New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Guys, I need your advise. Is it really true that VR4/VR6 are notorious for always needing repairs, and eats too much fuel? I need your help because I'm considering to get one. Thanks guys. By the way, I'm new here.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    All midsize sedans will drink more fuel than your regular Corolla/Civic sized compact.

And, being much heavier than compact cars, midsize cars are harder on their brakes and suspension than compacts, and these parts cost more to buy.

Thus, any secondhand midsize car will cost more to maintain and will drink more gas than compact cars of the same age. But they have different quirks. With Altimas, its electronics, with Cefiros, it seems to be the head gasket, with Accords... transmission?, and with the Galant, the primary thing seems to be the front suspension ball joints. One of my acquaintances says he'd done this repair three or four times in five years.

If you don't maintain them well, and go cheap on ball-joint repairs... well, I've seen two or three stuck on the side of the road with wrecked front suspensions.

Kung inalagaan naman ang sasakyan, though, it's a pretty nice car.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    yup. it's the front suspension parts that go astray with galants. my girlfriend's dad learned it the hard way, he got a vr4 really cheap. after one month, running 20km/h inside their village, the ball joint gave way.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    my advise is to stay away from the Galant VRs and any Galant for that matter. I had a 94 Galant VR6 manual tranny and it just collected cobwebs in the garage. The engine control unit and alternator went berzerk after I changed the battery. It will run for a few kilometers then go dead silent. I couldn't find a non-casa mechanic to fix it. I don't want to end up paying Citimotors to fix it since it's not worth the money - I sold it instead. What a piece of crap. o yeah, suspension is crap as well. I heard those who got the auto tranny got ripped off two times over.

Just forget the whole idea and get a boring corolla.

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Mga sir, i own a 94 galant VR V6. Like all cars, proper maintenance is a must if you want to keep your car in tip-top condition.....So far wala naman akong nagiging problema wiht my car . Yun nga lang when you compare the fuel efficiency of the galant with other cars, talagang talo po ang galant. MALAKAS talaga lalo na yung mga V6. Mine is about 6-7km/liter(city driving). Para sa akin yun lang naman ang downside of owning a galant.

This car is very reliable and comfortable. I know na pag kailangan ko ng power, i have lots of it under the hood. Walang problema sa akyatan and hatak. Lots of legroom sa loob and maluwag ang trunk.

Peace!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    im thinking of buying a 91/92 galant a/t. any thoughts on this particular type of galant?

7. Join Date
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by torque2006 View Post
    yup. it's the front suspension parts that go astray with galants. my girlfriend's dad learned it the hard way, he got a vr4 really cheap. after one month, running 20km/h inside their village, the ball joint gave way.
    Yo bro torque2006, so all Galants have this ball joint problem? Including the 1999 - 2003 (Shark look Galant) ones?

I was also thinking of buying a 2nd hand Sharkie Looking Galant...but now that I've read about this ball joint problem, I now have my doubts.

How can a prospective buyer like me check if the Balla joints are ok? bring the prospective car to the Casa first and have it inspected?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    my galant's ball joint and suspension arm were replaced last year. makalampag masyado kahit di malubak prior to it's repair. it's been almost a year since the repair and so far ok pa naman.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    my first time to post... related to the front suspension of VR4, mine needs replacement, can i just change the shock and retain the spring and the rest of the assembly or do i need to change the whole assembly?
    need your advises. thanks!

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by red-g View Post
    my first time to post... related to the front suspension of VR4, mine needs replacement, can i just change the shock and retain the spring and the rest of the assembly or do i need to change the whole assembly?
    need your advises. thanks!
    it would be better if you can have it checked to determine which part needs replacement. it's not necessary to replace parts at the same time.. depende talaga yan kung ano ang sira.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast