New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    [SIZE="5"]Height a Pain for Ukraine's 'Gulliver'[/SIZE]

By Anna Melnichuk, Associated Press Writer

PODOLIANTSI, Ukraine - At age 33, Leonid Stadnik wishes he would stop growing. He's already 8 feet, 4 inches. Recent measurements show that Stadnik is already 7 inches taller than Radhouane Charbib of Tunisia, listed by the Guinness Book of World Records as the tallest living man.

He's also gaining on the 8-11 Robert Wadlow, the tallest man in history. Yet for Stadnik, the prospect of becoming a record-holder would be little comfort.

"My two-year-old suit's sleeves and pants are now 30 centimeters (12 inches) shorter than I need," said Stadnik. "My height is God's punishment. My life has no sense."

Stadnik's height keeps him confined to this tiny village 130 miles west of the capital, Kiev.

"Taking a public bus for me is the same as getting into a car's trunk for a normal person," he said.

Stadnik's unusual growth began after a brain operation at age 14, which is believed to have stimulated his pituitary gland. Since then, life just keeps getting harder.

Although he once was able to work as a veterinarian at a cattle farm, he had to quit three years ago after his feet were frostbitten because he wasn't able to afford proper shoes for his 17-inch feet.

This month, he finally got a good pair, paid for by some local businessmen. Their $200 cost was the equivalent of about seven months' worth of the tiny pension that Stadnik receives in the economically struggling country.

Stadnik sleeps on two beds joined lengthwise and moves in a crouch through the small one-story house that he shares with his mother Halyna.

His weight of about 440 pounds aggravates a recently broken leg, and he suffers from constant knee pain.

Despite his aches, he tries to keep himself busy with the usual routine of country life. He works in the garden, tends the family's cows and pigs, and helps neighbors with their animals.

To relax, he cultivates exotic plants and pampers his tiny, blue and yellow pet parakeet with his huge hands.

Bronyslav, a neighbor who refused to give his last name, described Stadnik as the "most unselfish, diligent man of a pure soul."

His friends, in turn, treat him with the same sort of soft good humor. They're trying to organize a trip for him to the Carpathian Mountains to show him that "there's something in the world taller than you," Bronyslav said.

[SIZE="2"]An unidentified woman, left, tries to measure a height of Leonid Stadnik, Ukrainian veterinarian, said to be the world's tallest man, in the village of Podoliantsy, Ukraine's northwestern Zhytomyr region, 212 kilometers (131.74 miles) west of the capital Kiev, Friday, April 16, 2004. Stadnik, 2.53 meter (8' 4") tall, is still growing up. (AP Photo/Efrem Lukatsky)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]A woman touches the fist of Ukrainian veterinarian Leonid Stadnik, said to be the world's tallest man, in the village of Podoliantsi in Ukraine's Zhytomyr regin 210 km (130 miles) west of the capital Kiev on Friday, April 16, 2004. Standik is 2.53 meters tall, his hand is 31 centimeters long, and he does not stop growing. (AP Photo/Efrem Lukatsky[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]Leonid Stadnik, 2.53 meters (8' 4") tall, a Ukrainian veterinarian, tries to dial a cell phone in the village of Podoliantsy, Ukraine's northwestern Zhytomyr region, 212 kilometers (132 miles) west of the capital Kiev, Friday, April 16, 2004. Stadnik, 33, said to be the world's tallest man, is still growing up. (AP Photo/Efrem Lukatsky)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]Leonid Stadnik, 2.53 meter (8' 4") tall, Ukrainian veterinarian, holds a door as his mother Halyna, left, looks on in the village of Podoliantsy, Ukraine's northwestern Zhytomyr region, 212 kilometers (131.74 miles) west of the capital Kiev, Friday, April 16, 2004. Stadnik, 33, said to be the world's tallest man, is still growing up.[/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Ayos to ah! 8'4" ! Tangkad nito, malamang hanggang waist lang ako nito. HEHEHEHE

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    naisip ko ngayon lang... did these tall men ever have girlfriends/wives?

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dazedchiq View Post
    naisip ko ngayon lang... did these tall men ever have girlfriends/wives?
    are you into tall men?

That's a thought eh, but I think all the tallest ballers in the NBA have wives/gf's, so I think there's still be women who'll go for guys that tall.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Lagi siguro siya tama pag may debate Pag bumanat siya ng "naliliitan ka ata sakin eh" tapos na ang dabate

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dapat mamasukan siya bilang basketbol player...

...o kaya taga palit ng light bulb

7. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Hey, great post here.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ^ 1st post. Hukay ng thread.

Welcome.

Tallest Living Man