New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Good day mga chiefs, I hope you don't mind me asking this, but I read somewhere here sa forums na ang mitsubishi lancer GLS/Manu-matic has 3 ECUs or computer boxes daw. Is this true? and pati ba yung GLX/Manual transmission na lancer ay ganun din?

Is this on of the reasons why some people are reluctant to buy them (maintenance issue)? or maybe one of the reasons why mababa ang re-sale value nya?

Nonetheless, a second-hand lancer is still one of my top picks for a car upgrade, but I just can't help but be concerned about this ECU issue. I mean having to replace 1 ECU ay magastos na, 3 pa kaya?

Your inputs are greatly appreciated mga bossing.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That is not unusual. Even my 1999 Corolla GLi has multiple ECUs: engine, auto-tranny, and airbag ECU.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    That is not unusual. Even my 1999 Corolla GLi has multiple ECUs: engine, auto-tranny, and airbag ECU.

I see so basically other brand vehicles in the same class and year model generally have the same number of ECUs - 1 engine, 1 auto-tranny, 1 airbag?

Lately kase; I have been looking at upgrading from my old car to a 2003-up mitsubishi lancer, preferably either the GLS or MX models. Pagod nako mag manual and would really like to drive an automatic naman this time around .

Based on specs, the lancer is indeed a practical choice pero would maintnenance be an issue? particularly on the ECUs?

Thanks again sa inputs mo chief GhostHunter at pasensya na sa mahabang reply bossing.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHead View Post
    I see so basically other brand vehicles in the same class and year model generally have the same number of ECUs - 1 engine, 1 auto-tranny, 1 airbag?

Lately kase; I have been looking at upgrading from my old car to a 2003-up mitsubishi lancer, preferably either the GLS or MX models. Pagod nako mag manual and would really like to drive an automatic naman this time around .

Based on specs, the lancer is indeed a practical choice pero would maintnenance be an issue? particularly on the ECUs?
    ECUs aren't a maintenance item so it shouldn't even be on the list of "things to do" with your car.

If you are concerned about the ECU, just check the mitsu forums for any reliability issues with the ECU itself. There was an issue with the capacitors failing in some of an older mitsubishi galant model but that was more of a fluke than the standard.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    ECUs aren't a maintenance item so it shouldn't even be on the list of "things to do" with your car.

If you are concerned about the ECU, just check the mitsu forums for any reliability issues with the ECU itself. There was an issue with the capacitors failing in some of an older mitsubishi galant model but that was more of a fluke than the standard.

Thanks again for the input chief GhostRider, sige will look for this topic nalang in the mitsu forums. Maybe I'm just a bit a paranoid when it comes to these kinds of parts coz I know that they're really expensive especially if you have to replace all three ECUs at the same time.

Thanks again for your inputs chief.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    ECUs are only a problem if the car gets flooded. And even then, mostly if you leave the battery plugged in and they short out.

And even then, then ( :hysterical: ) the Lancer's ultra-low air intake is much more of a problem in floods than the ECU... on the 2000 MX and GSR models, the intake is right behind the front bumper... that's even lower than the EFI Sentra intake, which is behind the headlight... so if you're buying an EFI Lancer, just don't drive it in floods... period.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    ECUs are only a problem if the car gets flooded. And even then, mostly if you leave the battery plugged in and they short out.

And even then, then ( :hysterical: ) the Lancer's ultra-low air intake is much more of a problem in floods than the ECU... on the 2000 MX and GSR models, the intake is right behind the front bumper... that's even lower than the EFI Sentra intake, which is behind the headlight... so if you're buying an EFI Lancer, just don't drive it in floods... period.

Thanks again for this input chief Niky and sorry for the late reply. This just further justifies my fear that the lancer may indeed not be as practical a choice as I originally thought it would be. Sayang lang talaga at maganda naman package nya kaso madali pala syang tumirik pag nallubog sa baha ng biglaan.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Additional question lang po.... is there really no way to fix or modify the placement of the air intake? maybe there's a way to raise it higher it's current position??

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHead View Post
    Additional question lang po.... is there really no way to fix or modify the placement of the air intake? maybe there's a way to raise it higher it's current position??
    Yup. Easy. Just change to a cone type filter and remove the cold air ducting. Still not as good as a hood level intake, but better than nothing.

Mind you, I don't consider ECU and intake vulnerability to flood a deal-breaker when buying an auto... you just have to know what your car can and can't do... and simply avoid flood. I've seen lots of people buy crossovers (compact SUVs and unibody SUVs) simply because they're afraid of floods... then drive them through one without knowing the first thing about their flood fording capabilities... wrecking them, in the process.

Again... know your car. Know what it can't do. And don't do it. Simple.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Yup. Easy. Just change to a cone type filter and remove the cold air ducting. Still not as good as a hood level intake, but better than nothing.

Mind you, I don't consider ECU and intake vulnerability to flood a deal-breaker when buying an auto... you just have to know what your car can and can't do... and simply avoid flood. I've seen lots of people buy crossovers (compact SUVs and unibody SUVs) simply because they're afraid of floods... then drive them through one without knowing the first thing about their flood fording capabilities... wrecking them, in the process.

Again... know your car. Know what it can't do. And don't do it. Simple.
    Thanks again for this very insightful input chief Niky. I couldn't agree with you more... as the saying goes, "If you can't take the heat... then stop going to those dang sauna baths! ".

I guess it's good to know that there is still a way improve your chances in a lancer if you suddenly get stuck in tire-deep flood-waters while in a traffic jam.

Just one more add-on question (pls dont shoot me just yet ) - what about the Mitsubishi Adventure? does it suffer from the same "low-position air intake" problem as well? cause I'm also considering this as an alternative since it is generally much bigger and higher than the lancer.

Thanks again chief.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Lancer has 3 ECUs? Pls confirm.