New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sana pati dito implement na rin nila. I really don't get it with this "people" how can they review, do thesis in a coffee shop? would it be better if they just do it in their rooms? kahit yun pag browse lang sa internet. it's uncomfortable browsing the net in a coffee shop.

Starbucks students, laptop loungers: Your days are numbered | ZDNet
    Starbucks students, laptop loungers: Your days are numbered

By Zack Whittaker | August 4, 2011, 4:10pm PDT

Summary: ‘Laptop loungers’: those who stay in Starbucks all day with their laptops plugged in, may not be able to if the coffee company has its way.

Sitting with a freshly brewed coffee, on a warm, cosy yet oddly slightly sticky armchair, covered in stains and smelling like a cattery, laptop plugged into the wall and sipping gently as you whack out the last few hundred words of that all-important mid-term paper.

We’ve all done it. I thought that was what Starbucks was for?

But perhaps not for much longer.

(Image via Flickr)

Some busy Starbucks outlets in New York City are discouraging laptop users from plugging in as they sip their venti, by blocking power sockets and freeing up spaces for other customers.

It’s an odd concoction considering it was around this time last year that Starbucks started rolling out free AT&T powered Wi-Fi to its customers. All but every Starbucks coffee shop with seats available have wireless internet access for purchase and to browse the web with.

Though no announcement has been made by Starbucks on the wires, many have taken it as an indication that users should use only their laptop batteries for browsing the web, finishing off that essay or sending that ‘all important accounts document to Phil back at head office’ — so they can push off, sooner rather than later.

But for students — this wonderfully niche market of younger people, in particular — there is nothing better than escaping from the college library to enjoy a coffee made at ones behest, to sit and work in comfort away from the stresses of campus.

While wireless internet should not necessarily be free, nor should users simply sit down and sponge off it without making a purchase from the shop itself, blocking off the power points seems to be a step in the wrong direction.

Granted, Starbucks is not an internet café, but it is has a culture for which many come in and sit and work. This just sends out the wrong message and without any explanation from a press release, frankly it just looks rude.

Maybe there should be a one coffee per hour loyalty card scheme. Having said that, more than one coffee per hour for me, and I’d be bouncing off the walls.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Some people just want to be "seen".

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    tapos pag nag dip na naman ang sales babawiin na naman nila yan.. gaya nung no smoking campaign nila na 1 month lang ang tinagal..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For one, they cannot just implement this en masse. The lifeline of a Starbucks in a university/school area may be exactly these kind of users so best first they do the research and trial before really implementing it.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Never studied at a coffee shop or fast food? When you're cramming, sometimes you need a change of scenery... it can feel cramped in your dorm room or apartment. And a place that serves snacks and coffee is more convenient than an apartment where you have to prepare food yourself.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Never studied at a coffee shop or fast food? When you're cramming, sometimes you need a change of scenery... it can feel cramped in your dorm room or apartment. And a place that serves snacks and coffee is more convenient than an apartment where you have to prepare food yourself.
    +1. walang basagan ng trip. iba iba ang tao. hangat di nakakaperwisyo yaan nyo lang. unless nappeperwisyo kayo ng me nag-aaral sa tabi nyo sa coffee shop. entirely different dun sa smoking yan.
    btw, i am not one of those(studying in starbucks). di pa uso starbucks nung nagaaral ako.:D

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I never studied, period

but aren't coffee shops full of distractions and not really conducive for education? sometimes istorbo na sila dahil whole day naka tambay doon pero 1 or 2 lang na coffee order, paano naman yun ibang customers na iinom lang ng coffee gusto lang nila enjoy yun coffee for a short time pero wala ng pwesto bec of these "studious" customers? eh yun mga prime spot pa naman ang nakukuha ng mga coffee shop lounge huggers dahil maaaga sila doon at na fence na nila yun maganadang pwesto.

sometimes kasi nakakabwisit na you just want to enjoy your coffee with a cookie or two. just spend a little time sitting there until ma consume mo na coffee mo then aalis ka na. pero you can't do that. either you order to go or sit outside the shop with the smokers kahit hinde ka naninigarilyo dahil wala ng pwesto sa loob.

lalo na yun mga yuppies meron lang silang limited time to enjoy their coffees then kailangan na bumalik sa office for another round of grueling work loads. they just want to escape kahit sandali yun office, punta ng starbucks upo doon pero walang pwesto..bad trip!

8. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    I never studied, period

but aren't coffee shops full of distractions and not really conducive for education? sometimes istorbo na sila dahil whole day naka tambay doon pero 1 or 2 lang na coffee order, paano naman yun ibang customers na iinom lang ng coffee din pero wala ng pwesto bec of these "studious" customers?
    +1 i also wonder how can they concentrate with their work-at-hand in these noisy place.
    For all I know, tumatambay lang mga yan para maki internet kasi wala silang net sa dorm, or mahina net sa school

one last thing: they are thinking they are "cool" when they do that - strutting to starbucks with their windows laptop and notes

9. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niwde11 View Post
    +1. walang basagan ng trip. iba iba ang tao. hangat di nakakaperwisyo yaan nyo lang. unless nappeperwisyo kayo ng me nag-aaral sa tabi nyo sa coffee shop. entirely different dun sa smoking yan.
    btw, i am not one of those(studying in starbucks). di pa uso starbucks nung nagaaral ako.:D
    There were no Starbucks during my student days either, so cramming -- especially late at night -- were done in 24-hour branches of Wendy's, hehe!

But yeah, a change in scenery helps. In one's room, dorm, the quiet solitude can be a disadvantage as it is conducive to sleep. Likewise, being in a public place gives a certain urgency to one's task. I've actually done a significant amount of productive work inside a Starbucks.. since the office can sometimes be distracting with requests for signatures, or ad hoc meetings, etc.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Kahit sa library hindi ako makaaral eh .

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Starbucks students, laptop loungers: Your days are numbered