New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by moneywhiz View Post
    Snooty, elitism attitude is more likely exhibited by Fil-ams who were educated and born in the US then took up bachelor/masters degree in the philippines. i know this because i studied in a medical school with a huge number of Fil-am students....

most of my Fil-am friends/ relatives who were born here in the US exhibit a snooty elitism attitute towards the Fresh Off the Boat friends from the Philippines calling us "You native Filipinos" with degrading accents....

most recent Filipino immigrants to the US are more timid and submissive compared to Fil-ams born in the US.....i have a lot of FOB and Fil am friends here in NYC and that is where i based my observation.....

i honestly do not know where you observed that snooty elitism attitute of filipinos educated in the philippines
    Maybe you didn't. I did personally and these people were bad-mouthing other schools from the Philippines in hushed tones. Then, they also had to gall to ask a complete list of where I studied in the Philippines. I'm assuming they're "fresh off the boat" (never used the term before). But, they were asking questions I would never ask except my own relatives.

It's true most newcomers to the US are decent and my apologies if I offended anyone in such a group. But, it's always the few bad apples everyone tend to remember.

I did spend HS and some college in the Philippines. I do know firsthand that elitist attitude is fairly widespread:

I spent 2 months of 6th grade in Jesus Good Shepherd School in Imus, Cavite even though I already finished 6th grade early here in the US. Right off the bat on Day 1, some snotty kid I only remembered as Abner was already calling me a dolt and idiot for no reason whatsoever. Granted, he was probably the smartest kid in elementary school and last I heard, he went on to Philippine Science HS. Me, I was the quiet type and didn't talk much to begin with and just let it be. I only had 2 months to put up with the guy. Good thing too because another month and I would've knocked his teeth out. I admired the guy for being smart. But, I did wonder what kind of parents did he have for having such an attitude.

St. Andrews School in Paranaque was the next school I went to for HS. For the most part, I was doing ok. A few 75's as well as some 80's. I would've been satisfied there. But, there seemed to be fellow students who just resented me for whatever. I'm not sure what spitting at my feet signified over there. But, I'm assuming they thought I was trash. I ended up getting into more than a few fights which caused me to get kicked out. I transferred to another school where I eventually settled in. But, the mental scars were already made and it remains to this day.

My sister in the meantime, was having a blast, being among the top in her batch from JGSS, St. Paul Paranaque, and eventually UP Diliman. All the whole time, she was the quintessential popular and smart student.

Me, I ended up going to Mapua where I had a most miserable time just trying to maintain a 3 average.

In college, the snooty and elitist attitude weren't among the students. But rather, it was coming from the parents and the alumni. Even my own mom had it and it reflected in the way she treated me and my sister. That attitude was also evident among her friends and their friends. One of them who I barely knew saw me one day and pointblank told me that her daughter (who was also in Mapua) had much higher grades than me. She could've at least said "Hi" first and then proceeded to put me down. What can I say? It's true I was struggling. But dang!

I've seen many like her. They're the kind who says this school is stupid and students who go to that school are stupid too. If statements like that were supposed to toughen me up, it had the opposite effect. I came to the conclusion that there's nothing left for me if I stay in an environment with such deeply-rooted attitudes.

I too have seen those elitist Pinoys you were referring too. I'd be lying if I said they didn't exist. They do exist and as Pinoys become more numerous here, I'm seeing more and more of them. Maybe I'm assuming they were "fresh off the boat" when in fact, they may be similar to your relatives. But if it's any comfort to you, me, my family, my dad's side, and my wife's relatives have no such attitudes.

Sad to say, my mom's side have the very attitudes I wished to avoid. They also look down on certain provincial types like my wife because she's "Bisaya". That's why we've had this family feud for years now. None of them are changing their stance. It's kinda sad....

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think the "snooty" being refered to here is the attitude of some people like looking down on others who did not attend the same "exclusive" "for the rich only" and "only for those well bred" schools. i met some of them in college. and they were not limitted to classmates, some were even our professors. like there was this english prof who never even called for recitation us PROMDI guys. she just practically ignored us. she said that she could not understand our "punto", that our english was pidgin, and that she will not bother wasting her time on us because we will never make it anyway. Ok, sabi nya e. why bother arguing with a bitch, no? then there were some classmates who would not even talk to us because we were "just government scholars" who would not be in college if not for the taxes their rich parents pay hehehehe! e ano sasabihin mo, e di "thank you sa tax na binayad ng tatay mo ha" nyahahaha! well, ano naman magagawa namin e talaga naman promdi kami. at talaga naman na hindi kami nag-graduate sa "exclusive" school nila. who cares! i never saw anyone of them after college. they probably are in their exclusive villages enjoying their millions. but who cares! i know i don't.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    i think the "snooty" being refered to here is the attitude of some people like looking down on others who did not attend the same "exclusive" "for the rich only" and "only for those well bred" schools. i met some of them in college. and they were not limitted to classmates, some were even our professors. like there was this english prof who never even called for recitation us PROMDI guys. she just practically ignored us. she said that she could not understand our "punto", that our english was pidgin, and that she will not bother wasting her time on us because we will never make it anyway. Ok, sabi nya e. why bother arguing with a bitch, no? then there were some classmates who would not even talk to us because we were "just government scholars" who would not be in college if not for the taxes their rich parents pay hehehehe! e ano sasabihin mo, e di "thank you sa tax na binayad ng tatay mo ha" nyahahaha! well, ano naman magagawa namin e talaga naman promdi kami. at talaga naman na hindi kami nag-graduate sa "exclusive" school nila. who cares! i never saw anyone of them after college. they probably are in their exclusive villages enjoying their millions. but who cares! i know i don't.
    A teacher who refused to teach. Sana dinemanda niyo heheheh!

