New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I was in a meeting earlier when I saw on a screen that the US government shut down forcing around 800,000 workers to go on unpaid leave and medical research, pensions and other expenses will be put on hold. The shutdown was caused by their politicians who are currently having a major disagreement and cannot resolve their differences.

After seeing that, I called up some brokers to ask about stocks and other instruments, rates, exchange rate... Boy... Strange times indeed though I guess they had it coming. It makes me also wonder if the Philippine government might face a similar situation with all the corruption scandals it is currently facing.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    It is a partial shutdown essential personnel still report for work. The non-essential employees are on furlough but once a budget is passed the days they were on furlough will be back paid at some point like the last time there was a shutdown in the 90's. This won't last long because the GOP will figure out they have nothing to gain by doing this since the President isn't up for re-election and they have an election next year for Congress. They are already getting the blame for this because of their Tea Party members.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It is not the first time it has happened in the US. No big deal, it is just politics.

Philippine laws are different. If congress does not pass a budget then the previous year's budget automatically is extended. The president then has full authority to allocate the budget for infrastructure and capex as he/she pleases. Happened twice already during gma's tenure.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    It is not the first time it has happened in the US. No big deal, it is just politics.

Philippine laws are different. If congress does not pass a budget then the previous year's budget automatically is extended. The president then has full authority to allocate the budget for infrastructure and capex as he/she pleases. Happened twice already during gma's tenure.
    It's not a big deal to you because it doesn't affect you but to those who are affected it is a big deal.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    They should pass a law that it is illegal to have a shutdown because the only reason they do that is for political manuevring only and has no benefits whatsoever. It can be subject to abuse.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    The first shutdown had the opposite effect during the presidency of Clinton. The Republicans led by then Speaker Newt Gingrich were blamed for it and Clinton's popularity rose enough to win him his second term. The Tea Party is testing the patience of the public...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Oh well,- one uncertainty after another.....

The true test of the market system.

21.2K:tomato:

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    If that happens here, I don't think there's going to be a big difference.... LTO, always offline, senate and congress, at least half the people are asleep or playing games.

And don't get me started on PNoy. ;)

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    It's not a big deal to you because it doesn't affect you but to those who are affected it is a big deal.
    the TS mentioned about stocks market, exchange rate, etc. i was referring to that. please read the post not individually but as an answer to the question it was answering (the TS' post, not yours).

i know there will be a lot of people employed by the US federal government who will not get a pay check during the shut down. i was not referring to that nor was i answering your post.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    this Treasury Letter to Congress_100113 is a greater concern than the govt shutdown

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast