing down, and its now oily in that area... is it normal that hose to get so oily? ai'nt it another sign of blowby?

O/T question lang po...

Is it normal for exmaple like engine of mine D4D to have oil coming out of the breather hose of the valve cover also??

I found this out that there's oil on the rubber tube(where breather hose of valave cover connected) that's sucks air from air filter...

WBR,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
is my pajero blow-by???