New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2005

It's been 10 years since Mitsubishi introduced its 1st CVT, at least for the Philippines, with its Lancer (Cedia body) GLS and MX CVT.
    How was your Mitsubishi CVT experience? Is it a reliable transmission? We all know Honda have had problems with GD body City/Jazz with its CVTs, explains the big comeback to conventional automatics with the current generation City and Jazz.
    I'm kind of curious how was it to operate/maintain a Mitsubishi CVT. Any good or bad experience you wanna share?
    Sensible comments are most welcome.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    ASX's CVT for two years of using still in a very good condition & no sign of any problem!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Nice. Thanks for the response *Noel.

I am wondering how is it in a longer haul. Some say Honda's CVT are disposable, I wonder how are older CVTs faring now. I wonder if we have Cedia body CVT owners here. And how well are their trannys stacking up now.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    My opinion bro, possibleng disposable din ang CVT ng mitsu. It is to protect their design & to keep their market moving. Kaya pag nasira, ang recommendation is replacement of the whole tranny.

Ang questions na maganda ring pagusapan is, which brand does have a longer design life span under standard use? Also, which brand does have the cheepest price of tranny replacement (including labor)?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Diba both honda and mitsu ise belt driven cvt, not chain driven?

I think the problem with honda before was the improper use of fluid. ATF ata ginamit nila instead of CVTF.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by babynos01 View Post
    Diba both honda and mitsu ise belt driven cvt, not chain driven?

I think the problem with honda before was the improper use of fluid. ATF ata ginamit nila instead of CVTF.
    Yes, I heard Honda uses belt (rubber) driven CVTs. And rubber belts, as well all know, snaps during the end of its lifespan.
    I know for a fact that Nissan and Mazda's CVTs uses chains and even lately, metal belts in its operations. Pero I have heard na JATCO which supplies Nissan, now also supplies Mitsu's CVTs. Curious talaga ako, if meron dito naka Cedia na CVT and how well are their trannys now.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    My boss has a Cedia CVT. I get to ride in it sometimes during my coding days. No juddering, hesitation, unusual noises, etc

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Di naman daw ba mahirap maintain JohnM? hehehe

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    Di naman daw ba mahirap maintain JohnM? hehehe
    Sunod lang sa PMS pagpalit ng CVTF. Otherwise no maintenance

Di naman dapat takaw-maintenance ang CVT since less ang moving parts compared to a normal AT. Ang issue sa Honda ay unang-una ATF ang nilagay sa mga tranny not CVTF kaya nagkandaloko-loko. Tapos nung medyo luma na pagpalit ng fluids off-the-shelf ATF naman ginamit ng mga talyer (or worse casa) instead of the (of course mas mahal) Honda OEM CVTF. Most likely di compatible ang rubber nila sa non-OEM fluid kaya BOOM!

Kaya for me I'd stick with OEM fluids for the tranny. Oil and coolant pwede na off-the-shelf.
    Last edited by JohnM; April 22nd, 2013 at 05:19 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Sunod lang sa PMS pagpalit ng CVTF. Otherwise no maintenance

Di naman dapat takaw-maintenance ang CVT since less ang moving parts compared to a normal AT. Ang issue sa Honda ay unang-una ATF ang nilagay sa mga tranny not CVTF kaya nagkandaloko-loko. Tapos nung medyo luma na pagpalit ng fluids off-the-shelf ATF naman ginamit ng mga talyer (or worse casa) instead of the (of course mas mahal) Honda OEM CVTF. Most likely di compatible ang rubber nila sa non-OEM fluid kaya BOOM!

Kaya for me I'd stick with OEM fluids for the tranny. Oil and coolant pwede na off-the-shelf.
    Wala naman nga din ako nakita na horror stories eh... Sana nga durable Mitsu matic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast