New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hi guys, previously posted a thread here about working in San Francisco in California. Got a leave and would like to try and stay there for a while and see how things go.

Unfortunately I'd be going on my own and am in need of having to ship a balikbayan box worth of clothes.

Consulted the usual LBC, DHL,etc., but it's too expensive for the budget. I'm hoping having it shipped via a cargo vessel would be much cheaper.

Curious lang if may nagpadala na ba to the US ng balikbayan box filled with clothes via cargo (by sea instead of air freight)? Saan ako pupunta if ever, and how much kaya estimate ng pagpapadala compared to air freight? And lalampas kaya ng 1 month before it gets there? TIA guys. :-)

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I think you're better off buying clothes in the US. It's so much cheaper there. I think it's gonna be expensive to ship going to the US. I sent my Mom a 5 page document via LBC and it cost me P1,200. That was back in 2007.

Sea freight coming from the US takes around 4-6 weeks and costs around $50-70/box. I am not sure how much it would cost if it's the other way around.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I agree with Cathy. Just look for those outlet stores where they sell the name brand stuff at discounted prices. It can be surprisingly cheap.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    It's good to know that you have finally decided to try your luck in SanFo. You are very much welcome to come over and work here.

Now, regarding your baggage problem. If you only plan on staying in a month or two, you are allowed to bring in two large luggages (go check with your airlines for specs). Some folks bring in two balikbayan boxes in lieu of luggages.

If you insist in shipping a box ahead of your trip, you can try this http://www.manilaforwarder.com/ and other cargo forwarders. It will take at least 4 weeks from point to point for the delivery (I may be wrong on this).

I also agree with GH and C4U regarding their suggestion on buying your clothes here. It'll also give you options as to what to wear for your interviews.

Hope this helps.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Try and get hired in this company. Hope this motivates you even more

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwMI1oeQJYc&feature=youtube_gdata"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwMI1oeQJYc&feature=youtube_gdata[/ame]

And another one:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_MszKIc6uI&feature=youtube_gdata"][SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_MszKIc6uI&feature=youtube_gdata[/SIZE][/ame]

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by batang_raon14 View Post
    Hi guys, previously posted a thread here about working in San Francisco in California. Got a leave and would like to try and stay there for a while and see how things go.

Unfortunately I'd be going on my own and am in need of having to ship a balikbayan box worth of clothes.

Consulted the usual LBC, DHL,etc., but it's too expensive for the budget. I'm hoping having it shipped via a cargo vessel would be much cheaper.

Curious lang if may nagpadala na ba to the US ng balikbayan box filled with clothes via cargo (by sea instead of air freight)? Saan ako pupunta if ever, and how much kaya estimate ng pagpapadala compared to air freight? And lalampas kaya ng 1 month before it gets there? TIA guys. :-)

i used to send boxes and parcel before for my parents/kin on both coasts thru johny air cargo located sa megamall sm and that was during the early 90's nung nasa pinas pa ako. yup shipping and air. affordable yung price than most and dependable yung carrier, na kahit undeclared goods ko like over the counter na gamot (illegal sa US), jewelry, or even cash eh nakakarating "on time" usually (hindi naman sila fedex or dhl kasi eh). they pick up the box from your location (fee) or you can just drop it off. ako i drop it there mismo sa gamol at the basement near the game area and comic shops. fortunately the office's still there last time na destino ako dyan although my info's outdated so better ring them up. also may discount ka yata kung member ka ng philmug. my folks used forex cargo i think or i don't remember, when they send a balikbayan box to the province

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, I have used Johnny Air too (to ship and get packages from New York). They're pretty ok.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Thanks guys for the output. I think I'd be just buying clothes there na lang. Went to some freight companies din kasi kanina and the costs is high, $235 USD but good for 500kgs. worth of stuff. Too bad I don't have that much stuff to bring though and since di sulit, mamimili na nga lang siguro ako dun pagdating.

I think I'm gonna stay for a month and will follow the vids and tips here. Oras na para makipagsapalaran. Hehe thanks everyone! =)

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Just bring your important stuff na lang tapos dito ka na lang mamili. Basta bring clothes na good for a week para weekly ang laba mo dito.

Actually, pareho tayo ng situation. Pero I just have one luggage and one hand carry lang. Nandito ako sa San Jose, CA now.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    dont make sense in shipping out a lot of stuff there too expensive, just do your shopping once you get there it'll make more sense in the long run believe me...

travel light ...less hassle & faster to move along ...

just came back from AK i just brought me one checked in luggage , a laptop backpack and a trolley carry on thats it( rest of my stuff stays back there .. ika nga may damit pang america may damit pang manila) .... fast and easy with the security check and all set in less than 5 mins....

bring your 1 fave pants, 1 fave sneakers , and a whole lot of underwear ! for me KEY is white shirts cant go wrong with white shirts ... and a nice sweat hoodie easy as 1 2 3 .... good luck and have a safe journey ....

OT : nothing beats Xmas in the PI baby ... great food ... solid friends .. loving family ... Life is good baby !!!
    Last edited by kenzie; November 13th, 2009 at 08:20 AM.

Tips on shipping a package to the US?