New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just curious. Is it possible to convert the existing 4x2 GLX, GLS and GLS V Monteros to 4x4 as an aftermarket modification? If Yes how much will it cost? Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Even if it was, it's not worth the hassle IMO. hehe.

Pero re: the main question, no idea po.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    interesting question. i would think it is possible. just like the 4x2 GU patrol, nakaabang na ata ang components sa front wheels for possible 4wd conversion

the only problem is where can you source the 4wd upgrade kit

try asking the casa first for a quotation and then search in banawe/evangelista. you can also google 4x4 queries on this

will ask the service officer of my dealer if can be done

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Possible, but Ridiculously expensive....

Selling the 4x2 and buying the 4x4 version is even more practical IMHO if you really want a 4x4....

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 111prez View Post
    interesting question. i would think it is possible. just like the 4x2 GU patrol, nakaabang na ata ang components sa front wheels for possible 4wd conversion

the only problem is where can you source the 4wd upgrade kit

try asking the casa first for a quotation and then search in banawe/evangelista. you can also google 4x4 queries on this

will ask the service officer of my dealer if can be done

tama sir, mas madali yung sa GU patrol....parang plug and play lang sya...actually I saw a 4x4 conversion kit nga before selling for only 50k+ only

Unlike kasi sa monty...ang daming kadramahan, may mga sensor sensor pa yan na kung ano ano...not to mention the mechanical parts pa to be added....

6. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    patrol also has electronic sensors and ECU

sa montero, its just the same. if you have the TPMS, its already there and will not really be affected

i can't think of any sensors that will be affected by the conversion

as for mechanical, well, bubutasan mo ang cabin to make way for the extra stick shift but that is the same with all other 4x2 conversions

as for the price, well i am not prejudging the cost until i get the quotation for it. mahirap mag conclude na "ridiculously expensive" or "not worth it" until we get the facts on the pesos and cents actual quotation. if you do know the price then perhaps you can post it for the guidance of the TS.

the price difference between the monty 4x2 model versus the 4x4 model is about P250T conservatively. lets weigh in on the cost based on this

then let the TS do his own cost-benefit analysis after all it is his budget

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Average price difference of a 4x2 vs. 4x4 (off the plant) is between 200-250k.... and this is already considered expensive. And a locoroco stated, doing an aftermarket conversion would be even be worst.... and more than the financial concerns, the inconvenience one would go thru.

Oh, and if you're to do this to a vehicle that is still under warranty, consider the warranty void the minute you do this.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roydok View Post
    Just curious. Is it possible to convert the existing 4x2 GLX, GLS and GLS V Monteros to 4x4 as an aftermarket modification? If Yes how much will it cost? Thanks.
    Yes it is easy to convert as long as you use OEM materials. But mapapamahal ka kung per piece bili. Better if you can find a wreck 4x4 MS tapos kahuyan mo. I've seen 4x4 pick-ups converted to 4x4, not much difference. Yung mga brakcet kasi at holes nakaabang na yan agad eh.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

9. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    just got this response from my dealer (talked to their vp of service): the 4wd conversion is not plug and play. you need to change the front wheel hubs and suspension (to handle the heavier load of the added differential)

front suspension, front differential and transfer case will cost more than P100T (not bad actually if this is all OEM) but he estimates the total cost to be between 20-30% of the vehicle cost. if the brandnew 4x2 monty costs P1.3M then conversion is at P260T * 20% of the vehicle cost, conservatively. considering some cost overruns, perhaps a more conservative budget should be P300T - if you have this done at the casa

but what drives up this cost beyond P100T he did not specific. perhaps labor? other parts? oil? etc, etc? alam naman natin na sa mga maliliit na bagay rin tumitira yung casa aside from the major parts

perhaps the TS can do a combination, i.e. get the major OEM parts and the rest aftermarket and have this done by a competent and trusted aftermarket installer

the comparative cost analysis should be between installing the 4wd kit or selling the 4x2 and getting a brandnew 4x4

i wish the TS good luck in his query and should he pursue the conversion, do keep us posted for the information and added knowledge of the montero sport community

10. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    ... Better if you can find a wreck 4x4 MS tapos kahuyan mo.
    a good alternative especially if you have the right casa/insurance contacts. i have seen wrecked 4x4s at the casa abandoned by the owners since these were all claimed under insurance already.

with the right connections, you can actually get these OEM parts cheap

in the past, i was offered by my nissan casa contact then of a nice set of presidential edition headlights and bumpers of a GU patrol that was rear ended badly and abandoned by the owner. the wrecked patrol was just in the casa gathering dust

i wonder if the shops in evangelista/banawe would have these parts although kung mga chop chop yan, medyo ma konsensya lang ako sa source, if you know what i mean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Montero 4x2 conversion