New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Hello guys, Last day, my wife told me that the adv wont start. Mukhang na discharge na yun battery dahil sa multiple starting. Pwedeng cause is busted glow plugs or weak battery. She replaced the battery (Motolite Maintenance Free, 3SMF) as per my instruction. The next day, back to normal na ulit and starting. My question is, battery nga kaya ang culprit? I'm not sure kung due na ang battery (I bought it in 2nd hand, 02 Model). Ilang taon ang battery life span kung maintenance free or maaari kayang may busted sa 4 na glow plugs? Your input is highly appreciated. Mabuhay!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trackers888
    Hello guys, Last day, my wife told me that the adv wont start. Mukhang na discharge na yun battery dahil sa multiple starting. Pwedeng cause is busted glow plugs or weak battery. She replaced the battery (Motolite Maintenance Free, 3SMF) as per my instruction. The next day, back to normal na ulit and starting. My question is, battery nga kaya ang culprit? I'm not sure kung due na ang battery (I bought it in 2nd hand, 02 Model). Ilang taon ang battery life span kung maintenance free or maaari kayang may busted sa 4 na glow plugs? Your input is highly appreciated. Mabuhay!
    sa akin pag bagong battery bago mag 1 year sinisira ko na kaya kuha ko pa warranty. buy 1 take 1 ika nila.. then sa pangalawang batt aalagaan ko na sya. mahal na kasi batt ngayon. sa maintenance free ok na 1 kalahating taon... in every day use ha!...

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trackers888
    Hello Trackers888,

Ah, the maintenance-free battery myth. The myth is the battery will last longer than its expected life span without maintaining proper fluid levels of the battery cells. Fact: there is no such thing as maintenance-free. Motolite warrants a certain number of months for its batteries. Take note, in "maintenance-free" batteries, this warranty period is the life expectancy of the battery.

A Motolite Gold (the mid-priced 3SMF variant) installed in Adventures has a warranty coverage of 15 months. Of course, since it is claimed to be maintenance-free, we will not tamper with the sticker and fill the cells up with battery fluid for the entire warranty period. This is the catch!

I did not figure out so until my second Adventure. Even as early as the 6th month, I topped up the battery fluid and all 6 cells gobbled up almost an entire liter of distilled water! Imagine not topping it up over the entire warranty period, talagang mamamatay ang battery after a year and a half.

By just topping up regularly (every two months, in my case), I was able to extend the battery life to 2 years and 4 months of everyday use. My average kilometreage is ~1,700 kms a month.

On cold starts, battery power consumption is heavy, the glow plugs contribute to this. If the battery is relatively new (within warranty period), and yet cranks longer, it could be the glow plugs.

Also, the tell tale sign is a longer wait time for the glow plug instrumentation light to go off before cranking. With good battery power and glow plugs, at a cold December MetroManila day, the wait at times is just within 1 - 2 seconds. Glow plugs only work during cold starts so it is likely that it can outlast the lifespan of a battery.

I hope it is not the glow plugs, Trackers. Last time I asked about three years ago, each plug is ~PhP2,000!

Cheers!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Tama si AlbertB regarding the batteries. Naloko rin ako dyan lolz! But then, if you are the type that does not like to play around inside the engine bay, then maintenance free is the best for you. Just be sure to change it immediately after the warranty period, kahit gumagana pa. Bibigay lang yan ng bigla.

Ang nakakainis lang sa regular battery is that there will be some leaks with the fluid, at ayan corrode na kaagad ng metal areas near the battery grrr...

And when you need to change the glow plugs, don't get replacement / cheap ones. They will last around 6 months lang!

5. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    naku poh!!! additional gastos nnman hehehe.... saktong two years na c advenven pero wala pa po ako nakikita sign ng low bat sa car ko.. hehehe??!!?? should i replace it already? or wait for further signal na maglolowbat na sya... parang cellphone.. hahaha

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by arvic
    naku poh!!! additional gastos nnman hehehe.... saktong two years na c advenven pero wala pa po ako nakikita sign ng low bat sa car ko.. hehehe??!!?? should i replace it already? or wait for further signal na maglolowbat na sya... parang cellphone.. hahaha
    Bigla lang mamamatay yan. One day your ride would suddenly not start. Better safe than sorry. What if nangyari yan like in the middle of nowhere?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Worse, bigla na lang magliliyab yan. I have an officemate who drives a secondhand Daihatsu Feroza. One time pinarada niya sa harap ng building namin. Bandang hapon, nagkakagulo na yung mga guards kasi napansin nila, bigla na lang nasusunog yung buong sasakyan! Akala daw nila, terrorist attack. Nung inimbestigahan, the fire came from the engine bay.

My officemate admitted that he hadn't changed the battery since he bought the car mga 2-3 years ago.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ngek, sa akin din saktong 2 years, motolite maintenance free, white ang color, akala ko defective starter . . . battery pala

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hindi naman actually biglang namamatay na wala man lang signs, nagiging slightly harder to start ang engine during the mornings muna, tapos after a few days, ayaw ng magstart.
    Signature

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    nangyari sa akin yun biglang hindi umistart 5 month'S pa lang yung oto ko nun kala ko sira agad si adventure. aminado naman yung dealer nang batt kasi mga old batt daw or na-istock ang nilalagay sa mga new unit na oto. kaya pag biglang namatay, START D2LAK ang kailangan...makauwi lang. hehehe!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
3SMF Battery Life  Span