New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    dito sa baguio, karamihan sa mga taxi ay wagon type like FX, Revo, Adventure and Crosswind. sa ngayon, wala na bagong FX and Revo para sa mga mag change unit kaya its a choice between crosswind and adventure. maganda ang crosswind kasi matipid at malakas. the downside, mahal ang maintenance as compared to adventure so others opted for adventure while few prefer crosswind.

ang problema sa adventure ay mausok lalo na sa akyatan. but Filipinos are really good in exploring remedies to reduce the black smoke. many of the adventures here in baguio modified their muffler. its either palitan nila ng free flowing or tanggalin yong ibang chambers sa original na muffler para gawing free flowing. yes tahimik nga yong orig muffler kaso mausok at mahina sa akyatan dahil sa sobrang dami ng chamber sa loob ng muffler kaya di makahinga yong makina when you accelerate. nong ginawang free flowing na yong muffler ay nabawasan significantly yong black smoke at mararamdaman mo pa na at least lumakas ng konti yong hatak. the downside ay medyo maingay na yong tambotso.

anyway, share ko lang so others will also try because many adventure taxi here in baguio already did the same thing and i'm one of them since i am also a taxi operator. at least ngayon, happy na yong driver ko sa arangkada ng adventure at halos wala na ring black smoke kahit umaakyat yong advie. mahal ang multa sa smoke belching after all so sulit naman pag modify kahit medyo maingay na ng konti yong tambotso.

to those who want to try, advise ko sayo huwag nyo muna i modify yong orig muffler nyo. papalitan nyo na lang ng after market na free flowing muffler. baka kasi di nyo matiis ang ingay then pwede nyo ibalik yong dati. but i assure you you will see the significant reduction in black smoke when accelerating and lalakas ng konti yong hatak. its your call after all.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    It's not the muffler that's the cause of smoke belching. If the car smokes a lot, you can't be wrong that there's something wrong with the engine itself. I'm no good on diesels, but that's grade school car maintenance.

I reckon that the exhaust was full of soot. So when the muffler was replaced, the engine breathed freely. Back in the '90s, dad used to hose the exhaust on our Nissan Eagle with water while the engine was running. When it was revved, all of the black carbon-looking deposit on the exhaust blows out of the tailpipe. That pickup never lost its performance when it was on dad's hands.

And changing just the muffler won't give more power. You have to replace the headers, the catalytic converter, the pipe, and the muffler to gain even just a marginal increase in response (or power if any).

If you come to think of it, our cars have been designed by competent engineers, so there's no need to modify anything (well, unless you want to go racing or such). The best (and proper) way to maintain power of any engine is through regular maintenance done by reputable mechanics.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kuligligko View Post
    dito sa baguio, karamihan sa mga taxi ay wagon type like FX, Revo, Adventure and Crosswind. sa ngayon, wala na bagong FX and Revo para sa mga mag change unit kaya its a choice between crosswind and adventure. maganda ang crosswind kasi matipid at malakas. the downside, mahal ang maintenance as compared to adventure so others opted for adventure while few prefer crosswind.

ang problema sa adventure ay mausok lalo na sa akyatan. but Filipinos are really good in exploring remedies to reduce the black smoke. many of the adventures here in baguio modified their muffler. its either palitan nila ng free flowing or tanggalin yong ibang chambers sa original na muffler para gawing free flowing. yes tahimik nga yong orig muffler kaso mausok at mahina sa akyatan dahil sa sobrang dami ng chamber sa loob ng muffler kaya di makahinga yong makina when you accelerate. nong ginawang free flowing na yong muffler ay nabawasan significantly yong black smoke at mararamdaman mo pa na at least lumakas ng konti yong hatak. the downside ay medyo maingay na yong tambotso.

anyway, share ko lang so others will also try because many adventure taxi here in baguio already did the same thing and i'm one of them since i am also a taxi operator. at least ngayon, happy na yong driver ko sa arangkada ng adventure at halos wala na ring black smoke kahit umaakyat yong advie. mahal ang multa sa smoke belching after all so sulit naman pag modify kahit medyo maingay na ng konti yong tambotso.

to those who want to try, advise ko sayo huwag nyo muna i modify yong orig muffler nyo. papalitan nyo na lang ng after market na free flowing muffler. baka kasi di nyo matiis ang ingay then pwede nyo ibalik yong dati. but i assure you you will see the significant reduction in black smoke when accelerating and lalakas ng konti yong hatak. its your call after all.
    "maganda ang crosswind kasi matipid at malakas. the downside, mahal ang maintenance as compared to adventure so others opted for adventure while few prefer crosswind."

talga mahal ba maintenance? Meron kami hi lander at ipv both 4ja1 SUPER reliable engines (kahit sa baha), lagi ginagamit hindi naman mahal maintenance namin na gastos dun, regular change oil lang at filters kung kelangan na palitan, un lang gastos namin.

well wala lang share ko lang po.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    That's also a good observation since the Crosswind's engine is equally (or even more) reliable than the 4D56 on the Adventure; not to mention that it's got a more robust suspension.

modifying muffler of adventure