New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    http://homepage.mac.com/jdalisay/blo...l#ilc207992994

The writer is Butch Dailsay, one of my favorite writers and poker player. i continue to regret I never got to any of his classes in college.

my favorite quote from the above piece:

Forgive me if I suspect that these are people—many of them in their surly mid-twenties—who’ve never been truly whacked by life over the head, who’ve never laid their lives on the line for a cause larger than themselves, who’ve never stared into the barrel of a gun, who’ve never spent a day in jail, and whose daily crises consist of having to choose between the mocha latte and the cappuccino.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Duplicate post!

Merge naman... oh... but I like this^^^ title better...

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40707

-------

Very good writing. Very interesting, too. A lot of people up here can stand to learn from it...

I've been on the internet for quite a long time, myself... I think I started foruming almost ten years ago, but on a more literary forum, than this.

While anonimity can mean freedom from the social restraints that make many people shy and reserved off-line, I have noticed the trend, in the past five years, for people to use anonimity as a shield to hide behind, and to lash out at other people from time to time.

Hell... I've never had more aggravation online than at tsikot... on many American boards, boorishness is a given, and the ****ing language used there is par for the course. We have flame wars, but they're milder, simply because most of us don't take it personally... except one time some guy called me an idiot... ouch... I took that one to heart... damn ultra-fundamentalist right-winger...

But here... it seems that Pinoys have a lot of pent up aggression, and use the internet to let it out... I had a chat some time ago with one person who was very upset with some tsikoteers... he said: "Bakit ganyan... hindi nalang harap-harapan...". "Di nila kilala yung tao, tapos ganyan ang sasabihin."

I told him... that's the internet. You really can't control some of these people, and the anonimity makes them more brazen, more able to joke or insult in this crude manner. The best way to deal with it is to not take it personally. They're just pissing wind. At the same time, I promised to ask one of the mods to look into it.

I guess that's a challenge to us... to only say the right thing (there's a difference between fair criticism and out-and-out bashing), and to stand up for what we believe. Which is how this person actually found me... because I've never hidden behind an alias, and for anyone who needs to talk to me face to face, I'm available. I hoped I helped, and I think he feels better about it now.
    Last edited by niky; August 6th, 2007 at 01:41 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by morrissey_05 View Post
    http://homepage.mac.com/jdalisay/blo...l#ilc207992994

The writer is Butch Dailsay, one of my favorite writers and poker player. i continue to regret I never got to any of his classes in college.

my favorite quote from the above piece:

Forgive me if I suspect that these are people—many of them in their surly mid-twenties—who’ve never been truly whacked by life over the head, who’ve never laid their lives on the line for a cause larger than themselves, who’ve never stared into the barrel of a gun, who’ve never spent a day in jail, and whose daily crises consist of having to choose between the mocha latte and the cappuccino.
    There's also this quote:
    "One thing [SIZE=2]I happen to be openly and proudly biased about is Apple and nearly anything that rolls out of its Cupertino, CA plant[/SIZE]. (And yes, friends, I’ll be first in line for the iPhone when they release it here next year.) But when Apple drops the ball—as, like any other big company, it will from time to time—there will be no louder complainers than we the faithful, who should justly feel abandoned and betrayed."

Hmmm. No wonder. Go to just about any Mac website forum and it seems most posters can't start a conversation without first putting down a pc or anything from Microsoft. The blogger himself may be sane and have common sense. But he's using a computer platform which have a number of users endowed with an over-inflated sense of superiority complex.

We have Macs alongside our pc's at home. But gee. It's tiresome listening to these people. Just go to Maccentral, MacNN. You'll see them in action. It's just like the Amiga platform I so loved. I had to share it with a bunch of snot-nosed zealots. By the time Commodore went bankrupt, I was starting to sour on the platform because of these zealots.

Now, even the pc/Windows seems to be getting zealots of its own. At this stage, I don't really care anymore.....

But, the blogger should've realized the platform wars have been going on ever since there was more than one computer platform to be had....... Suck it up.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 6th, 2007 at 02:23 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    As a case in point........

Here's page 1 of the Maccentral Forum......
    http://forums.maccentral.com/wwwthre...&Board=general

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    As long as the bias doesn't blind you to the truth... I'm a pro-Ford person, but I'm not blind to the problems of Ford.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    oopppsss sorry for the double post! my bad.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    As long as the bias doesn't blind you to the truth... I'm a pro-Ford person, but I'm not blind to the problems of Ford.
    I like this statement...

A writer's anti-rant rant