New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 492 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    Ano pa kaya kung sa Santa Fe nangyari yan.

Ehe-he-he!
    So safe sa AT ng Crosswind? :-D

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 20vanda01 View Post
    So safe sa AT ng Crosswind? :-D
    Ha-ha!

Sorry OT.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by synysterG View Post
    kasi kung talagang may 50 years driving experience siya especially with automatics, alam nya dapat na ibalik agad sa "N" yung lever with matching maximum tapak sa brakes para stop agad. it was indicated that the montero still jerked forward a couple of times after hitting the tree, which means na naka-engage pa din sa "D" yung A/T lever...
    yup. tama ka diyan sir. pwede rin dahil sa 50 years driving experience plus start of learning how to drive, mmmmmm..... maybe need some memory enhancer (brake pedal or accelerator pedal). medyo mahirap din blame yong ecu. kung ecu, dapat continue pa rin ang high rpm ng engine hangang maubos ang fuel or turn off yong key (possible hindi din ma off sa key) to stop engine running.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Both seems possible. Driver error, or a momentary electronics failure.

Pero medyo bothersome, as shown in the blog, that there are now at least 3 internet reported Montero sudden acceleration incidents. The other two reportedly happened at Lasalle Taft, and at Cavite.

If it is an electronic failure, we may start seeing more of these incidents. In time, we'll probably see if so or not.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    kasi kung talagang may 50 years driving experience siya especially with automatics, alam nya dapat na ibalik agad sa "N" yung lever with matching maximum tapak sa brakes para stop agad. it was indicated that the montero still jerked forward a couple of times after hitting the tree, which means na naka-engage pa din sa "D" yung A/T lever...
    Easier said than done when you are panicking at the heat of the moment...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Autobeat View Post
    Both seems possible. Driver error, or a momentary electronics failure.

Pero medyo bothersome, as shown in the blog, that there are now at least 3 internet reported Montero sudden acceleration incidents. The other two reportedly happened at Lasalle Taft, and at Cavite.

If it is an electronic failure, we may start seeing more of these incidents. In time, we'll probably see if so or not.
    Alarming na to kasi baka next time hindi na kotse, pader o poste ng kuryente ang mabangga kapag nangyari ulit yung incident na to..

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The thing is... this also happens sometimes with the Everest... that woman who turned turtle in the parking lot, that Everest that went over the railing of Starbucks in Tagaytay.

Some people are not used to the sudden surge of torque coming from these new CRDi engines... couple that with brakes on these Asian market SUVs (Fort, Montero, Everest) that are not designed to disengage the accelerator when they are pressed, and people will have a hard time controlling them. While, in my experience, the engine can overwhelm the brakes (the rear brakes can't stop the rear tires from spinning in a drag-launch), it won't be able to push the car forward at such speeds if you're full on the brakes and have the handbrake up.

And the carpet in that picture is not the kind that will be able to hook the pedal. It has to be the hard, deep-dished kind used by Toyota in the US, which can stick on top of the pedal when wedged against the seat behind it. It's impossible for it to hold the stiff shape required to push the pedal down... not unless it was stuck on top of both pedals.

That would point to possible driver error. 50 years of experience points to the dad being 65-75 years old... old age is a common denominator in most cases in the US. I think Mitsubishi was just being polite in blaming the floor mat!

The proper thing to do in this case would be to put it in neutral and shut off the engine. Hmmm... I've got to see if that works with the Montero Sport. I've driven numerous Monteros, and I have yet to experience any surging behavior such as you get with the Everest.

This is not to say I don't think there could be a mechanical cause... but in most cases of sudden acceleration, the driver panics and doesn't know what to do. I've seen one guy experience unexpected sudden acceleration in an old van (automatic, cable throttle... so it's actually possible the cable got stuck). Hit the guy in front, the engine racing and tires squealing... Van is stopped... engine racing, and instead of putting it in neutral and killing it... he panics, puts it in REVERSE and hits the car behind him. D'oh.

Very hard to blame anyone, not knowing how it all happened... but it's weird that this always seems to happen to someone's old dad, or grandfather, or a novice woman driver, or...

This is why all manufacturers should adopt the throttle disengagement system. Engine going off when the brakes are applied. Globally. And it's probably a good idea to copy BMW's idea... pulling the handbrake in an emergency disconnects the engine completely from the wheels and brings the car to a slow, ABS assisted, dead stop.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    MMC = Fail
    I think you're wrong.

if stepping on brakes wont help,,
    i think walang car mag accelerate ng nasa P or N.
    or kung nasa drive naman kahit sabihin na stuck yung accel pedal,
    pwede i turn off ignition key while stepping on the brakes hard and steady.
    Off engine, No banging..

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    mag-iistart naman po sa "N" diba? unlikely po mangyari yan kung sa "P" nagstart. kung sakali man pong makalabit, aatras po yan. it is possible na ganito po ang nangyari.
    yes puwede kung nag-ff siya ng engine while naka "N". then hand brake lang muna. Tapos nung aalis na uliot, puwede na start yung engine. Yung hindi aandar car kapag hindi naka "P" applicable yung kapag tinanggap susi before kasi umalis ng matagal or talagang nagpark.

Matagal na isyu na nga ito. Basta nung unang nabasa ko ito, lumalabas na yung gas pedal ang naapakan agad although sabi nung driver hindi totoo na nagkamali siya kasi may nagamit na siyang MS before ng kamag-anak din nila.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010

Remember that they had a busy day if you read the whole post of the original writer. Possible cause nga floor mat kasi iba-iba nag-drive. In my experience, kapag iba-iba nag-dri-drive, inaadjust-adjust yung drvier seat at minsan napupuwersa apakan yung mats. Ako everyday nga inaadjust ko floor mat kasi nga hindi na OEM floor mat na may holes gamit nila gaya ng sinasabi ng MMC. Yun pa rin ang safest mats kasi may mag-pre-prevent ng slippage.

After reading this again, try ko i-DIY na lagyan ng stopper yung car since andun pa yung stopper, hole na lang gagawinko sa floor mat. hehe. Dati kasi puro M/T lang ride ko.

Buti strada OEM floor mat pa.

But in the end, only God knows the exact truth.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

Mitsubishi Montero Sudden Acceleration Accidents [MERGED]