New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by baiskee
    ika nga.... kanya-kanyang trip lang yan. :D

korek! ;)
    korek na korek yan! too much of everything is really bad!!!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    The people who control the cig industry here are "big players"..

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    udpate... 5 million per year are die worldwide due to smoking related diseases.

that's more than the number of people who die of war-related causes.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    tax tax tax....

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Di lang naman money yan e

The illegal drug trade is also worth a lot of money but it is still illegal.

The reason why tobacco products arent banned is coz the negative effects on health take a long time to manifest... and some people never even get sick.

If tobacco products have more immediate effects like killing u after smoking a few sticks, any government would immediately ban it.

And since tobacco products are cheap, people dont really go around stealing and robbing other people just to buy cigarettes.

But people would steal and rob and kill to get money to buy cocaine or meth.

Illegal drugs destroy lives faster and more obviously than tobacco products.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    A ban would be hard to enforce because even with shabu and marijuana the government has a hard time apprehending people who produce these drugs. Keep in mind that those drugs are illegal everywhere, except for marijuana in the Netherlands, now imagine banning something that is legal everywhere else in the world. How do you keep watch of the rampant smuggling that would happen with the vast coastline of the country? You would enrich the criminal organizations a hundred times over on the smuggling alone.

I don't know if people know or recall that from 1920-1933 the US had prohibition of alcohol, which made manufacture, sale, and transport of alcohol illegal. During that time the black market for alcohol increased and so did racketeering of corrupt law enforcement and government authorities by criminal organizations. This was also the time when the US mafia started to become more organized because of the money they were making from smuggling(from Canada) and manufacturing alcohol. Now replace alcohol with cigarettes and change the players involved to the corrupt government officials in the Philippines mixed in with criminal organizations from almost every country in Asia that has legal cigarettes. Does that sound like something that has a real chance of success as far as enforcement? The taxes that government collect is one thing and so is the employment of the farmers but not the only possible reason why it isn't banned. At the very least the government collects taxes from the sale of legal cigarettes as opposed to no money at all from the sale of smuggled cigarettes.

BTW I am not a smoker and don't like having cigarettes smoke around me. I just choose to view it from a historical point of view and try not to reinvent the wheel. Learn from the mistakes of others thus you are not doomed to repeat it. Just my .02.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    kahit siguro i-ban yan hahanap at hahanap pa rin ang mga smokers since addictive kasi ang yosi.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    ang sigarilyo, parang texting na din yan, nakakaadik, mahirap mawala sa sistema mo...

isa sa pinakamalaking market ng luxurious and taxable mechandize ang sigarilto, from all walks of life mapa mahirap o mayaman me naninigarilyo...

kung sa mahirap lang kinakain na malaki sa kalahati ang konsumo ng sigarilyo sa produksyon ng pilipinas, idagdag pa ang mga ine export

kung gagawing legal sa pilipinas ang paggawa ng marijuana, tiyak papatok din ang pinas...

fyi: 2nd hand or passive smoking is more dangerous than actual smoking, smokers tend to develop a system in which their body adapts to the habit, however passive smokers dont, thats why evidently its like smoking a cigarette without any filter...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    bec. if they ban cigarettes, the price per stick will just get higher (just like drugs and marijuana). and the govt will now fund another agency to regulate or police it.

back in the 1930's or al-capone days, outlawed ang alak/liquor. too many people died bec. of the illegal trade.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Successful Products:

Rules # 1 and 2

1. it should be cheap

2. it should be habit-forming

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Why can't we BAN Cigarettes?