New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Please give some reviews and comments about the '89-'92 Lancers, specially the Gti version.

How does it fair with regards to the ff:

-suspension / ride
    -interior space / ergonomics
    -chassis / body build quality
    -availability / price of parts
    -overall performance
    -any factory problems, etc.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    we own 2 89-92 lancers pero not the GTi variant but i think they're almost the same naman sans the engine type.

our main concern for our lancers is the suspension. 6 months after having it repaired at suspension shops like zafra, it broke down again. suspension bushings and wheel bearings are the ones always replaced.

for the availability of parts, there are some shops out there who still carry parts for the 89-92 lancer, one of these shops is eldorado (this one accredited by mitsubishi motors). some shops in banawe and in paco,manila (pedro gil) do carry some parts up to now.

you can go to www.mymitsu.com.ph for more info about mitsu cars or www.mitsulancerph.com for more info on mistu lancers.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i own a lancer glx 91 converted to lancer gti 91. they share almost everything except for the efi engine of gti. here is my .02 cents.

-suspension / ride

the suspension is just right for a daily driver and for occassional hataw and high speed runs. medyo mabilis lang masira ang ibang front suspension parts. just use OEM parts and it will take time for you to have it repaired it again. depende rin sa driving habit mo specially on the roads here in metro manila. the last time i have my front suspension repaired was 2 years ago. and so far so good.

-interior space / ergonomics

fortunately, everything is ergonomically designed. from gauges/controls to the position of shift stick. the space is good enough for a 13 year old car. every control is powered. i also like the front seats of gti for its body hug and sporty characteristics. but the aircon louvers can be easily broken off.

-chassis / body build quality

for more than a decade, i had no problems with the chassis or the body. of course, just like other cars, you have to maintain it by under and body wash.

-availability / price of parts

no problems with the parts availabilty. you can choose between OEM and replacement japan. And its cheap. And most of the shops in the metro carry this car's parts.

-overall performance

rating 1-10..10 to be the best.. ill give it an 8.5.

-any factory problems, etc.

I think its the aircon louvers.

Lancer gti is the most macho lancer that mitsubishi has released except for lancer evo series. Sporty for an early 90s car, body cladding, efi, sporty interior. Thats why my lancer gti will surely be my vintage car.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Thanks for your inputs.

With regards to the suspension problems, is it like defects for that model or depends on the usage. Will you rate the suspension at par with other cars, or easily damaged?

I don't have much experience with "1600 class size cars". I'm used to 2.0 cars. I also owned a Galant Gti before. I plan to get a Lancer Gti coz it's like a small Galant Gti. The only 1600 I used before was a '97 lancer glxi, used it for 6 mos. How would you compare the Lancer Gti to the '97 lancer?

How about braking performance?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    dont know if its a defect problem but i've read from these forum that even if its brand new pa lang, after 2 years they can here sounds coming from the suspension already.

LANCER GTi Reviews