New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Mga Sir,

Would like to ask for your advise regarding my 86 Pajero. Im not to familiar with what kind of engine it has, recently got it for around 140T pero malakas lumamon ng gas, it advisable to change its engine to Diesel? and kung papalititan ko around usualy how much will it cost?

Salamat!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    kung palit engine po mga 70-80k siguro lahat abutin nyan sir

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Engine alone cost around 60 to 70K Labor mga 8K siguro ngayon. Plus you need to buy Air filter housing, Air filter, fuel filter w/ pump and Engine support. Nagawa namin yan dati one whole day running na pero syempre may konti pang aayusin. Tachometer is one.
    Mounting of Air filter and small things to be fix. I hope this helps.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Thanks sir, will check on this. Mahal din pala, im thingking of trading-in my engine its a 2.6 4 cylinder engine

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    most likely 4D56T surplus will cost 60k the least. + 2k surplus intercooler

is your ride a/t?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Rion,

My ride is Manual. Saan maganda maghanap ng engine?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    dude sa apalit, pampanga makakamura ka. be sure lang na may papers ha.

lot of factors to consider before you do an engine swap:

1. big heavy body
    2. large tyres
    3. is the carb/air filter clean?
    4. tyre pressures
    5. oil
    6. driving style

all these contribute to your fuel economy. i suggest you check all these muna BEFORE you even consider an engine swap. kung akin yan i will even try an overhaul BEFORE i switch to diesel. mahal na kasi 4d56, at kahit i-overhaul ko yung gas engine hindi pa din aabot ng 30T yun all in pati labor. 60T min yung 4d56, at 95% sigurado yung mabibili mo blow-by na din (i think piston ring design faulty for ALL 4d56 types, kaya blow-by agad. much better yung 4m40 2800, kaso nde naman pede sa paje mo).

mas matibay at cost efficient pa din yung gas engine mo. pag diesel anjan na yung mga diesel calibration ekek, 6 liters of oil tuwing oil change every 5 months dapat, pag minalas ka pa overhaul naman at sandamakmak na oil leaks... etc etc. at hindi din naman papahuli sa konsumo yung 4d56, mas mura lang yung diesel. kung bibilin mo sya ng 60T, at may pagawa ka pa, aba, isang decada bago mo mabawi yung presyo sa diesel savings. that's assuming na hindi mo ma-break yung engine for 10 years...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    my bro knows where but he does not share his trade secrets with me. right now he gets parts from cebu since we are near cebu.

subic and malinta used to sell engines too but you can't have it tested kaya it's a BIG gamble.

voltscastillo has a point. but I think 4m40 can be possibly fitted too. I have a fella who has a 4m40 installed on a box type pajero. but engine is even way more expensive.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Thanks Guys,

I actualy dont want to change the engine cos i like gas better than diesel, main reason lang is it consumes 1L/4.2KM. I already have it tuned up pero parang palyado pa din, im having the carb checked and propbably change the jet of it to a small opening para mahina ang pasok ng gas.

The old owner didnt put an air filter for a couple of months, naiwan lang syang open.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakenrol101 View Post
    Thanks Guys,

I actualy dont want to change the engine cos i like gas better than diesel, main reason lang is it consumes 1L/4.2KM. I already have it tuned up pero parang palyado pa din, im having the carb checked and propbably change the jet of it to a small opening para mahina ang pasok ng gas.

The old owner didnt put an air filter for a couple of months, naiwan lang syang open.
    running the car without an air filter will cause really dirty oil and more sludge in the engine. those little dust particles will really screw up the internals at some point.

switch to highway type tyres (forget mud or all terrain), narrower rims, then run your tyres to maybe 31 PSI.

the pajero is a large body vehicle. more mass = more weight to drive around. always remember this when you find yourself envious of the fuel economy figures of smaller cars. face it, you'll never run 15 km to the liter in that pajero, bro. its an SUV. hell, even a 4d56 won't run 12km /liter.

switch to a more energy efficient oil (10w-40) and go easy on the gas (wag na masyado hataw. its a utility vehicle, not a sportscar). then have your carbs and intake systems cleaned/overhauled. install a decent air filtration system and clean the air filter regularly, as in Obsessive Compulsive regularly, hehe. then switch to at least 95 octane gas.

your economy should improve to about 5-6 barring hidden engine problems in a car that old.

an overhaul for everything else, plus the "mods" i mentioned will give you 7-8km/liter with moderate driving. that's excellent for a car that age. anything higher is a daydream... 10 km/liter is not impossible, but highly unlikely, given the size of the vehicle you drive and the type of tyres you run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
86 Pajero engine advise