New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Read http://www.philstar.com/philstar/NEWS200602020404.htm

halluuuur we were self-sufficient way back then, until the government, beginning with Marcos up to the present, starts f*cking up everything

geez

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    we were not just self-sufficient way back.... we were exporting rice to other asian countries back then. Thats how bad we are now.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Bakit hintayin pa ang 2009? Di ba pwedeng agarin yan? Isa tayo sa mga rice producing countries sa mundo, pero nagi-import tayo ng bigas galing sa ibang bansa. Parang mali, di ba?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Di pa tapos mga racket nila sa importasyon hehe.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    di naman ata matutuloy yan, im attending a commodity bid for 400,000 mt of long grain rice and another 400,000 mt of well-milled white rice for the next six months, e kaya ba natin magproduce ng ganun pa karami while population is still increasing?

there's no strong industry talaga dito sa pilipinas kaya we're relying on imports for most products...

well except carjacking maybe...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    However, he said achieving adequate rice production will only be possible if the government provides the required financial support of P3.3 billion this year to rehabilitate the deteriorating national and communal irrigation systems.
    that's a big IF...P3.3 billion is a lot of money to go around.

anyway, assuming that the money will be used appropriately, i agree with the above statement. rice farming regions like cagayan valley has been switching from rice farming to other types of farming (fruits, livestock, etc) na di nangangailangan ng tubig masyado. tsaka they need to give more incentives to rice farmers talaga. what's in it for them? my grandfather slaved over decades of rice farming. sinong yumaman? yung mga may ari ng bodega.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    The government also has to consider the alarming rate by which agricultural lands are being converted to either subdivisions, malls or factories.

When I was growing up in my hometown (I still live there, incidentally) there were farmlands as far as my little eyes can see. More than 70% of the land were agricultural lands and fisheries. Now, I think it's less than 8% and growing smaller. This could be attributed to a lot of things but the most common case at my hometown is this: the children of the farmers don't want to take up rice planting anymore, either because they are now white-collared working professionals or would want to sell the land to make money to start a business.

Personally, I think this declaration of of the DA is full of BS.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Heck, the land we have here in Laguna (which was probably the best place to grow rice back in the 60's) has been covered in factories and malls.

The only way they can promote more rice growth is to invest in infrastructure (railways and roads) up north, towards the farmlands, and to give more incentives to farmers.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    im losing hope na basta pagdating sa Agriculture dito sa Pinas, lalo na ngayong nabulgar na sa Senate hearing kung paano ginamit ang pera ng DA noong Election 2004. nakakainis na!!!

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    it's a damn shame; we were once considered pioneers pa naman sa rice cultivation and research. di ba ung gamit na bigas ng thailand was a strain developed by our very own IRRI?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast