New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    i think when i was four til six...that would be nursery, kinder to prep. about a decade and a half ago.

as for me, reward and punishment is what i would do to motivate my child to study harder. sometimes, its not bad showing who's the boss to your child. instead its being the other way around.

lastly, i agree in engaging your child in other extra curricular activities, baka kase sabihin nya all-work-no-play, which is really bad nga naman.

thus, enriching your child holistically.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sakin lang, I've never been a bookworm kinda guy. Even when lumaki ako and took my academics seriously, if I know I'm learning something new, useful, intriguing, my grades are pretty good automatically even without me knowingly trying.

Iba-iba din kasi tao eh. You can't really forcefeed children to learn, if it becomes a routine or a "must" just for grade purposes, most of the time, they'll end up getting good grades but know nothing about it afterwards.

(Think trigonometry, etc... hehe, unless you use it sa line of work mo, even if you got an A sa school dati, you still don't know what it is for or how to apply it).

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Thank you very much for your valuable witty inputs.

My firstborn is currently enrolled in a music class and he will be attending swimming and karate lessons this summer. He is not much into board games, but we got to play Salpakan on a few occasions and we play a couple of card/domino games every night just for bonding......

Thank you for your inputs.

OT po, pero related on education,- I was interviewing a young (24yo) licensed engineer this afternoon for a position in the company. He graduated from one of the more reputable engineering schools. However, he has already worked for a year as a temporary help in one of the companies, first as a machine operator and then as a line technician. What I am trying to say is that it is a real competition in the outside world. Kung iyong may natapos, mahirap makahanap ng trabaho,- paano na kung hindi nagkaroon ng pagkakataon?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT
    Thank you very much for your valuable witty inputs.

My firstborn is currently enrolled in a music class and he will be attending swimming and karate lessons this summer. He is not much into board games, but we got to play Salpakan on a few occasions and we play a couple of card/domino games every night just for bonding......

Thank you for your inputs.

OT po, pero related on education,- I was interviewing a young (24yo) licensed engineer this afternoon for a position in the company. He graduated from one of the more reputable engineering schools. However, he has already worked for a year as a temporary help in one of the companies, first as a machine operator and then as a line technician. What I am trying to say is that it is a real competition in the outside world. Kung iyong may natapos, mahirap makahanap ng trabaho,- paano na kung hindi nagkaroon ng pagkakataon?
    thats why education is still very important. that's good: music, sports and academics, naku magiging chickboy yan

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    And you'll be amazed on how much kids soak up knowledge...

Anak ko parang di nakikinig pag tinuturuan (granted, he's not even 2yo yet), but magugulat ka nalang, like the other day, nakatayo lang kami outside the house, he pointed at the water meter one-by-one and counted one to six without us assisting...

Note, wala pa syang 2 ha...

Kung pinipilit namin sya magbasa or magaral ng mga shapes, letters, numbers etc di sya interested.

But nanonood sya lagi on what were doing and magugulat ka nalang with what he ALREADY KNOWS na di nya pinapakita.

Naprepressure siguro mga bata if you keep on asking them to do/say things...

too much expectations from parents can back fire especially if it is made to be felt by their child. kung sa akin lang..kahit di mag-excel basta pasado at nakikita ko namang may natutunan...ok lang...i wont pressure my kid.

he has a long way to go... it's too early to get stressed out baka hindi makafinish line....let him enjoy what he wants to do just remind him to make sure he pass his grades becuase it's important he hurdle every grade else he will get left behind.

baka naman my puppy love na yang anak mo...pag ganyan medyo wala ng ganang mag-aral yan di ba?...hehehehe.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I agree with theveed. Some people get A-pluses in trigonometry, calculus, etc. and when they graduate they do not know what to do. I guess balance din dapat ang book smarts and street smarts.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT
    Tanong ko lang po sa grupo:
    a. At what age/grade level did you really start studying?
    b. How do you encourage your kid to study harder?

> a. I was really studying hard ever since I entered school (Grade1). Wala pang nursery/kinder/prep noon. We were not well to do, so I see education as my contribution to our family's welfare.

> b. I want to solicit your suggestions here, please. My firstborn is in Grade5. He does not have the fire in his eyes to study. How do I encourage him to study harder?

Salamat po!
    reward system.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    1st question:

Start ako school 6 na, kinder muna then at 7 grade 1 na. I valued education ever since i was a kid back then, being the eldest and coming from a not-well-to-do family. The 1st reason syempre my younger brods would look at me as their model not to mention my mom single-handedly raised us, and also sa hirap ng buhay nun kailangan lahat talaga bina-value. Sa awa naman ng diyos, nakatapos naman ako sa mga catholic schools from elem to college. I even started self-supporting pag-apak ko ng college, sariling kayod kasi i need to pay my tuition and also sa akin din humihingi panggastos family ko. To make it short, everything has paid off once you know the importance of things that life offers you.

2nd question:

Never ko pinilit child ko to do this and to do that. Gusto ko sa kanya mismo manggaling. What I did, nung 2 pa lang sya every morning dumadaan kami sa maliit na daycare skul malapit sa amin and dun na-build yung curiousity nya bakit ang daming bata dun. I explained to her gradually and soon after nakiki-sit down muna sya dun sa class, as in getting the feel lang, pero as days past lalo sya nagiging interested. I enrolled her at 3 since the teachers evaluated her and seeing positive response from her. I was amazed by her development, tama yung sabi nyo na wag pipilitin ang bata coz it could traumatize them, a child is a child and let them be. Basta tayo parents ay andun lang palagi to support them in the best way we can.

Am a proud dad now especially this friday, my child is sure to get 1st honor on her graduation besting her class and being the youngest that is.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my son is 4 y/o and we are about to enroll him in Nursery at a nearby school and he is excited about it. no pressure on him, in fact excited pa nga sya e.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
What Age/Level Did You Really Start Studying? How to Encourage Your Kid To Study?