The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    RP couple returns $700,000 deposited by mistake to account
    Updated 05:03pm (Mla time) Oct 13, 2004
    By Veronica Uy
    INQ7.net

A FILIPINO couple based in New York returned 700,000 dollars that had been deposited by mistake to their savings account by a Manhattan-based European bank, the Department of Foreign Affairs said Wednesday.

The Philippine Consulate in New York presented Melchor and Rowena Bolivar with Foreign Affairs Secretary Alberto Romulo's letter of commendation and certificate of recognition for their “honesty and moral example.”

The Bolivars discovered the error, a deposit glitch made by a European bank to the Bolivars' account, early October, said DFA spokesman Gilbert Asuque.

He said this act of honesty came close on the heels of a similar incident in New York two months ago when taxi driver Nestor Sulpico returned jewelry left in his vehicle by a
    passenger.

Sulpico was similarly fêted by the Philippine Consulate in New York and by New York City officials.

“Instead of profiting from the error, the Bolivar spouses wasted no time in calling the attention of their Manhattan bank for the immediate return of the money to the European bank that made the deposit,” Asuque said.

“The European bank apparently did not know of the deposit
    glitch until its attention was called by the Bolivars’ Manhattan depository bank," Asuque said.

Edward Pollack, the Bolivars’ employer for the past nine years, and another Filipino employee accompanied the couple to the consulate for the simple ceremonies.

Hmmm... $700,000 = 1 Ferrari Enzo + 1 Porsche Cayenne + 1 BMW M5 :-)

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    another heroic act brought to you by Pinoy!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Good news para naman ma bago yung image ng pinoy... ng hindi na nila hina harassed sa Embassy pag nag aaply ng visa..

4. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    wow. sana ganyan din mga taxi drivers dito. konti na lang kasi ganyan. hindi ko alam kung lalampas sa bilang ng daliri!

5. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    one in a million deed

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    and such one great deed indeed

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    wow.. I can't imagine myself doing that..hehe Pero nagawa ko na yan dati sa Jeep, sinoli ko ung P50 na sukli ko na dapat ay P10 lang.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kudos to the couple!!!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    $700,000 is really hard to disposed of. If the couple decided to use it for themselves, sooner or later the authorities will find out. So, why not return it and get a commendation?

The jewelry which was returned by the Taxi driver is even harder to dispose of. If he starts selling it (He cant wear all of them anyway), authorities will find out.

If someone mistakenly deposited $70 to my account, I wouldnt return it. Why? Because it hard to notice that I am $70 richer as opposed to being $700,000 richer.

If someone left a pair of 5-carat earrings in my cab, I wouldn't return it. Because a 5-carat earring is easy to dispose as opposed to $50,000 worth of jewelry.

Is it really a question of MORALE or being SCARED of getting caught?

MABUHAY!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    yan ang pinoy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
RP couple returns 0,000