14 82.35%
  • No

1 5.88%
  • Just a bit

2 11.76%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    compared to the rest of the word we are still a baby country. Remeber the US had it's wild wild west. Everyone was crazy and rebellious back then.

Our time will come. but not anytime soon.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Ang Pinoys pag nasa abroad, masunurin naman sa mga local host's laws and policies. Kasi ipinatutupad ang mga batas ng maayos.

IMO, strict implementaion lang ng rules. Kailangan, "kamay na bakal". Yung hindi nakukuha sa lagay at pakiusap ang mga tagapagpatupad. Bakit sa Makati, yung traffic regulations (specially the bus/jeepney stops), sinusunod ng lahat? Sabi nga ng iba, kung pwede sa Makati (kung saan sumusunod ang lahat), bakit di na lang ipatupad sa buong Metro Manila?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    correct me i'm wrong, pero diba marami nagsasabi ang kinaiinisan ng pinoy ng mga tiga-abroad ay mga pinoy din. there is crab-mentality among pinoys whether here or abraod.

so the question is, even if we are abroad, are we are treating or conducting each of us accordingly. yun ang dapat tignan. living on another country's rule is secondary.

pero kung double standard naman, iba ang trato sa kasamang pinoy abroad vs. iba ang trato sa foreign rules. ganun pa din yun ... walang pinagkaiba dito.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    [SIZE=3]Lack of education is the problem.[/SIZE]

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    ^^ From that remark it would be fair to say that you feel that "educated" people do not bend the rules?

Unless you mean "education" in some other sense you would wish to clarify.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    We're all in a struggle to get through each day, and it's much worse back there where one's salary is just barely enough to get you by. If Pinoys see that the officers who are supposed to keep order, maintain the peace and enforce the laws are easily corruptible, to whom would they give their trust to? Nobody. That's why Pinoys have adapted the mentality of if it gets through then it's good enough for me. And these aren't just the everyday occurrence with the typical MMDA personnel, just look high up in the ranks of the government and you'll see what I mean.

That, and perhaps, the lack of pride in one's own country, has led Pinoys to treat everything and every one with a complete lack of social courtesy. It's not just the lack of education, nor the lack of faith in religion, etc. Those things can easily be changed, but what's deeply rooted is the struggle to get by, and if one can make a quick buck or two then they'd grab it the first chance they get. Even if that means, doing it at the expense of others.

Pinoys put the self before everything else. If you cannot give your complete trust in the governing bodies (be it the Philippine government, MMDA, or any person in charge of something) then you will do it your way, which is exactly what's going on.

The reason why we hate jeepney drivers and the reason why we hate the government is the same. It's not because they always get in our way or waste taxpayer money respectively, but because we cannot trust either one of them with anything. We have lost all trust to any governing body so much so that, most of what I've experienced anyway, we've lost social courtesy as well. Just take the person going into the mall as an example. All you have to do, is queue properly. Others want and will cut in line. Others find a way through the guards. Worst of them all, are those who do not have the gratefulness to acknowledge one's good deeds when somebody opens the door for you as you hurry to also get in. It's as if they expect you to do it for them. I do it out of social courtesy, be it here in the US or back there. Most of the reaction I get, is people simply walking in. Sometimes people thank me, which is quite seldom.

And that is the same reason why we always feel as if we need to be vigilant, because somebody will take advantage of anything, be it on the road, in line, whatever. Kapag sinabihan mo, sila pa ang galit. How many times have you heard that?

After reading and thinking about what I just typed, I just realized there's one more crucial factor. See, we live in a caste society. Believe it or not, we do. The hacienda mentality from Spain has taught us that we should be served, and that others are "lower" than us. 300 years later, we still believe that, because it's already rooted in our culture. That's the reason why we have household help. That's the reason why even middle class families have several maids and drivers. That's also the same reason why we treat others the way we often see. To us, other people are lower than us. Again, this goes back to the hacienda mentality (crab mentality if you insist, but that is slightly different).

There is no way Pinoys will treat each other as equals, ever. There's always the thought behind our heads that one has to be better than the other.

Got into a fender bender? Ayaw kasi magbigayan. Got pulled over? Ayaw sumunod sa stop light. Got into a fight? Hindi mapigilan ang sarili. The list goes on and on, and on. Only when we begin to treat each other as equals and respect that, will we have progress. But to others, that unfortunately means that the government officials are also equal to us, so they'll also demand something for themselves.

The problem never ends.
    Last edited by mbeige; September 26th, 2008 at 05:52 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    ^^ wonder how that explains western expats who actually violate the rules here as well? They never had the "benefit" of being indoctrinated by a caste system. In fact, as I walked out to a ministop just now I saw two separate incidents where western expats flagrantly violated traffic rules. They aren't Filipinos yet they did things locals would do to "expedite" things.

Could that be monkey see monkey do? or a when in Rome attitude? And by the same line of reasoning could that be why Pinoys outside follow the "rules"?

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    IMO, hindi lang naman Pinoy. Even in progressive countries, a lot of their citizens don't follow the rules/law. If all of them did, walang crime - petty or otherwise.

My two cents.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
    ^^ wonder how that explains western expats who actually violate the rules here as well? They never had the "benefit" of being indoctrinated by a caste system. In fact, as I walked out to a ministop just now I saw two separate incidents where western expats flagrantly violated traffic rules. They aren't Filipinos yet they did things locals would do to "expedite" things.

Could that be monkey see monkey do? or a when in Rome attitude? And by the same line of reasoning could that be why Pinoys outside follow the "rules"?
    It's because the expats know that nobody in the Philippines follows the law and if you are caught law enforcement is just a bribe away. I know it sounds bad, but here in Guam and in the mainland US I would here Pinoys tell foreigners with plans to travel to the Philippines to put $$ in their passports to get expedited at the airport. Is there really a need to tell foreigners to do that? No.

I remember a story told to me by one of my superiors here at work who had to go to the Philippines with his Air National Guard Unit on a medical mission led by the Lt Governor of Guam. They arrived at the airport and the Customs Officer asked him for a bribe or else they would open the 6 bags he had so he told them to go ahead and open it. The Officer had already opened 3 bags and another US soldier who happens to be pinoy comes up and gives the guy a bribe so the bags don't have to be opened. But my boss said "No, I want him to finish his checks of my bags so I want him to open it all", as the Customs Officer was doing this the AFP General that was meeting them arrived and questioned why they were being stopped when this group was arriving for a medical mission, he even got more pissed off after he found out that the Officer was asking for a bribe. But the act of the Pinoy giving a bribe even when he had no reason to do such thing stuck out in the mind of my boss. We make our own image to the world and we also create our own problems by not following the law.
    Last edited by redorange; September 29th, 2008 at 10:15 AM.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    those who don't follow are uncivilized. Law is one of the fundamental qualities that defines a civilization.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Why can't Pinoys follow rules in their own country?