New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Recent experience from P&G employee.

Dear friends,

Please be extra careful when you ride cabs, especially when you're alone.

I had the most traumatic experience of my life last Saturday, Nov. 11, when I was held up while riding a cab.

I was meeting my college friends in Starbucks in Greenhills so I hailed a cab from Santolan MRT Station. I normally would ride MGE or Dollar Taxis by calling their radio control operator; but since it was just a short distance and I wanted to leave the MRT Station as soon as possible (it was very dark there), I hailed the first available taxi. I locked the doors as soon as I got inside the taxi. The plate number of the taxi which was supposed to be printed on the doors (inside) was not readable. I told myself I shouldn't be bothered about it, anyway, it's just a short distance to where I was going - a few hundred meters away.

From EDSA, the driver made a turn at Annapolis (the shortest route to get to Greenhills commercial center). I had my two mobile phones on silent as I was commuting. One of my friends I was about to meet asked me (SMS) where I was and I replied that I'll be in Starbucks in 5 minutes. It was 6:30 p.m. then. The driver made a sudden stop, manually unlocked the doors. I don't know how fast he was able to manage to reach the door locks. Two men hurriedly went inside the cab- one in front, the other one in the back seat at my right. I couldn't open the left door - maybe it was intentional that the door at the left couldn't be opened from inside. Realizing that it was a hold up, I immediately hid the O2 XDA II inside my shirt behind me. I tried to press the screen of the XDA to try to ring the last number I called.

The man who sat next to me punched me in the head when I bit his left arm. The driver asked the man next to me not to hurt me. "Mabait 'yan and me anak, 'wag mong saktan." I don't know where he got that idea. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

The man said, "Eskandalosa ka eh, sasapakin kita 'pag di ka umayos. Konting tulong lang kailangan namin, pambili lang ng gamot ng nasa ospital." I told them I have only a few cash with me and I lied by saying that I was meeting my friends in Greenhills because I am in need also and will borrow money from them. I was carrying a small shopping bag with me which contains new shirts and pants from a friend in the US intended to be given to one of the friends I'm meeting in Greenhills. He checked the contents of the bag. Then, he grabbed my shoulder bag away from me. He emptied the contents of the shoulder bag and returned one by one those that he didn't think were of value. He went through my wallet. He got all the cash in it, checked all the cards inside it. Since I don't normally put cash in just one wallet, he went through each small card case/compartment inside my bag. They were asking for my mobile phone and ATM card. I told them that the phone's inside the bag and that I don't bring the ATM card with me since I only have P1,000 deposit in my account and it's useless to bring it. As I lied about the ATM card, I was really praying that they will not discover it inside the bag while I was in their possession. I knew the next thing they will ask me is to withdraw cash from an ATM. The man held my HSBC Gold Visa Card and was telling me I will withdraw money from HSBC if I would still like to get my bag back. I told him I can't withdraw cash from HSBC because I don't have deposit account in that bank. The man in front insisted that he has 3 HSBC cards and I shouldn't fool him. He asked me for the pin number and that he will be the one to withdraw cash for me. I told them I don't really know the pin number since I only use the credit card for my purchases. I got slapped on my face and punched in the head again because they said I have been lying. I was told they'll throw acid on my face and would bring me to far flung Norzagaray where men will "feast" on me. I begged them not to hurt me further since they've already got my valuables.

