New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Hi, am thinking of buying a pickup for service. Is the '95 model L200 with maybe 150,000 kms still reliable? I heard that the 4d56 engine is very good, but some people say it easily emits black smoke. Is the engine easy to maintain? Obviously parts are easily available. Aside from the engine what other things should watch out for? thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It can get smoky if you neglect it. I change the air filter and fuel filter at every oil change (I just use replacements to keep costs down).

Have the timing belt replaced if the former owner has not. Engine maintenance is very easy. The engine bay is large and spacious making it easy to move around. Parts and mechanics are easy to find.

Check for rust around the fenders and floor.

Try looking at other units. Some have less that 100,000kms.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Reliability is relative to the maintainance of the vehicle.... As Otep mentioned, it's easy to repair and restore the L200. Set aside a budget of 20 to 50K for suspension, engine and body work and your car should be pretty good.

Look mainly at the suspension, engine (smoke and hard starting) and the body for rust.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I used to have a 1997 L200. sold it last May and I still regret it. It was a reliable pick-up. Mura lang ang parts and widely available. It was fuel efficient - I averaged 13km/l on the highway and fast enough for my purpose. And I never experienced major trouble.

The thing to watch out for is the alternator. The alternator is positioned below the power steering pump and when the pump leaks, it drips oil on the alternator. This easily damages the alternator electronics. So check for leaking PS pump, it may mean alternator trouble is not far away.

Change the timing belt as soon as you buy the unit and replace every 60t km. And change all the related oil seals while you are at it.

The expected life of a diesel engine is about 200t km but I have seen some engines last for 300T km and still going strong. It all depends on how well the previous owner took care of the vehicle. Just evaluate the engine carefully. If the engine has lots of oil leaking, it may indicate poor engine condition.

If I were to buy another pick-up, I'd readily buy an L200 again.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Add ko lang, early L200's did not have OEM front seatbelts. So check to see if the unit you are looking at is fitted with OEM seatbelts or if the fitted seatbelts are of the suitable type and properly installed.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the advise guys. You guys have any idea what the going rate for the 1995-1997 L200 4x2 pickups?

Calcite,
    I also had a 1997 pickup pero hilux, it had 174000 kms. I just sold it recently, I regret it also . . . it's not that easy pala to buy a reliable pickup for less than 200 thousand.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Best,
    Mahirap kasi maghanap ng reliable Utility rig specially pick-ups na 2nd hand kasi its assumed na pinangharabas na ito ng may ari before.

I had a 96 L200. I also regret selling it kasi sobrang mura imaintain and sobrang tipid sa crudo.

Since nagkaroon ka na ng L200, you'll probably know na what to look for in your preference. Kung maganda ang takbo nung previous L200 mo malalaman mo na din kung maganda din ang takbo ng bibilhin mo na 2nd hand. Its to your advantage ika nga, compared to buying a brand for the first time na wala kang point of reference or benchmark.

HAPPY HUNTING!

8. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    yah! Very reliable ang L200 just like the L300! Low Maintenance...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    djerms,

I actually had a 1997 hilux 4x2. Never really owned a 4d56 engine based vehicle,. but it seems that okay naman ang feedback. Wala lang masyadong nagbebenta ng old pickups.

thanks again for the advise.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Buhayin ko lang yong thread mga Sir. Meron rin akong balak bilhin na L200 sa Company namin. Mura lang kasi due for overhaul na yong makina dahil kumatok na.

Would like to know w/c is better, overhaul or replace it w/ a surplus engine?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
1995 Mitsubishi L200 pickup