New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Dear All,

Below is a safety sharing of learnings coming from the business group.

A few months back a young man lost his life in an unusual incident involving an elevator in a newly opened office. He had entered a lift while the doors were closing and the elevator moved trapping his head in the half closed door. He was dragged upwards and lost his life due to the injuries he had sustained. On investigation it was discovered that a similar incident had occurred in a 5 star hotel where the employee did not lose his life but was severely injured nevertheless.

Most of us have the habit of sticking in our hand or foot in between closing elevator doors in order to enter it. This action will normally push the doors open again giving us sufficient time to move in. By this action we entrust our safety to the electronics in the elevator which while extremely reliable can fail as evidenced in the above two cases. I would therefore request you to warn all personnel in your countries to use the buttons outside or inside the elevator to open it or if this is not possible take the next elevator.

For the countries who have a Behaviour Observation programme this could be one of the areas of observations among all staff who use elevators in offices, factories etc. in order to ensure behaviour correction. For those who do not have such a programme at present this should be given adequate publicity to ensure that such behaviour is discouraged.

For your information and safe ride on elevators.
    paalala lang guys... alam natin sakit ng tao yung paghabol sa elevators.

better safe than sorry.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yikes, thanks for the warning. Its freaky because I did just that (stuck my arm in the door so it wouldn't close) last week. Fortunately, the door sensors worked that time. Paano kung nasa building ka na luma ang elevator at walang mga sensor yung pinto, o paano kung mag-fail yung sensor sa maling oras?

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    I've read or heard about such incidents before, that's why I don't enter elevators in a hurry.

Thanks for the warning

5. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    I got frightening elevator experience too.
    This happened in St Luke's hospital early this year on the periodic check-up of my kids. I was with my wife and 2 kids aged 6 and 4 that time and for some reason we are asked to go to the 3rd floor for some special test (not the main building). So that was not the usual route for my kids. When we are at 3rd floor sitting outside one of the room while waiting for our turn my kids are running all over the place until they came to the elevator that open and they get in. I run as fast as I could to stop the elevator and was able to sticked my hand in between doors but it doesn't open so I pulled in all haste and effort my arm. So the elevator went up and without thought i run into the stairs to catch my kids, good thing the elevator stops on the next floor. But I knew that elevator is defective for not sensing my arm. My bad that i was not able to report the incident to hospital management.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the warning. Will be very careful in entering / exiting elevators.

7. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Had an elevator malfunction on me at St Lukes hospital too.. This happened while my wife and I were checking out with our new baby. There were two other persons inside the cab with me when the cab suddenly got stuck between floors and then the lights went out inside the cab. The emergency call button didnt work either... There was no way for us to inform anyone that we were trapped inside.

Eventually, the maintenance men found out and manually brought the cab up until we were halfway into a floor and then we crawled out of the cab into safety... The other persons inside were already hyperventilating from fear and from the heat inside... We complained to management but didnt even get an apology.... Grrrr...

8. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Yung elevator dito sa office building dead spot pa. So kung na stuck ka inside you cant call for help. But of course there is no dead line for seeking help from somebody above.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    buti na lang... mechanical yung sensor ng elevators sa office... para siyang may spring...

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    hmmm good thing most buildings i go to eh may mga elevator attendants na.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Safety Incident - Learnings