New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    There are many cases lately of montero models from 2012 onwards with the new fuel filter design encountering check engine light (CEL) due to fault in the fuel filter,

1. is it mainly due to bad or dirty fuel?
    2. or is it a good or bad design of the fuel filtering system?

what's your interval in changing the fuel filter element? I changed mine at 19k, 23k and 35k kms all due to CEL caused by dirty fuel. I am close to 50k PMS and due for replacement again. so for 50k kms, I will have to change my fuel filter element 4x.

it's always the case that CASA put the blame on the dirty fuel. the filter element is not part of warranty so we have to buy from them. but it's good to note that the filter is functioning properly and doing its job right? it's a consumables so its normal to change at certain interval.

but why is the earlier models of Montero with the steel cased fuel filter does not normally encounter this? is it more durable and robust in design being longer compared to the element type? is it less sensitive and have more tolerance to fuel dirt than the new filter element? the older model of Montero's can easily reached 20k kms without encountering CEL and changing their fuel filters.

casa will always insist that its the quality of fuel you filled your tank, but what happen when every 5k or 10k kms and you have to change the fuel filter element? is it still a good design and practical?

the old steel cased fuel filter used by earlier models (photo borrowed from sir prince),

the new plastic fuel filter casing and the filter element,

Last edited by monty_GTV; January 27th, 2014 at 04:33 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    ang tanong, is there an alternative element fuel filter na ok quality? ano ba ang swak sa montero natin? medyo mabigat kasi pag aasa sa price ng casa e

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dct View Post
    ang tanong, is there an alternative element fuel filter na ok quality? ano ba ang swak sa montero natin? medyo mabigat kasi pag aasa sa price ng casa e
    if inabot ko yan filter casing palit element, papalitan ko yan ng 2008-2011 type, para baldwin pa mailalagay ko. bawi in no time yung gastos , no cel issue. pero sa inyo after 3 years pa due to wArranty syempre

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Madami pwedeng causes nyan kasi. One is, obviously and that is why the casa says it often, bad fuel. Do you check the filter element that was removed? Makikita mo naman kung madumi talaga. Another is water in the fuel, which is again bad fuel. Water in the filter housing will trigger the sensor and cause a cel. 1st thing to do is change gas stations, go to a newer one or one that is not in a flood prone area. If you already switched gas station and you still find water in the fuel then there is also the possibility that the water may not be from the gas station, it could be due to a bad fuel filler cap gasket, or a small hole in your tank or filler tube that allows humid air to go in at night. Try keeping your fuel tank mostly full as a full tank will not let much humid air in and therefore less condensation. And if you notice that there is less water after this exercise (which may take several months) then you might want to consider having your fuel tank checked.

Another factor you need to consider is the filtering ability of the filter element. What is the micron rating? 10 uM, 5 uM, 2 uM? The finer the element the faster it gets clogged, BUT it is just doing its job as it was designed. So check mo yung micron rating ng filter, both types, then compare. Take into consideration that a 10 uM filter may take a long time before it needs replacement but it lets everything 9uM and below to pass and wear your pump and injectors. A 2 uM filter gets clogged fast but it offers the best protection for your engine.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    * sir dct, hopefully we can get a cheaper replacement copy ng oem or alternative filter element soon. mahal talaga yung sa casa

* sir zix, i have that in mind too, to replace the fuel filtering system with the 2008-2011 models. kaso nga under warranty pa...

* sir yebo, good points you have mentioned. i research ko nga ilang micron ratings ng dalawang filter. most likely the canister type will have a higher micron rating as it is showing more tolerance and longer replacement interval.

another thing pointed out in similar post i have in mscp was that its purely business in nature. mitsu originally designed a filter that does not sell well because it last longer and kaya i-tolerate ang maduming fuel natin, so now they designed a new one which is so sensitive para nga naman palit ka ng palit...

6. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zix888 View Post
    if inabot ko yan filter casing palit element, papalitan ko yan ng 2008-2011 type, para baldwin pa mailalagay ko. bawi in no time yung gastos , no cel issue. pero sa inyo after 3 years pa due to wArranty syempre
    simple lang ba yun sir zix?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    had our rig's fuel filter element changed on its 15k pms. since i'm having its 25k PMS today, i suppose a fuel filter change may be in order the next time around. gastos nanaman

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    had our rig's fuel filter element changed on its 15k pms. since i'm having its 25k PMS today, i suppose a fuel filter change may be in order the next time around. gastos nanaman
    * sir baludoy, hindi ba tsinek ng casa now yung filter element kung ok pa rin ba? it's good kung mapaabot mo till next PMS bago ka magpalit.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    filter-odo.jpgfilters.jpg
    sir ako sa odo na yan ako nag palit...OEM ng toyota gamit ko jan.madali lang pala..DIY ko lang wala pang 5 minutes..sayang nga eh meron na pala si sir zix na elements..mura lang...nxt palit ko 20k odo...sabay ko na lahat change oil filter,at fuel filter..

10. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Ito yung problem sa montero ng friend ko. Paano nyo pinalitan para makagamit ng aftermarket fuel filter like baldwin bf7535?

Buti yung sa uncle ko 2011 montero kaya hindi pa element type. Start ba ng 2012 element na?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Montero Fuel Filter element replacement