New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    On the contrary to popular belief, forced control on a nation not that all bad... LOOK AT SINGAPORE.

This one tight-ass-controlled nation... and yet economy is good.

I'd say depende yan sa nagpapatakbo... and we can not pre-judge anybody unless we are really in that position/area ... have you been to that country?!?

I haven't gone to their country, so my stand is to still give Chavez a benefit of the doubt on his intensions.
    i dont like Singapore. you know why? everytime na may nangyayari masama sa'tin bansa, they tend to magnify it to the rest of the world. yan ang namumuno sa kanila, paranoid and crab. kasi deep inside alam nya, we can beat Singapore bec. we have more land!

ni hindi na siguro sila makakapagtayo ng Serendra duon bec. of scarce land, tayo may the Fort pa, Reclamation, Alabang na puwede magtayo ng katumbas ng 3 singapore

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    slight OT

they do that because it is part of their "strategy" to reign supreme in the SEA. In fact, if there is somebody who can beat them, it is really the Philippines.

Lee Kwan Yew copied most of Marcos program during the pre-martial and early martial law days... and he was very successful in making a "dumpped" (they were dump out of malaysia) country into a very prosperous country considering that their only natural resource was labor (cheap chinese labor) and port area.

Not to flame, but it would be more of a CRAB mentality for ones' self to look into this situation as a negative thing instead of an inspiration.

back to the topic, the same logic why I don't (YET) see that the move of HUGO CHAVEZ as a negative thing. Maybe he have better intensions for his country men.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    oh everyone's a lot like me bec. we love USA!!!

Bratwurst > hotdog

edit sentosa > * > enchanted

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Because Chavez is not Lee Kwan Yew. Like the others have said... read up on the state of Venezuela's state-owned agencies. Then you'll understand.

Lee Kwan Yew is a shrewd business man. Not a populist like Chavez. What we've been trying to point out is there's a big difference between exerting a tight grip on the economy for pragmatic reasons, and doing the same for political reasons.

Which is why I don't like Dubya, either... most of his foreign policy decisions seem to be motivated more by political posturing than a sober, rational analysis of what's best for his country. I don't disagree with all of his decisions, though... but a lot of what he does seems to tend in that direction.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sorry but I don't agree ....same scenario that even if I READ info on venezuela, it would still not be the same... because the accuracy of information is not the same if I was in that country.

As far as my opinion would go, I would still give Hugo Chavez the benefit of the doubt on his intentions. And still... my stand on his acquisition of these oil industries - "it's probably for the best interest of his country". True or not, only time will tell.

Although OT....Lee Kwan Yew is ALSO a populist... as wiki explained -

Populism, by its traditional definition, is a political doctrine or philosophy that aims to defend the interests of the common people against an entrenched, self-serving or corrupt elite.

He defended the interest of the then "minority" chinese in Singapore when Malaysia expelled them as a state (LKY was not yet their prime minister then). Pagka expel ng malaysia kasi, halos lahat ng malay ay umalis ng singapore. During that time he was neither self-serving nor a corrupt elite (mga malaysians ang ganun and not chinese).

He became the businesman that he is (as you foresee now) because of his populist acts and desire to improve Singapore.

I know this because I use to work there (during the time that LKW was still very active).... eh ikaw?!? have you been in Venezuela before? o you just READ it somewhere?!?

Like when I was in UPLB, our teacher told us that KNOWLEDGE goes beyond what you read in the books and what you learn from the four corners of the classroom....real knowledge don't have boundaries.... and with this I would add that unless you have been there (venezuela)....then you're not in there (and don't know anything about venezuela).

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hugo Chavez's every action is out there for the world to see. That's been the case ever since. Same with Lee Kwan Yew. Nobody has anything bad to say (not many people, anyway) about what Lee Kwan Yew has done, as the results speak for themselves.

Yes, what is written is not the whole truth. But to ignore what you read and see is also wrong. If one voice says one thing, it's possibly self-interest. If many diverse voices say it, try to find out why they say so... there may be a grain of truth there somewhere.

Admittedly, I've never been to Venezuela, so maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt... but in light of given evidence, this probably isn't a wise move.

I suppose the "populist" tack wasn't the right one... communist? :lol:

But then, that's probably not the right tack, either... I'm prejudiced against communism, being from UP myself, and having seen it at both the grassroots level and at the national level. Then again, I've never been a big fan of politics of any kind.
    Last edited by niky; May 6th, 2007 at 11:05 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    as a businessman and industrialist myself, nawalan ako ng confidence kay chavez and hindi yun naibabalik agad. what more yun biggest corporations? can he stand on his own? if he could, he could have done it before. hes just politicking

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    may be he was just politicking and may be not.... people change too (sometimes).

well as I see it .... sometimes it really takes a "dictator" to run a country well or put it in the right direction.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    in every generation, it seems that there is always someone who acts as a thorn in the flesh: a hitler, now that saddam is gone, we have chavez.

he sees himself as a god and nobody should dare stand in his way.

he sees to it that he gets what he wants.

and just like those dictators of the past, his future does not look bright.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Robertson is a raving lunatic....
    hmmnn... i dont think you should call someone a raving lunatic who has a lot of documented evidence of being an intrument of healings and miracles. he was careless in his statement, yes, but not a raving lunatic.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Venezuela Takes Control of Oil Fields