New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Just asking for your opinion...

We have an 11 year old advie GLS at home running at 137T mileage. My dad uses it nalang. Yesterday, I got the chance to used it to service a bunch of people... daming kalampag...though Aircon is still cold pero it’s still a decade old AUV... So I had it checked by my mechanic (not my dad's)... assessed around 100T gastos max (repainting and replacing some parts).

Rough estimation I got (mga kailangan ayusin).
    Repainting job is 30T
    Replaced timing belt and other belts and rubbers 15T
    Calibration 8T
    Replaced shock and ball joint, 10T
    Replace aircon air vents 3T
    Inspect (Replace if needed) Clutch disc 10T
    Miscellaneous 10T
    ------------------------------------ total of 85T, plus/ minus around 100T

So I told my dad its time to sell the old advie at 250t and get a new one at 850T... But being practical, my dad decided to keep the advie and will have it repair na lang (as the need arises). He said, it’s better to spend 100T on repairs than wasting 600T on a new unit (which he argues the engine and under chassis is practically the same – my dad doesn’t get turn on with new looks and stereo and seat cover).

May pahabol pa dad ko... pwede ba raw i-dress up ang advie kung gusto ko.. hahaha

He said comically, with 600T, kahit palitan nya pa ang kulay ng advie, buong stereo, buong upuan, at mga sirang parts, may change pa raw siya pang diesel. hahaha

Tama po ba ang decision?

Practically terrifying for motor manufacturer... it everybody thinks like my dad… dami na magsasara ng planta. hehehe

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Medyo hindi na practical yung ganun kadaming repairs ah.

Kung ganoon lang din naman, kuha na kayo ng brand new Advie, come on, yung 100k na pang-repair mo eh pang-down mo nalang plus yung cash na makukuha kapag binenta ang 11 year old Advie niyo.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Some people will prefer to fix their existing cars instead of replacing it with a newer unit in the thought of saving money. In some ways it is true. But in others, having a really old vehicle will have problems like dependability, it might suddenly stop running anywhere and leaving you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i say keep it na lang.

the new adventure is practically the same as the old one, apart from the cosmetics. to pay monthly for nearly the same car (but brand new) doesnt seem to be the way to go for me.

100k is plenty to make your old warhorse reliable again. to get a new advie seems like an unnecessarily expensive way to obtain that new car smell and feel.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post
    i say keep it na lang.

the new adventure is practically the same as the old one, apart from the cosmetics. to pay monthly for nearly the same car (but brand new) doesnt seem to be the way to go for me.

100k is plenty to make your old warhorse reliable again. to get a new advie seems like an unnecessarily expensive way to obtain that new car smell and feel.
    This is the point my dad is telling me... Isn't it true that eventhough how much repair we would make in an old vehicle, it will never be as reliable as when it was new?

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Some people will prefer to fix their existing cars instead of replacing it with a newer unit in the thought of saving money. In some ways it is true. But in others, having a really old vehicle will have problems like dependability, it might suddenly stop running anywhere and leaving you stranded in the middle of nowhere.
    Exactly, this is my point. Brand new advie unit is very reliable than fixing an old advie...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    You're dad has a point.. Sino ba ang magbabayad para sa brand new purchase?.. Kung ikaw siguro papayag agad yun... ..

Seriously, there are some people who don't have the urge of replacing cars but instead they just have it repaired.. I have a friend who has a car more than a decade na, and if you will check on the repair bill, ang mahal na. kasi puro pagawa lang..

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I also have a 98 Adventure GLS. We wont sell it anytime soon, it is very dependable. saka kung bibili din lang ng bago tapos adventure pa din, i-keep ko na lang yung current adventure ko. Kung Innova pa siguro papatol ako sa brand new. your dad has a point, same car lang ang bibilhin mo. i'd rather go through the hassle (and adventure and enjoyment) of restoring my current adventure na lang.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Once the repairs are done that Adventure will run like new. If the engine works fine and has been maintained properly then it should continue to work fine. The largest expense on your list is a cosmetic item and would not leave you on the side of the road. The other items are done to all vehicles eventually as the years and mileage accumulate, just because it's over ten years old doesn't make the vehicle prone to breakdowns. I'm with your dad on this because that's exactly what I would. From your post it just sounds like you're trying to justify buying a new car by saying the other one is old.

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    You may keep the current Adventure if you like. Since its launch in January 1998, the Adventure basically ket virtually the same hardware but has gone through several changes- from the front and rear fascia to the tailight and tailgate combination just to name a few. Sadly, MMPC hasn't provided the car buying public with a solid replacement for a Diesel powered AUV- that could have been the Fuzion.

IMO, refurbishing the Adventure will make its owners smile just like a brand new unit.

But its your call. if you feel more fullfilment with a brand new Adventure and you need to have no time at all to be car-less while your Advie goes for repair, then go for the new Unit. Even with the same model, i feel it is still an upgrade especially with the recent add-ons for the 2010 model. Should you go for the new models now, You can even settle for the GLX- no need to go for the GLS since the Power Side Mirrors, Windows and Steering are already standard- and some goodies from the Super Sport like the leather wrapped steering wheel is in. Just fit it with Power Door Locks + Alarm from winterpine and just ignore the absence of the rear wiper and Presto! Pseudo GLS kana- just like your current variant!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
11 year old  ADVIE