New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Anyone attended a US University here?

What's your experience combining work and studies?

I'm thinking of enrolling sa San Jose State University sa spring. I'm just wondering kung may nag study na rito in a US school.

I'm thinking of taking may MS here. Pero parang ikono consider ko rin sa Pilipinas dahil masyado yatang mahal dito.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks.......

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I took my MS in New York City from 1986-1988 for five semesters, four of which while working full time during the day and then attending night school. My father financed my first sem while my work was able to finance the rest. Working and studying at the same time is very hard but not impossible. The hardest part is getting beyond the exhaustion of the job and mustering enough strength to attend school at night and then study during weekends while managing household chores.

I was still single at that time so that helped. I then worked for about 4 more years in the US before returning to the Philippines and landing a good job with a good company in Makati. The US degree and experience helps a lot in getting a good job in the Philippines.

While a graduate degree in the Philippines costs much less to acquire, only about $8,000 for an MBA from the Asian Institute of Management (AIM), the top business school in the Philippines, I have to honestly say that those with US degrees and experience have a considerable advantage over those with local graduate degrees and experience. That is, if you plan to work in the Philippines. However, if it is the other way around, a Philippine graduate degree in not worth much in the US.

If you are looking to economize, a graduate degree from a good school in Singapore like the National University of Singapore (NUS) or Nanyang Technological University may be an option. Singapore graduate degrees are getting prestigious in Asia and would be good if you plan to work anywhere in Asia. They are also much cheaper than US graduate degrees but more expensive than Philippine graduate degrees. Since you may be used to a US lifestyle, the first world environment of Singapore may also be less of a shock to you than the conditions in the Philippines.

However, if you plan to work in the US, the best fit is still a US graduate degree even though it is the most expensive to acquire. US companies and employers are generally unfamiliar with the reputation of foreign schools so no matter how good your foreign graduate degree may be, US companies and employers only recognize their own.

Good luck. What MS degree are you planning to pursue?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    buddytan, how about taking an MS in australia? any news/views about aussy universities. my friend told me that singaporians take their MS/MBA in australia bec. it is (they say) easier than in singapore. well, i say there is no easy thing in this world. pls share your views bec i too plan to take my MS abroad if money permits. :roll:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Aussy graduate degrees are okay, equal to Singapore graduate degrees, but not as prestigious as those from well-known US universities. They are good enough for working anywhere in Asia but may not be too well known for working in the US. You choice of where you should get your graduate degree should consider where you plan to work, i.e., a US degree for work in US or Asia or an Aussy/Singapore degree for work in Asia but not in US.

This is important for you to consider because getting a graduate degree is a lot of hard work and if you happen to eventually work someplace where it is not recongized or does not carry enough 'prestige,' it can be a big source of frustration. People with graduate degrees tend to expect better status than those without. So choose where you want to study and work carefully.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My brother graduated from SJSU in 1999 [BSME]. Part time lang siya work noon while attending schol. Tama sila, if you plan to work sa US, you might as well get your degree dito. Malapit ka na lang naman sa Palo Alto, kung kaya mo rin lang, take your MS sa Stanford. Very well rcognized ito sa buong US. Pero if you're in engineering field din naman, SJSU is fine. I think though state university ito eh, funded din ng mga big semiconductor companies.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Pare salamat sa mga inputs ninyo.

Jesi, check ko din sa Stanford. Pero mas malapit kasi ang SJSU sa bahay namin. Pero masyado yatang mahal doon.

Buddy, I'm planning to take MS Computer Eng. Actually tingin ko sa SanJose na ang best choice sa akin dahil may anak akong nag aaral sa kindergarten and medyo malapit lang ito sa bahay.

Nag check ako dian sa mga Univ sa pinas pero walang MS Comp Eng.

Again, thanks sa mga inputs ninyo!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroy
    Anyone attended a US University here?

What's your experience combining work and studies?

I'm thinking of enrolling sa San Jose State University sa spring. I'm just wondering kung may nag study na rito in a US school.

I'm thinking of taking may MS here. Pero parang ikono consider ko rin sa Pilipinas dahil masyado yatang mahal dito.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks.......
    i graduated at California State University Long Beach Class of 1993 degree of bachelor of science in nursing my parents sent me to school. finished my master of science in nursing-adult/geriatric nurse practitioner class of 1998 same school, worked fulltime and go to school fulltime spent around $650 in registration fees and around $1000 for books alone for each semester...that is the California State University System...but if you go to UCLA (university of california system) or USC (university of Southern California)..you will spending lots of dollars...unless you have a scholarship grant...if you are a california resident its much cheaper but if you are not a california resident your registrations fees triples.....

thanks

cale

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    /thread revival

Paki re-inforce lang ang magiging decision ko.

My original plan was to get an MBA with emphases on HR. However, the University I have chosen does not offer such emphases. Having said that, I was offered to take the MA in Management instead. The advisor said that its the closest Master's degree they offer if I want to pursue an HR career. Their MBA has only one HR course and so does the MA.

Quick Facts:

MBA is 4 courses more than the MA in Management.

MBA is business oriented while MA Management is geared towards personnel management.

If I have to take the MA in Mgmt., I might also attend Califonia Polytechnic Univ. to get a Certificate in Human Resource Management to back up my HR career transition.

The school is on the Top 7 in Western Universities according to US News. This is one of the reason why I wanted to attend this school while working full time. In addition, JPL employees are attending this school as well.

The other option is to attend my F'n alma mater :sukaback: where they offer a Masters in Human Resource Management. They are not even on the top 50 schools in the western region.

My concern is that the MA in Mgmt degree holder may be perceived as inferior compared to MBA. The advisor reassured me that "a masters is a masters degree. Your experience, passion, and performance is what matters most after you get your Masters."

/end of thread revival

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kuroy, nakapag enrol ka na ba sa SJSU or tapos ka na?

2002 pa pala ang thread na ito, and thats about the same time when I enrolled for my BS. I just finished two months ago. School and work full time and finished in 3 years. Its hectic but you get used to it after one semester.

Nakaka-adik ang school kaya Im getting my Masters :hihihi:

10. Join Date
    May 2004
    bilisan mong tapusin yang masters mo... me doctorate ka pang kasunod :hihihi:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
On US Universities