The driver told his companion to look for my mobile phone. I said he already got it -- referring to the Ericsson phone inside the bag. The man still tried to search for a mobile phone. He checked the pockets of my jeans. He said I was trying to hide something. I told him it's the watch that I tried to hide, which he also got. He discovered the pepper spray I have inside one of my jeans' pockets. I was unable to use it on these criminals since there were 3 of them. I just prayed that they won't use it on me. I don't know how he missed the O2 XDA because he tried to search all over my body. All these happened while the taxi went back to EDSA, made a U-turn in Ortigas, U-turn in Santolan. We went around that route in about 4 or 5 times. They didn't even spare me the coins in my coin purse. I tried to bargain that they take me to Greenhills because my friends might already be worried about me. Annoyed by my request, I got slapped again. I asked for money to pay for my fare. The man was "kind" enough to give me back P100. I was instructed that the moment they drop me off, I should start walking away and that I should not try to look back, or else, the man in front will fire his gun at me. The man handed me back the shopping bag, had me carry it in my right shoulder; and my other bag in my left shoulder. This time, I tucked the part of the shirt where the XDA is inside my pants, so that it won't fall the moment I get off the cab. I was also worried my friends might call me and the screen of the XDA would light up so I covered it with my shoulder bag. The cab stopped in front of a car dealer several meters away from Connecticut Street . Before I was able to get off the cab, the driver cursed me while punching me in the head. I knew he did it so that I won't glance at him to be able to remember his face. Not knowing if they really have a gun, I walked away as fast as I could.

They got my Sony Digicam T7 with it's leather case and 2 extra memory cards, Ericsson mobile phone, watch, jewelries, eyeglasses, credit card, and cash.

I didn't think of reporting it to the police-- I don't have any detail of the taxi to report after all. I thought the police will just ridicule me if I say that all I could remember is it's a white and yellow taxi. I just wanted to see my friends then, with whom I could feel secured, so I hurriedly look for a "safe" place where I could pull out the XDA and try to contact them. I was afraid those criminals might be just following me. It was 7:18pm then. Still traumatized by the experience in the cab, I walked towards Greenhills and didn't take a cab. As soon as I've seen my friends, I contacted Smart to have my phone line barred and HSBC to have the credit card deactivated. I discovered that the 2 BPI ATM cards were intact in one of the card cases I have in my bag. It's a miracle that the criminal didn't notice it because he emptied the zipped pocket inside my bag, where that card case was placed. A friend had to take me home after, as I was still shocked from the experience.

I am just very thankful to God that punches and slaps (and trauma) were all that I've got from those criminals and that they only got away with my material possessions. I am still alive (with contusions in my head). It's a blessing still.

Friends, I hope this wouldn't happen to anyone of you or any of your loved ones. Please be careful and try to avoid riding cabs as much as possible, especially when alone. If it's unavaidable to take a cab, no matter how short the travel would be, try to text a friend/relative the plate number and the name of the taxi company.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    sori to hear from you mam. sana wag na po ito ma ulit. mga tarantad* pala sila eh kng mag trabaho na lng sila ng matino. hay naku mga ogag may araw din po sila. Hopefully po you'l recover from the trauma. hope you'r doing well.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    sorry to hear that. though you should report this to the police.... even if the details are lacking. you were victimized by these low lifes. the police will help you and might be able to isolate this. who knows they would get caught eventually.

get well and hope you can recover speedily.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    ingat mga peeps.. ganyan talaga yang mga yan.. magpapasko kasi eh!

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    .... i don't know what to say basta i'm happy to read that the employee survived the ordeal.... Thank God - hindi siya masyadong sinaktan... i could only imagine what she went through and it gives me the shivers... doble-dobleng ingat na lang sa susunod... lalo na ngayong magpapasko... hope she is healing well and fast....

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    may araw din ang mga yan! it's good you handle it properly and not hurt that bad. sana you'll get over quickly ang traumang hatid nito, ingat na lang sa susunod mam.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    A-holes! as if its not enough that they robbed her, they even went to the extent of hurting her physically!

i hope they die a slow painful death!

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    kung totoo nga na pambayad sa ospital yung perang naholdap, gumaling kaya yung tao o tuluyang madedo dahil sa masama galing ang pinambayad?

makarma sana ang 3 ul*l na ito. mabangga sana ang taxi na silang 3 ang laman at sana walang survivors. ayaw maghanap buhay...mga tarant*ado!!!

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    tsk tsk tsk .nanapak pa tatlo na barako na nga sila

nakakainit ng ulo ito ,iyan ang masarap mahuli at bugbugin ng taumbayan

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    grabe naman un mga un, mga walanghiya!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
A violent taxi hold-up!