New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Also, using 4H on dry pavement will not only wear out your tires faster, but more importantly, your gears (the 4WD system that is) will bind or it will grind on itself.
    If you want full control during high speed with twists and turns on dry or wet pavement, all-wheel drive is the way to go...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Strada uses a conventional 4wd system designed for use on surfaces with adequate slippage (loose surfaces, mud, slippery surfaces). Otherwise, 'binding' will occur and can damage the drivetrain.

The Montero Sport uses the Super Select system and can operate on paved roads in 4H because it has a viscous center differential to eliminate binding on dry surfaces.

Lock the center differential and it operates no differently from a conventional 4wd system.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    If you're going in a straight line, no.

You will only really notice if the roads are very slippery (in which case, you shouldn't be going anywhere near 150 km/h) or in very tight turns where you might experience wheel-binding.

4H should never be used at high speed or on a dry road, it's pretty bad for your tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    Also, using 4H on dry pavement will not only wear out your tires faster, but more importantly, your gears (the 4WD system that is) will bind or it will grind on itself.
    If you want full control during high speed with twists and turns on dry or wet pavement, all-wheel drive is the way to go...
    Sir niky & Sir LN106G,

Applicable lang po ito sa Part time 4wd? or even sa mga full time 4wd? sa super select po, pwede sa 2H at 4H, in dry road condition. (yun po ang nakalagay sa manual even dun sa sticker na nakadikit po sa gilid ng pinto sa driver seat)

Since under-used po yung sasakyan namin, minsan ginagamit ko po yung 4H, sa dry pavement para ma-lubricate yung gear sa transfer case, (80 KPH Max) then sa wet road condition naman, nasa 120KPH, in a short period of time. (5mins)

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I have tried using the 4H on our Strada GLS Sport V on our way to Sorsogon last December. The steep and sharp twisties were a real proving ground for the car. It felt very much more planted and secure than in 2H mode. There seemed to be less body roll and corners were taken with confidence and poise. On the straights I was able to push it upto around 110km/h. Acceleration was definitely not as quick as in 2H. According to the MID, FC increased from around 9+km/L in 2H to around 7+km/L in 4H. Same driving style, in the twisties.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

5. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I have tried using the 4H on our Strada GLS Sport V on our way to Sorsogon last December. The steep and sharp twisties were a real proving ground for the car. It felt very much more planted and secure than in 2H mode. There seemed to be less body roll and corners were taken with confidence and poise. On the straights I was able to push it upto around 110km/h. Acceleration was definitely not as quick as in 2H. According to the MID, FC increased from around 9+km/L in 2H to around 7+km/L in 4H. Same driving style, in the twisties.

One word: Understeer.

Placebo effect lang yung handling.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRbossR View Post
    One word: Understeer.

Placebo effect lang yung handling.

Sir SiRbossR,

Correct me Sir if i'm wrong, Similar po ba sa "Pivot"? once na high speed straight pavement (dry) at biglang steer, even sa max steering angle, once na hindi po na hindi ma-correct by means of brake or slowing down? deretso po ba ito sa explain why?..

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If the Montero Sport is a viscous system and full-time, then there is no problem... as you can't switch to 2WD, anyway.

But such systems can still benefit from a 2H switch. The Nissan X-Trail comes with one, and that actually makes a huge difference in economy and power.

Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post

If there's less roll, then the car isn't cornering as hard. Hmmm... don't recall ever slaloming the Strada back-to-back in 4HI and 2HI... would be an interesting test.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Understeer galore

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    The Strada uses a conventional 4wd system designed for use on surfaces with adequate slippage (loose surfaces, mud, slippery surfaces). Otherwise, 'binding' will occur and can damage the drivetrain.

The Montero Sport uses the Super Select system and can operate on paved roads in 4H because it has a viscous center differential to eliminate binding on dry surfaces.

Lock the center differential and it operates no differently from a conventional 4wd system.
    Agree with Doc here. For the Mitsubishi Super Select system, 4H is different from 4HLc.

4H is "4WD, high range, viscous coupling, centre differential free for safe, highly stable driving on roads in virtually any conditions". 4HLc is "4WD, high range, centre differential locked for extra traction while traveling on rough roads or other low-grip surfaces at normal driving speeds".
    Last edited by Monty; January 21st, 2015 at 02:27 PM.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

If there's less roll, then the car isn't cornering as hard. Hmmm... don't recall ever slaloming the Strada back-to-back in 4HI and 2HI... would be an interesting test.
    Don't know of it's placebo as mentioned. But at the time it was raining continuously then, so the ground was wet. At higher speeds, while at 2H, I felt less in control of the fronts than I would've wanted. As if they were going to slide out upon turning due to the slippery road, which I suppose is the understeer mentioned. Upon shifting to 4H, it stuck to the road like glue, ran exactly the way I wanted, and cornered exactly where I wanted it to turn in without any drama.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast