New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Here something I wrote as a tribute to this fearless warrior...

--------------------
    Diego “Chico” Corrales: 1977 - 2007

Diego "Chico" Corrales, one of the boxing's brightest stars at age 29, came down crashing in a tragic motorcycle accident in Las Vegas on the evening of May 07, 2007.

The news came as a shock to many boxing fans. I was never really a rabid Corrales fan but I do appreciate the way he valiantly fought and won against Jose Luis Castillo in that classic bout for the WBC lightweight title on May 7, 2005, exactly two years before the tragedy. They were involved in a rematch that was as explosive as the first one although it was marred with weight issues that caused the fight to be a non-title affair. Many believe that these battles could have taken a lot from Corrales, as he hasn't been the same in subsequent fights. He recently lost to Joel Casamayor for the WBC lightweight championship and was defeated by Joshua Clottey in Chico's first fight as a welterweight.

Looking back, Corrales had other memorable bouts. A noteworthy fight is the one involving pound-for-pound king "Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather in 2001, which was a battle of two unbeaten superfeatherweights that Mayweather completely dominated. It was the first time Diego was ever knocked down, and it came in bunches, a total of five, until his handlers couldn't take it anymore. But he showed tremendous heart by getting up after every fall and vehemently protesting his corner's action of calling off the fight.

Another fight of significance is his 2004 battle with Acelino "Popo" Freitas for the WBO lightweight crown, where Chico handed Popo his first loss. Corrales knocked him down three times before Freitas declared "No mas!" in the 10th round and quit, which was the same thing Popo did in his recent loss to Juan Diaz. It's a contrasting difference to the couragous heart that Corrales has been known to possess.

After this terrible incident, it's regrettable for boxing fans that we would be denied of witnessing potential matchups for Diego in the superlightweight or welterweight divisions. Well-known warriors such as Miguel Cotto, Zab Judah, Antonio Margarito and Ricky Hatton would have possibly made blockbuster fights with Chico.

An exciting brawler to watch, Diego Corrales would be sorely missed in the boxing world.

Here's the link to the article
    ---------------------

R.I.P. Chico!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    RIP Chico

for me to date, the best boxing match i ever watched was the first Diego Corrales-Jose Luis Castillo bout. thanks Champ!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWL0pr1ARzQ
    Last edited by OiC65; May 9th, 2007 at 06:37 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    May he rest in peace.

It reminded of a friend's son who was also involved in a motorcycle accident last week - a head on with another motorcycle. The son is still in ICU. He suffered multiple broken bones. The other party died.

Ingat lang mga motorcyclist.
    Last edited by j_avonni; May 9th, 2007 at 12:48 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Not the best but he has the biggest heart in the ring. he will be remembered.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    RIP to Chico he's one of the best fighter na kahit bumabagsak ng ilang
    beses bumabangon at pinatutulog ang kalaban. Pwede sana sya makalaban
    ni Manny sa lightweight.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    wow that's a shocking news! sikat at magaling na boxer pa naman yun. parang kelan lang kinakalaban ko sya lagi sa Knockout Kings sa PSP gamit si manny pacquiao. hehehe sorry to say, dun ko kasi una sya na notice. may he rest in peace...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    By the way, Diego Corrales lost his last fight against Joshua Clottey by Unanimous Decision in his 1st fight as a welterweight. Corrales down in the 9th & 10th rds and was docked one point for spitting out his mouthpiece. Not disrespecting Corrales but I don't think he belongs in the 147 lb division. I think the Jr. Welterweight(140lbs) is just about right although he is quite tall(5'-11') and has a large frame. He should've at least fought a fringe welterweight fighter before fighting top notch boxer in Clottey.
    Last edited by mikaztro; May 9th, 2007 at 07:25 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    FYI: Diego Corrales was the former Superfeatherweight(130lbs) champ and Lightweight(135lb) champ. He was stripped off his title he won from JL Castillo prior to engaging Joel Casamayor. He lost his titles at the scales and fought Casamayor 4 lbs over the 135lbs weight limit. That same weight problem plagued former WBC Lightweight champ Jose Luis Castillo where they postponed their grudge match with Corrales because he couldn't make the 135 lb weight limit. Nonetheless, Casamayor in a weight disadvantage defeated Corrales by a decision in their grudge match. After several months of hybernation, he skipped the Jr. Welterweight division(140) and fought Welterweight contender Joshua Clottey who defeated him by Unanimous Decision.

Chico is a warrior!!! RIP.
    Last edited by mikaztro; May 9th, 2007 at 07:26 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    parang dapat sa isang boxer na lang nagyari yan para matigil na ang kalokohan sa pagtakbo sa congress...

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Wag naman brad..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sad day for baoxing fans: Diego Corrales dies in a motorcycle accident