New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My 5 year old Vios is due for registration already. I visited LTO Paranaque awhile ago to have my car registered but for some reasons I failed the emission tests. Here are the scenarios that I did prior testing.

1.) I'm using Blaze as my fuel for 6-9 months already. Yeah mahal but I'm just maximizing the fuel allowance given by the company of my wife and I thought there's this added protection to my engine if I use the 96+ RON which is Blaze.
    2.) I regularly maintain my car but sometimes I exceed the prescribed KM reading for maintenance which is every 5k kilometers. I exceed like 500-600 hundred, pinakamataas na nag exceed ko ay +1100kilometers.
    3.) Present KM reading is at 55400+ and my car hasn't visited the casa for it's preventive maintenance yet. Kampante ako kanina na papasa sa emission tests ang sasakyan ko kasi 5 years old pa lang or is that old already?

The readings that I got from the emission center are the following:

Hydrocarbons = 800+ which is bagsak
    CO2 = .6 (it has a check mark so I guess they gave me a passing grade for this).

The technician told me that my hydrocarbons are way way up. So any tips on how to lower the hydrocarbns?

Isa pang concern ko, once a vehicle didn't pass the emission test does that mean may sira na ang sasakyan ko and always hindi na sya papasa sa emissions? Can this be corrected; like is there a long term solution for this? Ayaw ko kasi iyong tinitimpla timpla lang iyong carbeurator settings oh and btw wala akong karburador.

Iyong Vios ko pala ay may catalytic converter does that also mean sira na ang CC ko? After 5 years ba nasisira ang CC?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    May ganyang test pala for cars? ano ang consequences kapag hindi siya nakapasa sa emission test?

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Smoke emissions is a pre-requisite to have your vehicle registered. So failed emissions means you won't be able to register your vehicle unless you have it fixed.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by froshie1 View Post
    My 5 year old Vios is due for registration already. I visited LTO Paranaque awhile ago to have my car registered but for some reasons I failed the emission tests. Here are the scenarios that I did prior testing.

1.) I'm using Blaze as my fuel for 6-9 months already. Yeah mahal but I'm just maximizing the fuel allowance given by the company of my wife and I thought there's this added protection to my engine if I use the 96+ RON which is Blaze.
    2.) I regularly maintain my car but sometimes I exceed the prescribed KM reading for maintenance which is every 5k kilometers. I exceed like 500-600 hundred, pinakamataas na nag exceed ko ay +1100kilometers.
    3.) Present KM reading is at 55400+ and my car hasn't visited the casa for it's preventive maintenance yet. Kampante ako kanina na papasa sa emission tests ang sasakyan ko kasi 5 years old pa lang or is that old already?

The readings that I got from the emission center are the following:

Hydrocarbons = 800+ which is bagsak
    CO2 = .6 (it has a check mark so I guess they gave me a passing grade for this).

The technician told me that my hydrocarbons are way way up. So any tips on how to lower the hydrocarbns?

Isa pang concern ko, once a vehicle didn't pass the emission test does that mean may sira na ang sasakyan ko and always hindi na sya papasa sa emissions? Can this be corrected; like is there a long term solution for this? Ayaw ko kasi iyong tinitimpla timpla lang iyong carbeurator settings oh and btw wala akong karburador.

Iyong Vios ko pala ay may catalytic converter does that also mean sira na ang CC ko? After 5 years ba nasisira ang CC?
    Was the emissions test done right after you started the car? it just means your car wasn't warmed up properly before the emissions test was done.

The catalytic converter requires a couple of minutes (or more) to get to operating temperature. My corolla's emissions test always came out with flying colors because I made sure the engine was never turned off while my car was waiting for the test to be done.

(Note: although my car runs on LPG, I always have it running on gasoline during my emissions test.)

Regarding catalytic converter, it can be destroyed either by using leaded gasoline (lead coating the catalysts) or if your engine is running too rich for too long (catalysts will melt into slag).

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    800 is huge. My car has racing cams, with the O2 sensors disconnected, and I still get just over 300 ppm.

Either your car is still cold or your O2 sensors are busted... but if the O2 sensors are busted, you should get a check engine light on the dashboard.

You can also check the MAF sensor and see if it's functioning properly.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    time to buy a new car...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Thanks peeps for the informative posts. Some questions...

*ghost, what do you mean by "if your engine is running too rich for too long (catalysts will melt into slag)." what is it about engine running too rich for too long? Do you mean by running rich if you're using high ron gasoline such as Blaze?

*ghost and niky, it looks like the cold temperature is the culprit. I went to LTO Paranaque which was 3-4 Kms away from my house so baka hindi pa talagang warm up iyong sasakyan and besides that I still have to park my car and wait (engine off) for 30-45 minutes just to have my car test its emissions. And where can I find the MAF sensor? Is it being sold separately or is it most likely available at the dealership whenever you have your vehicle tuned up?

*shadow, hehehe no plans yet pards. I'm planning to keep this for a very long time :-)

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Try warming up the car first on your next visit. But you could also try another testing center. Might be an issue with that tester if your car isn't guzzling gas like crazy.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by froshie1 View Post
    Thanks peeps for the informative posts. Some questions...

*ghost, what do you mean by "if your engine is running too rich for too long (catalysts will melt into slag)." what is it about engine running too rich for too long? Do you mean by running rich if you're using high ron gasoline such as Blaze?
    This will only be a problem if your engine is running too rich... choice of fuel is not a cause of this.

*ghost and niky, it looks like the cold temperature is the culprit. I went to LTO Paranaque which was 3-4 Kms away from my house so baka hindi pa talagang warm up iyong sasakyan and besides that I still have to park my car and wait (engine off) for 30-45 minutes just to have my car test its emissions. And where can I find the MAF sensor? Is it being sold separately or is it most likely available at the dealership whenever you have your vehicle tuned up?
    Just have it checked. Usually a busted MAF sensor would result in an engine check light.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the inputs! My car passed with flying colors! Here are the things that I did prior testing.

1.) Tune up and change oil.
    2.) Clean fuel throttle.
    3.) Change fuel to 93+ RON.
    4.) Didn't turn off engine until emission testing was done.

Btw, iyong cc ko hindi damaged though walang MAF sensor iyong Toyota Bicutan. Kinabit na lang nila sa computer at wala namang lumabas na error message at sabi nga nila na kapag busted ang catalytic converter eh mag check engine light ang sasakyan.

LTO emission test. Questions and dilemma