UP Diliman right? Daming promdi dun. She's not exactly getting her dad's tax money's worth by refusing to teach the promdis.
    Last edited by Alpha_One; June 2nd, 2007 at 04:20 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Most of the attitudes I experienced from students were those from secular schools. It didn't matter if it was an exclusively girls/boys or coed. But, their schools were considered the top tier for their locality.

I also don't buy into whether one HS is better than the other bit. When I enrolled in Mapua back then, many of my classmates were from "prestigious" high schools. That didn't seem to help many of them any. As it turned out many were kicked out right after the 1st semester. By the time I started my major, only 4 of the original 50+ in my freshman class remained and that included myself.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; June 2nd, 2007 at 04:30 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hehe, up diliman nga. i spent my time in her class reading books and magazines, never bothered to raise my hand for recitation, i was there just for the attendance, i passed the tests, i submitted the required papers, i got 2.25. not bad. see, playing low key sometimes has its merits hehehehe! well of course all our classmates who were from "her alma mater" got 1.00. but who's complaining? not me hehehe! what i learned early on in college is to let them sons and daughters of god be, and they will leave you be just the same.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    *Jun: It's not really that some high schools are better than others. It's that some high schools are WORSE than others (i.e. some overcrowded public high schools and some fly-by-night private ones). You're 99% right though. I know it's a cliche, but at the end of the day, it all boils down to the person. Your high school bullies and snobbish "big time" Mapua classmates simply weren't the kind of material that they would like you to think. More attitude than brains. They're an insecure lot who feel that despite their "backgrounds", they have something to prove.

EDIT: *yebo: Meron naman akong alam na teacher from the Math dept. na parang ganyan din. He gives impossible exams and afterwards remark "I'm very disappointed. I'm supposed to have schoolmates here". (referring to the PSHS people).
    Last edited by Alpha_One; June 2nd, 2007 at 04:41 PM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    yan naman mga snooty attitude ng mga bata eh nakukuha sa mga pinay wives and mothers. some are really hard to bear lalo na pag tumatanda na.

sa gym lang, kala mo kung sino mga nag-aerobics duon na mga nanay, lalo na mga 45 somethings. chin up talaga kahit ambaho na tignan sa pawis hehehe

kaya siguro dami sa'tin mga pinoy, naghahanap ng mga mas bata eh.

in case, some of you dont know. malaki daw ang percentage na na-involve ang mga filipina wives sa mga teacher ng schools ng kids nila. another percentage eh pag nasa toy kingdom o toys r us. incidentally, pinasyal ko 4 yr old pamangkin ko sa Toy Kingdom. rare breed pala mga adult males duon na may kasama bata. the mothers/wives are really looking to you in the eye, with this flirty glare.

I really learn something new everyday.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    *Jun: It's not really that some high schools are better than others. It's that some high schools are WORSE than others (i.e. some overcrowded public high schools and some fly-by-night private ones). You're 99% right though. I know it's a cliche, but at the end of the day, it all boils down to the person. Your high school bullies and snobbish "big time" Mapua classmates simply weren't the kind of material that they would like you to think. More attitude than brains. They're an insecure lot who feel that despite their "backgrounds", they have something to prove.
    I'll admit, I was privileged enough to attend private schools during HS (sectarian, both) and I thank my folks for that (my mom's attitude notwithstanding). But, I never understood the elitist attitude then and I still don't up to now. To me, it's always been the person and it always will be the person, not the school.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    in case, some of you dont know. malaki daw ang percentage na na-involve ang mga filipina wives sa mga teacher ng schools ng kids nila. another percentage eh pag nasa toy kingdom o toys r us. incidentally, pinasyal ko 4 yr old pamangkin ko sa Toy Kingdom. rare breed pala mga adult males duon na may kasama bata. the mothers/wives are really looking to you in the eye, with this flirty glare.
    What do you mean, exactly? Mga nanay na nang-aaway ng guro?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    EDIT: *yebo: Meron naman akong alam na teacher from the Math dept. na parang ganyan din. He gives impossible exams and afterwards remark "I'm very disappointed. I'm supposed to have schoolmates here". (referring to the PSHS people).
    hehe. those exams aren't that impossible. you'll have to be very religious in studying maths if you want to pass that course. as in uber religious.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
where will you send your children??