New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    hi,

am a newbie here and im actually doing this for my dad. he has a 96 pajero and he frequently drives from manila to legazpi and all the way to leyte. he swears by his truck, but he wants to bring its performance higher. he wants to plunk in a 2800 engine and at the same time he wants to bring back the suspension system to its original condition. questions

1. will you recommend the engine upgrade? is the diff noticeable?
    2. is the engine upgrade an easy job?
    3.. where can you buy an engine
    4. who can you recommend to do it?
    5. who can rebuild suspension?
    6. where can we buy suspension parts?

thanks a lot in advance for your answers

cheers,
    issiozzi

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Woodfire already did a 4M40 swap on his Pajero. And it was not an easy task. Pati yata transfer case and some chassis crossmembers pinalitan. Unless you really want to get into a big project, forget about the engine swap. Hahanapin ko yung number ni woodfire so that you can personally ask him.

As for upgrading the engine (instead of replacing), ginawa na din ni woodfire iyan sa GEN II Strada niya. Free flow exhaust system (by Freemuff) tapos nilagyan niya ng K&N open type filter and a Turbo XS manual boost controller. Personally, this is the way I'd like to do my rig (except for the open filter part, mahilig ako lumusong ng ilog, eh).

Why rebuild the suspension? Replacing the ball joints, idler arm and pitman arm will already do wonders. Tapos switch over to better shocks like KYB Gas (for budget build ups) or OME and Rancho shocks if you have the cash. Suspension parts can be had in Mit Parts Banawe (OEM and 555) or you can head on over to Glenn10's shop in Kamias.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if you can afford a 4M40 swap, by all means go for it! :D Woodfire is the only person i know who suceeded in this task. According to him, a lot of the things he did in his swap were unnecessary. Just wait for his reply.

I agree with Otep on the suspension suggestions. Replace all of the aforesaid parts with Orig "Three-Five" parts, and you'll be floating on a cloud :D Aftermarket shocks would add to the soft ride. :D Me, I use OME.

In my opinion, just wait for overhaul time. It WILL come sooner or later. Then do the following.... (1) intake/exhuast port polishing ...... (2)Engine Balancing. This will squeeze a bit more power and contribute to the overall smoothness of the 4D56TDIC :D

HTH!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    1) Engine: if you have the time and patience, by all means swap your engine to a 4M40. I recommend you have Diamond Santolan do it for you. Look for Mr. Art Delos Angeles since he has a lot of experience in this stuff. And yes, the performance improvement is very significant if you swap to a 4M40 engine. if you do this, upgrade your brakes to after-market pads (such as EBC pads).

2) For a quick fix, you can tune your 4D56 as follows: check first if your engine is in very good condition (a compression test is a good way of doing it). calibrate your injection pump if necessary. if everything is okay, then you can install after-market performance enhancers such as a turbo boost controller, open type air filter, and larger (in terms of diameter) exhaust pipe and muffler. a more scientific approach is to go to autoplus along edsa and have your rig dynoed before and after installation of parts. they can also tune your rig to maximize performance.

3) suspension system: check your OEM suspension parts before installing after-market parts like ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman and idler arm, and all bushings. if everything is still okay, then start tuning your suspension. in my case, i replaced all my shocks to rancho rs9000, torsion bar to dobinson, coil springs to dobinson, and replaced all bushings to energy bushings.

4) if you think custom-tuning your rig is time consuming, i suggest you just sell your rig and buy a brand new SUV. I would recommend a trooper because of its performance. Although its a 4X2, I test drove one last week and was impressed by the performance of the engine.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Mga tol! Nabasa ko thread nyo and it seems very interesting. Medyo underpower ang pajero sa tingin ko. Di ako ready for changing engines pero cguro yun mga aftermarket upgrades lang. Tanong ko lang kung significant ba yun change ng power. Iba ba yun open type air filter, yun pipes, mufflers saka upgrades na pang-suv's sa mga pang-kotse??? Sa review kasi sa tv sabi nila na wala daw improvement kundi yun noise lang daw ang madadagdagan( Auto Focus sa channel 4 ) pero yun kotse ng tropa ko laki ng improvement. Setup nya open air filters, straight pipe saka high tension wires lang. Ganon din ba sa pajero? Pwede ba yun? Woodfire, experience mo na yun upgrade di ba? Malaki ba difference ng power compared sa stock?? Medyo hirap kasi mag-gain ng speed lalo na pag-overtaking. Gusto ko lang ma-improve kasi automatic transmission na nga, underpowered pa

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i can speak for my gen II strada which has a 4D56 turbo/intercooler engine.

i modified it by installing a manual boost controller and cranking up the turbo boost to 8.5 psi, replacing stock air-intake system via open cone type K&N air filter, change exhaust pipes to 2.5 inches in diameter. I can truly say that at least the changes resulted in at least 15-20 horses improvement. the best way of course is to dyno it to get real hp to the wheel reading. :D

based on my personal experience, its worth the upgrade. :wink:

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ok! Thanks pare.... balak ko rin i-upgrade yun sa kin. san shops ako makakakita ng ok na parts??

96  pajero  upgrade