New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    I'm just thinking, if you have a 2000 Pajero FM a/t 4WD would you trade it to a 2008 Montero sports a/t 4wd? Would you consider it an upgrade? I personally believe it's not an upgrade. Montero Sports is a great SUV but it does not fall in the level of Pajero Gen 2.5 4wd. IMHO. I would like to know your opinion.
    Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    imho, its the 4m41 engine that makes me want to upgrade, just think about it, night and day difference, especially now that fuel has become very expensive. fuel efficiency is the name of the game.

6.5 kms per liter vs almost 7.8kms/liter, same route.
    pure power never fails to put a smile on my face.
    less noise less vibration

suspension and body design are almost identical though, ladder frame, IFS, FR layout. Im just wondering if the brakes are strong enough to stop all that weight and power.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Im just wondering if the brakes are strong enough to stop all that weight and power.
    as if you don't trust the technical and engineering design. I hope you don't step on the brake while at the same time stepping on the accelerator.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Dami ko kasi nakitang pintas. Plastic interior. Seats not good (matigas). AC not wrap around. Rear brakes is drum type. lift back tail gate. Spare tires not on tail gate. No trailer hook. Plus some slight defects. Pero galing ng engine tulin na matipid pa. Invecs tranny is also a good. I haven't try 4wd yet pero mukhang ok din.

You can get a 2nd hand 1999 or 2000 Pajero Fieldmaster 4WD A/T for half the price. Fuel consumption is not a problem you 700k to spend for fuels and maintenance. Better looking pa. IMHO

Montero Sports in the photo is not mine sa utol ko yan. I'm still thinking if Im also going to get one or jimny nalang kasi wala pako small SUV kalahati lang ng presyo pati size he he he

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    *larshell . . . nice fleet you got there i must say! kulang nalang bili ka ng Pajero BK to add up to the fleet and im sure Promdiboy will be there to back you up with all his tips and tricks!

Kiding aside, IF you are after a modern diesel engine with the thrust to swing your sluggish frown to a zippy smile, the MS is for you. Yes, the drum brakes are a bummer but who is complaining about how it works? i don't hear any Fortuner owner doing so (as far as i know). As long as the MS is well maintained as well as any other car is concerned, im sure it will serve you well. Cheap plastic appointments? eventually you will get used to it. i don't hear my co-members at the Strada Club complaining about their design and interior quality. As far as the seats are concerned, this i think is a deciding factor of you since this is in contact with your body and will depend if you will suffer from fatigue due to lack of support that made you feel tossed around or a high fun-to-drive factor with its strong engine and sportronic tranny.

You have all the time to think about it... let us know what you have in mind. thanks

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Wow! a clan of Mitsubishi loyalists....dapat automatic 10% discount kaagad...

I say, do not "upgrade" if your heart is not in it. The 4WD FM is indeed a venerable vehicle. Its the 4x2 that is no ".....master". Although the 4x4 FM is old it is ageing wonderfully sort of the the old school British Land Rovers.

But is the MS an upgrade? I believe so... engine and its new technology. Despite its quirks the CRDI is going mainstream na.

So, give it until 2010... but that time the MS would reveal its "soul" and true worth...Ngayon kasi marami na swept sa hype dahil bago.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    ianmitsulancer, Sportronic tranny is one of the main asset of Montero.
    Can you comment on tires? I'm not a fan of low profile tires and Parang hindi bagay mga big tires na high profile sa Montero.

Gerbo, Ang tagal ko rin inintay yong Montero dumating pero hindi ko masyado nagustuhan ang design nya nung first time ko makita sa photo then nakita ko sa Motor show gumanda. Dumating sa utol nabawsan ulit yong ganda nya. I guess yun color hindi ko type.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I'm still trying to get used to the new Montero Sport grille, but I think it's a suitable upgrade from the Field Master (athough the MS wasn't really meant to supplant the Pajero line).

I prefer certain touches on the MS such as the lift-back tailgate (easier to load cargo) and chassis-mounted spare tire (no more blocking the rear view), as well as the new RISE body structure giving it a definite edge over the FM.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; September 29th, 2008 at 09:03 PM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I'm still trying to get used to the new MS grille, but I think the MS is a suitable upgrade from the FM (athough the MS wasn't really meant to supplant the Pajero line).

10. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    larshell, gaganda ng mga kotse mo bro. mitsu fanboi din ako, imho before ako nakagamit ng semi auto, akala ko masarap paglaruan, hindi ko rin gaano naapreciate yung semi auto tranny sa diesel. very inconveninet gamitin, ang baba kasi ng rev range ng diesel. before 2k dapat plus ka ng plus, nagagamit ko lang siya pag descending grades pang downshift lang. sa regular automatic press ko lang OD off, downshift na siya agad, sometimes gusto mo mag upshift na but hindi pa kaya ng speed mo kaya wala din nangyayari.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
2000 Pajero Field Master to 2009 Montero Sports 4WD  upgrade or not?