New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post
    Or Nissan might simply borrow the Montero's 8 speed AT and dropped it on their Terra.
    Small chance in my opinion, this will cost too much R&D.

The frontier development in the US might hep though. They're using a 9spd from JATCO a Nissan company. I hope they utilize the 4N15 it is more reliable and more advanced than the 2.3TT from Nissan/Renault

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Agree with using newer Mitsubishi engine vs the older Nissan YD25DDTI, but I also hoping they bump up the displacement to rival those of power output leaders Fortuner 2.8L and Everest 2.0 Bi-turbo. (200HP / 500NM). I dislike having an extra turbo unit for added complexity

Mitsu's 2.4L 4N15 output exceeds those of Toyota 2.4L GD engine, and they shouldnt have any problem reaching the those power outputs just by increasing stroke lengths. I have no reason to believe we need more than 200hp 500nm (or even 150hp / 350NM), but it should be the new benchmark especially for the next gen SUVs to be attractive and competitive.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Even if they manage to bump those figures, it will still be slow compared to a turbo crossover like the forester or explorer anyway.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    Even if they manage to bump those figures, it will still be slow compared to a turbo crossover like the forester or explorer anyway.
    Turbo petrol have always shown to have more power compared to a turbo diesel even though turbo diesel has more torque. In a flat-out sprint, higher power wins.

Below is an example how turbo diesel performs assuming the same displacement and the same platform are used. VW Golf in GTi, GTi Clubsport, and GTD variants are compared in terms of quickness.

VW Golf GTI v Clubsport v GTD: DRAG RACE - YouTube

In the case of ladder frame vehicles with big turbo petrol engines, they are also much quicker than its turbo diesel counterparts. Despite its size and weight, the Expedition and F150 3.5L Ecoboost can accelerate in 0-100kmh in just over 6 seconds.

Ask EQ on how his tuned LC200 fares in performance against his stock Expedition 3.5L Ecoboost. Hehehehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Turbo petrol have always shown to have more power compared to a turbo diesel even though turbo diesel has more torque. In a flat-out sprint, higher power wins.

Below is an example how turbo diesel performs assuming the same displacement and the same platform are used. VW Golf in GTi, GTi Clubsport, and GTD variants are compared in terms of quickness.

VW Golf GTI v Clubsport v GTD: DRAG RACE - YouTube

In the case of ladder frame vehicles with big turbo petrol engines, they are also much quicker than its turbo diesel counterparts. Despite its size and weight, the Expedition and F150 3.5L Ecoboost can accelerate in 0-100kmh in just over 6 seconds.

Ask EQ on how his tuned LC200 fares in performance against his stock Expedition 3.5L Ecoboost. Hehehehe

Kaya in dubai or similar places, they are the popular powertrains offered for many models there. Cheap fuel prices and maybe good traffic makes them desirable. In the philippines tho? Very different story lmao. But if petrol prices are much cheaper here, there's no question as to which option to choose between the two.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    Kaya in dubai or similar places, they are the popular powertrains offered for many models there. Cheap fuel prices and maybe good traffic makes them desirable. In the philippines tho? Very different story lmao. But if petrol prices are much cheaper here, there's no question as to which option to choose between the two.
    Pinoys should thank the government for mandating that diesel prices be lower. In most other countries, diesel is more expensive.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Pinoys should thank the government for mandating that diesel prices be lower. In most other countries, diesel is more expensive.

i'm a diesel user myself.
    but if government wants to steer the population away from the potentially more polluting diesel, they should make diesel fuel more expensive than gasoline.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i'm a diesel user myself.
    but if government wants to steer the population away from the potentially more polluting diesel, they should make diesel fuel more expensive than gasoline.
    It’s a political agenda, doc. A politician wouldn’t lobby for cleaner air and thus drive people away from diesel knowing he/she would get flak from the masses who rely on public transport that uses diesel fuel. Di ka makakakuha ng boto nyan. Hehehehe

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    It’s a political agenda, doc. A politician wouldn’t lobby for cleaner air and thus drive people away from diesel knowing he/she would get flak from the masses who rely on public transport that uses diesel fuel. Di ka makakakuha ng boto nyan. Hehehehe

a former President did precisely that: rationalize the so-called fuel of the masses, to the detriment of gasoline.
    our air would probably be cleaner now, had gasoline been the favored child instead.
    cleaning up nature isn't cheap.

i wonder,
    does anyone have figures on air cleanliness now, vis a vis pandemic lockdown, compared to air from three years ago?

10. Join Date
    Mar 2014

That's what you would call third world problems. Gusto nila diesel para kahit papano tatakbo parin sila sa baha. Kaya yung mga mauusok na jeepneys diyan never nang mawawala yan sa mga bulok na kalsada ng las islas filipinas. But then again, what do you expect here when there are other richer nations that can give better hope.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
4th Gen Montero Sport (2023)