New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    It's just semantics. Not the best choice for a word to mean mid-range, but everybody gets the meaning anyway. Andaming problema sa mundo, pwede na nating palampasin yan.

When people started including chaka and chorva in their language, nobody gave a damn.

haha you can't solve the world's problems by being sloppy w/ terminology

2. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    higher end means, anything above low end.
    highest end is more popularly known as TOTL. top of the line.
    mid-end is a misnomer. there ain't no such thing. how can the middle have an end? it's landlocked between low end and high end. but we all know what they mean.
    heh heh.

LOL where did you get that definition of "higher end"? it sure doesn't exist in any dictionary.

it's really quite simple: low-end means lowest tier. there's nothing lower, that's why the word "end" is there.

high-end means highest tier. there's nothing higher. "end", remember?

mid-range means somewhere near the middle.

now if you wanna refer to something better than mid-range but below high-end then you could call it intermediate or something

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    LOL where did you get that definition of "higher end"? it sure doesn't exist in any dictionary.

it's really quite simple: low-end means lowest tier. there's nothing lower, that's why the word "end" is there.

high-end means highest tier. there's nothing higher. "end", remember?

mid-range means somewhere near the middle.

now if you wanna refer to something better than mid-range but below high-end then you could call it intermediate or something
    higher does not mean highest. it just means, higher than low. it's poetspeak, sir.
    come to think of it, this is all poetspeak.

if you want, we can just call them as they are.
    cheapest.
    most expensive.
    middle ground.
    but we won't find these words in the brochures, because they are harsh.
    hence the poetspeak.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    higher does not mean highest. it just means, higher than low. it's poetspeak, sir.
    come to think of it, this is all poetspeak.

if you want, we can just call them as they are.
    cheapest.
    most expensive.
    middle ground.
    but we won't find these words in the brochures, because they are harsh.
    hence the poetspeak.

nope it's not poetspeak, it's not even english!

actually no respectable person uses the term "higher end". it's just extremely bad form. only pseudo-journalists and youtubers like using it

5. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    It's Filipinism. Parang "tuck-in" ginawan ng "tuck-out". Imbes na "one moment please" naging "for a while". "turn on the light" naging "open the light". "week after next week" naging "next next week".

What's important is nagkakaintindihan. Although obviously, it causes confusion.

Tapatalked

6. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
    It's Filipinism. Parang "tuck-in" ginawan ng "tuck-out". Imbes na "one moment please" naging "for a while". "turn on the light" naging "open the light". "week after next week" naging "next next week".

What's important is nagkakaintindihan. Although obviously, it causes confusion.

Tapatalked

it's an international thing. just try listening to any kind of review on youtube like for a phone or something

as for nagkakaintindihan, dr.d says "higher end" means anything better than low-end. but personally i think "higher end" means something up there but not necessarily the best. see? confusion right there

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I stick to low-end stuff or "bang for the buck" tops. For example, watches. A $5 to $20 watch will do for me. I bought it to tell time, nothing more. It's the same with my other stuff. Function, rather than image.

Car? Low-end. I wanted the lowest-cost V6 midsize sedan I can get. Hence, my 2006 Sonata GLS 3.3L V6. I've run it roughshod daily for over 11 years now. I got my money's worth and then some. High-end cars? I don't mean Lexus or BMW. They're within my reach once my kids move out. I mean the super cars. The ones that cost more than my house and everything in it. Those are a distant dream unless I win the lottery.

High-end for me. About ~$200k:

Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 9th, 2016 at 11:16 PM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    it's an international thing. just try listening to any kind of review on youtube like for a phone or something

as for nagkakaintindihan, dr.d says "higher end" means anything better than low-end. but personally i think "higher end" means something up there but not necessarily the best. see? confusion right there

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    haha you can't solve the world's problems by being sloppy w/ terminology
    Neither is it necessarily true the other way around.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Ang tanong bakit end? Bat hindi. High-start, mid-start, saka low-start

Syempre bago bili mo pa lang car, simula pa lang

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast