New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2011
    Guys, February mag hongkong kami. Any tips like gastos, weather, safety etc... We're family of three me, wife and 5 y/o daughter.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 3GEMS View Post
    Guys, February mag hongkong kami. Any tips like gastos, weather, safety etc... We're family of three me, wife and 5 y/o daughter.
    It's gonna be surely cold being chinese new year month, will be single digit. Bring lots of cash if you or your wife is into shopping as it's still will be CNY sale. Don't go during the CNY holidays as HK usually get's deserted. Feast on great Cantonese foods.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I haven't been there in a while but you'll save a lot by taking the MTR or bus around. Just get an Octopus card for each of you for added convenience. For Disney tickets, i remember buying at the airport as it was cheaper there (at one of the travel agencies). If you like household stuff, IKEA is worth the trip too. ;)

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    click the link...don't mind the title.

PEX Hong Kong Guide 2014 [BASAHIN MUNA ANG PAGE 1 BAGO MAGTANONG PLEASE LANG] | Travel and Leisure | PinoyExchange

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    hongkong is like manila, weather-wise... maybe just a wee bit cooler. and if you are familiar with binondo, parang na-hongkong neighborhood ka na rin.

first off.. how do you get from the airport to your hotel? if part of the deal you got, ok. but if not, you will want to take public transport, as it is probably cheaper. you have to ASK. some hotels are practically next door to the bustop or mtr station. grab a map asap. (they used to be all over the place; nowadays you have to look for them). getting out of the airport, you have to walk to the right for the bus stop. there are several bus routes there. ASK which is best for your destination.
    and don't worry about the crowds. they're nothing compared to our mrt and lrt here.

now the tourism proper..

1. make sure your hotel accomodations are ironed out, po.
    2. bring comfortable clothes, especially shoes. bring tsinelas and bathroomfare. not every hotel provides these.
    3. do some research re. tourist spots. i have had experience, where the place i intended to visit, was "closed for renovation". but this is not common naman. have "a plan, including contingencies".
    4. enjoy the food! everything there is authentic chinese food. yum! i daresay, even the mcdo breakfast there tastes "more delicious" than over here. my opinion.
    5. hongkong is a tourist mecca. and the sellers know this. shop around and compare, before deciding. and don't plunk down your money, until the item is in front of you. bait and switch is common there. the seller may make a show and "get mad" at you for not buying what he wants you to buy. walk out on him. he has no right to do that. remember: he is only a seller, but you have the money. and do haggle. "turista lang ang hindi tumatawad."
    6. we pay for everything (plane ride, TRAVEL INSURANCE, hotel) here in manila. that way, the biggest expense is already paid for. less money to bring.. and some manila-based atm cards)may be used to withdraw money in HK. ask your bank, po. and bring your credit card, even if you do not intend to use it. you can never tell...
    7. hongkong was british colony. they drive cars "on the wrong side of the road". ..takes some getting used to..
    8. bring electrical socket universal adaptor (cheaper to buy here than there). not every hotel provides them to hotel guests.
    9. when in doubt, ASK. the heengrish may be bloken, but "they get by". tiyaga lang nang kaunti. heh heh.
    10. if you need cellphone during your stay there, talk to your service provider here NOW. they can make it happen, for a fee.., but not as fast as we may want as departure time nears. and wifi is free and "fast", in many places. so bringing a tablet is advisable. it may be even more entertaining, surfing, than watching the limited TV programs in the hotel.

and the octopus card there has a long-ish expiration period.. mine was over 2 years old since last transaction, and it still worked.

enjoy!
    Last edited by dr. d; January 5th, 2016 at 11:18 AM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

and the octopus card there has a long-ish expiration period.. mine was over 2 years old since last transaction, and it still worked.

enjoy!
    I agree. If you can, get the octopus card. Sulit.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Get a round trip airport express from the airport and it comes with a 3 day MTR pass.

8. Join Date
    May 2011
    Thank you for replies. Ive found this thread about travel to hongkong at travel tourism section here at tsikot and almost everything was there already. Ty again

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    To be honest there's nothing to buy there na that you can't get it here. It's not what it used to be, Hinde na "shopping mecca"

I only go there na Lang just for a change of scenery. Just go for the local food and enjoy your trip.

But don't expect any real bargain shopping na like before.

Saka parang nasa divisoria ka na lang puro pinoys na makikita mo. [emoji16]

Btw, where are you billeted?

If you love fishes and aquariums. Punta ka doon sa dulo ng mogkok Isang buong street puro pet shops and lagi ako nagpunta doon to look for accessories (filters) for aquariums.

Tama sabi ni doc. Especially electronic shops along TST. They will always ask you for "downpayment" to get the unit that you want from their warehouse. Tapos wala na daw ganun model the. They will offer you different model mas lalabas na mahal pa. Meron pa kuno freebies.

But when you're inquiring sobrang mura bigay nila sa hinahanap mo then if you bite they'll do their scam na. But don't be afraid of them. If that happens sisindakin ka lang ng mga yun sisigaw sigaw.

But if they see you'll not give in. Babalik din nils pera mo. But don't get suck in to their scheme to begin with.

Saka don't expect any manners from your servers lalo sa mga eateries. Ganun lang talaga sila baka akala mo nagdadabog.

If you're not a comfortable with any transactions you're into. And wala pa exchange ng money. Just walk away. Mongkok din marami manloloko.

Then if you really want something from a boutique tapos wala silang stock ng color or something na gusto mo let them find it for you sa ibang branch nila tapos pa hold mo, don't settle for something na Hinde mo naman talaga gusto.

Marami kasi ako nakikita na tourist nag settle na lang sa kung anong available kahit Hinde talaga nila gusto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shadow; January 6th, 2016 at 08:56 AM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ang layo pala sagot ko sa thread title. Bili kayo Sa manager ng bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Where to buy Hongkong Dollar?