The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    MMDA warned against defying SC ruling

First posted 05:47pm (Mla time) Dec 28, 2005
    By Tetch Torres
    INQ7.net

THE METRO Manila Development Authority (MMDA) is wrong if it will insist on arresting erring motorists despite a Supreme Court ruling prohibiting the agency from doing so, the high court's Information chief Ismael Khan said Wednesday.

Khan said either Congress or local government units should authorize the MMDA to do this.

MMDA Chairman Bayani Fernando said in an interview on GMA Network's "Flash Report" earlier on Wednesday that the MMDA would continue arresting violators despite
    the high court ruling.

At the same time, Fernando asked Congress to review the agency's mandate.

"The ruling of the Supreme Court second division is very clear -- that [the] MMDA has no police power," Khan said.

"MMDA has no authority or leg to stand on without an authority coming from Congress or the local government units, which delegate them to do such arrests," he said.

Khan added that the case could no longer be appealed even if it was a division in the high tribunal that issued the ruling.

"The decision of a division of the Supreme Court is a decision of the court itself," Khan said.

In a decision dated December 5, the high court's second division dismissed the MMDA's petition for the court to reconsider its ruling stopping the agency from issuing traffic violation receipts (TVRs) and confiscating drivers' licenses.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well, that's going way too far imo. he may disagree vehemently with the court (lord knows i hate half the rulings the US supreme court makes), but no one is above the law, even if he thinks he's doing the right thing.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    too bad this happened. Now that they cant apprehend watch the traffic go from bad to worse. all erring drivers will just do what they want which was the reason why the mmda was made.

Only bayani made it better to the disgust of binay who held the post and was ineffective. et al

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    natawa ako sa sinabi ni Bayani na MMDA lang hindi nila ma outline ng mabuti paano pa kaya ang parliamento?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sayang...

Bayani was one of the best gov't officials around.

before he lead the MMDA, my travel time to and fro the office was around 1.5 hours one-way. but now it has been reduced to almost half of that.

before he lead the MMDA, I used to take all sorts of shortcuts to avoid traffic along major roads. but now travel time along the major roads is bearable and is better than going thru the said shortcuts.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sino ngayon ang huhuli!?

mga pulis!?

instead of agencies specializing a specific task para maging mas effeient...lalo nila ginagawang general ang task...ang dami na ngang ginagawa ng mga pulis.sa sobrang dami di na nila alam kung ano gagawin nila.nagkakamali mali na.

mmm... ano na silbi ng MMDA?

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    so ano gagawin ko if ever i get flagged down by an mmda traffic personnel? should i contest his authority and not surrender my license? :confused:

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    so ano na mangyayari don sa nilagay ng mmda?

10. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    kung ganun sino pa hihinto pag pumara MMDA?! mga OGAG sila.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Tigasin talaga si Bayani!