New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    All great cars below or around P1M are often bound to be a common find on Philippine roads. Perfect example is the Honda Civic. It is one of the best cars in its class, and most people know that fact. So the next time they buy a new car, it's gonna be a Civic. The result... park anywhere, and there's a good chance that beside you is a Civic. These things are just everywhere!

Then we have the Lancer EX. Equally handsome car, if not better looking. Great engine, subtle (often accused to be bland) and well laid-out interior, features shared with the venerable Evo X, etc. These positions the Lancer EX up there with the Civic. But you don't get to see a lot of these babies, even though it's in the same approachable price range as the Civic. There's instant "exclusivity" even if you don't spend millions of pesos.

Thanks to Mitsubishi Philippines for that. I'm puzzled why they seem to have limited imports of the Lancer EX (CBU from Japan), when the demand is apparently high enough. But I'm not complaining... it's a good thing for us EX owners.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    ^^ Well explained, sir... I'll drink to that.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    actually the reason for it is me image problem before ang mitsu, so yung mga buyers medyo alangan gumastos ng hard earned money pag me doubt sa isang product..unlike the other brand na subok na "daw"..

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    actor21 nailed it right on the head. Mitsubishi is still (until now) reeling from the Pajero suspension scandal that almost bankrupted the company... On a personal level I know they now have good products but then again I don't want to reward the company for their sins of the past. Only time can heal it kaya when I was buying a car I never even considered the Mitsubishi brand...
    Last edited by tidus1203; March 29th, 2009 at 09:54 AM.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    *actor21

That's correct. Since Mitsubishi is facing hard times compared to it's other Japanese counterparts.

Also, it's not actually an "exclusive" car per say. I own a silver Evo X. The problem I noticed is that people are pushing towards purchasing/investing into sub-compact cars like the picanto(which actually won car of the year last in 08), swift, city, vios etc..etc.. where fuel economy is more important for them and also they can carry the same number of passengers as the typical compact car like our new lancer.

The reason why you see a lotta Civics is because noong mid 2007 palang eh mayrun nang Civic. Same with the previous gen Altis.

Ang magandang i compare is the new Altis vs. the Lancer. Mas nauna i launch yung Lancer kaysa sa Altis BUT why is the Altis so prolific compared to the Lancer? 3 reasons lang and it has nothing to do with "limited units available(maraming units on hand). Very stable yung company ng Toyota and mas mura yung Altis line-up nila, base model starting in the mid P700k compared to the base model Lancer which is nearly in the P900k. Also the engine choices ng toyota mas maganda, 1.6L to 2.0L so that you may have the same looking car pero kung gusto mong meadyo matipid sa gas you can opt for the 1.6L whereas sa Lancer it's always the 2.0L engine accompanied by a very heavy 1300kg curb weight for the lightest model and a near 1400kg curb weight for the top-of-the-line model. 1250kg lang yung heaviest Altis which is the 2.0L.

A personal note, I hate the rear passenger seats. They're so cramped.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I agree with the points raised above.

In addition, the 2.0L displacement in the sedan market is quite a limited market in the 1st place. The Altis and Civics that one see around in abundance are mostly 1.6L and 1.8L, respectively.

And yes. Mitsubishi has acquired a reputation as "sirain" in the previous-generation Lancers.

The EX variants is their way to recapture that market. But sadly, the push towards a "sporty" image failed to win many adherents for now.

Most people buying their first vehicle have "family use" as the primary consideration. And this market goes currently to the Innova and Avanza depending on the budget.

Those who consider the sedan either goes to the "reliable" Toyota Altis or the "prestige" of the Honda Civic. Not many for the sporty Lancer EX.

Perhaps, this would explain the "exclusivity" for now.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    imo

If Mitsubishi wants to sell more lancers, they should bring in the 1.8 variant and price it near the low end altis and civic.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    To me, resale value is important. The previous Lancer GLXi that we had was problematic and didn't had very good value when we sold it on it's 6th year. On the other hand, our 6th gen Civic VTi which we sold on it's 8th year (also with higher odo reading) was sold about 40k higher than the 6 y/o Lancer.

So, we got another Civic.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Whatever the reason is, I'm still thankful that people continue to choose Civic, or even Altis. Honestly, I would prefer to have much less Lancer EX around, as I said in the original post.

So guys, keep buying Civics. They are really, really good, reliable, has good fuel economy (non-2.0L models) and they still look great after several years from launch. Hidden agenda aside, I honestly love the Civic as well (except for the proliferation part).

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinxx View Post
    imo

If Mitsubishi wants to sell more lancers, they should bring in the 1.8 variant and price it near the low end altis and civic.
    Depends. Having more mechanical variants will also make it expensive for Mitsubishi to keep spare parts in stock (parts specific to either the 1.8L or 2.0L version).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Lancer EX = affordable exclusivity