New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I don't think that racism is the proper term to encompass all of this.

DISCRIMINATION might be a better term... whether race, gender, religion, economic status, culture, etc.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    We should also make a distinction between RACISM and STEREOTYPING.

If Stanford University starts to implement a policy to accept only WHITE students. It's racism.

If airport security officials subject you to greater scrutiny because you obviously look Middle Eastern, your religion is Islam, and you live in Yemen, that is called stereotyping.

If Asian employees are being denied promotion in a company in America, that is racism.

If all Pinays are often branded as domestic helpers in Hong Kong, that is stereotyping.

The difference is: Racism is based on outright discrimination without sufficient basis. Stereotyping is based on discrimination because of valid patterns that reflect one's image from the past (Stereotyping is the same as "birds of the same feather flock together" or "guilty by association", or "tell me who your friends are and I will tell you who you are".

Stereotyping is regrettable. Racism should be condemned.

Quote Originally Posted by cumbersome
    Uhh, i don't get your point. My post was an objective analysis of racism. It could be blatant, it could be subtle, but it is racism nonetheless. And racism is also a decision, just like any other. I personally espouse tolerance, but oftentimes, people unknowingly cross the line in the spirit of humour.
    I'm just pointing out your post regarding chinese marrying pinoys, calling them racists for not allowing their children to marry a person of different culture is unfair, its usually a case to case basis. You could have used a different example.

4. FrankDrebin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer
    chinese = kuripot, bisaya = baduy, 'bombays' = baho...stereotyping IMO..but others could interpret it with a hint of racism..
    Hmmm...stereotyping categorized with racial origin. A mild racist insult perhaps?

5. FrankDrebin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing
    I'm just pointing out your post regarding chinese marrying pinoys, calling them racists for not allowing their children to marry a person of different culture is unfair, its usually a case to case basis. You could have used a different example.
    Is a mere looking down on or denying something to someone who is not in the same skin color like yours considered an act of racism?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    It was a previously stated example, i just followed up on it. I respect the fact that you don't agree with me, but i don't know what else to call the preference for your own race, and disdain for others when it comes to marriage, whatever the case is. The movie "To Sir With Love" comes to mind in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankDrebin
    Is a mere looking down on or denying something to someone who is not in the same skin color like yours considered an act of racism?
    Sometimes, it is called tradition.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sometimes, it is called tradition.
    Just before the Holocaust... the Nazis forbade Jews from marrying non-Jewish Germans (Aryans).

The concept of racial purity is associated the belief that the various races of mankind should be kept "pure" by not permitting interbreeding.

This belief is associated with racism and attempted biological justifications for this concept are now regarded as entirely unscientific.

mazdamazda: Mga extreme cases na yun hehehe as in sobrang traditional. Well to clarify things di naman kailangan pure chinese, atleast may isang side na Chinese, the reason is they want as much as possible to have the same culture and upbringing, which is very important to the parents and relatives. Well at least thats the case in our family.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Karding
    This thread is WORTH deleting.

;)
    Medyo I agree with Karding on this one...... madali kasing pagusapan pero dun sa mga nakaranas nito, mas maganda sigurong kalimutan....... nakakasawa na kasi...... opinion lang po bossings

RACISM: are you against it?