New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Hi guys,

Im using a Lancer 1997 GLXi. About 3 years ago, the speedometer and odometer ceased functioning. I discovered that they would work again once I disconnect the battery and reconnect it (parang "reset"). Even the odometer reading seems to have catched up with the lost mileage. However, about a day after the reset is made, the problem will go back with the speedometer reading staying at 20kph regardless of actual speed.

This year, I decided to fix the problem. I bought a new speedometer and odometer. They worked fine for the first few hours until the exact same symptoms came back.

I heard that many other people suffered with speedometer/odometer problems on their mistubishi lancers, stradas, etc.

What could be the cause of this? Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Where can I have it fixed?

Thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    more often than not ... speed sensor is the cause of this problem ... replacement is the only option as it is usually sealed and not repairable as a unit

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    also yesterday i did observed something which is not right with my odometer... its not moving, my car is just 26 mos old! this mid-morning nagpunta ako sa casa but along the way the odometer is working fine??? sabi sa akin iwanan ko muna for further test dahil ang haba ng pila, told them that i cant & be back na lang tomorrow morning. on my way back home, ayaw na naman uli! sensor din kaya ang problema nito o some loose connection? hope i can get a good answer tomorrow!
    Last edited by Gumusut_Amige; September 18th, 2007 at 05:12 PM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumusut_Amige View Post
    also yesterday i did observed something which is not right with my odometer... its not moving, my car is just 26 mos old! this mid-morning nagpunta ako sa casa but along the way the odometer is working fine??? sabi sa akin iwanan ko muna for further test dahil ang haba ng pila, told them that i cant & be back na lang tomorrow morning. on my way back home, ayaw na naman uli! sensor din kaya ang problema nito o some loose connection? hope i can get a good answer tomorrow!
    Have you changed your spark plugs by any chance?

I called up a Mits dealer and one of their technicians told me that a common problem is that car owners change the spark plugs of their Mitsubishi Lancers with spark plugs w/o resistors. He says that the resistors are necessary for the proper electronic functioning of the other parts.

I went to an NGK dealer and they told me that the NGK sparkplugs without resistors look identical to the spark plugs with resistors (NGK R). They don't understand the logic behind the spark plug story though. Does this have any basis?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Ang galing! I changed my sparkplugs and resetted the fuse for the speedometer/odometer. Hindi na siya nagloloko for 3 days now I think the "R" in the spark plugs really does work

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by webmiester View Post
    Have you changed your spark plugs by any chance?

I called up a Mits dealer and one of their technicians told me that a common problem is that car owners change the spark plugs of their Mitsubishi Lancers with spark plugs w/o resistors. He says that the resistors are necessary for the proper electronic functioning of the other parts.

I went to an NGK dealer and they told me that the NGK sparkplugs without resistors look identical to the spark plugs with resistors (NGK R). They don't understand the logic behind the spark plug story though. Does this have any basis?
    during the 40k pms, pero napalitan na nila ng bagong combination meter (yun pala ang tawag nila sa toyota) for free kasi under warranty pa. ngayon back to zero ang odo reading ng kinuha ko, mix feeling ako dito hehehe

7. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Ang ganda ng 3 years warranty ng toyota

Help: Speedometer and Odometer malfunction