New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    gs2 kc same culture, kc chinese families are closely tied together. ewan lang sa mga modern families..

FD: Don't know case to case basis yan. Ang reasoning ng ibang parents language barrier, different beliefs specially the in-laws (dito usually nagkakatalo), social status (which can be racial issue), etc. ang dami pre specially those families who are very traditional. Whether its racism or not well, I can't speak for every parent, based lang yan sa aking experience and experiences of my friends.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    If Chinese parents discriminate against non-Chinese partners of their children, especially if these partners have nothing objectionable in them morally, even economically (a very practical consideration for many), then it is obviously racism. But racism doesn't have to be overt to be considered racism. A remark about Kapampangans being mayabang, or Ilocanos being kuripot, even put in a humorous light, is a subtle allusion to discrimination. In this context, everyone is guilty of a racist thought or two. The key is how we react to such statements. Maybe we shouldn't be too tolerant of these things all the time, and put people in their place if they cross the line.

cumbersome: Madami kang makaka away pag ganyan pagiicip mo. Give people the benefit of the doubt if it isn't malicious. Eh ano kung tawagin akong kuripot? Totoo naman, nagtitipid lang. And regarding chinese not wanting their children to marry pinoys, well its their decision. It goes deeper than moralality and economics. What am trying to say is don't judge from the outside looking in.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Even Filipinos tend to be racist. I know for a fact Pinoys make fun of Indians because of their odor. Pinoys also make fun of Chinese because of the way they speak English/Filipino. Being racist isnt exclusive to non-Pinoys.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OTO
    Even Filipinos tend to be racist. I know for a fact Pinoys make fun of Indians because of their odor. Pinoys also make fun of Chinese because of the way they speak English/Filipino. Being racist isnt exclusive to non-Pinoys.

Now that you say so, check this out:

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0110/1490645.html

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing
    cumbersome: Madami kang makaka away pag ganyan pagiicip mo. Give people the benefit of the doubt if it isn't malicious. Eh ano kung tawagin akong kuripot? Totoo naman, nagtitipid lang. And regarding chinese not wanting their children to marry pinoys, well its their decision. It goes deeper than moralality and economics. What am trying to say is don't judge from the outside looking in.
    Uhh, i don't get your point. My post was an objective analysis of racism. It could be blatant, it could be subtle, but it is racism nonetheless. And racism is also a decision, just like any other. I personally espouse tolerance, but oftentimes, people unknowingly cross the line in the spirit of humour.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by cumbersome
    A remark about Kapampangans being mayabang, or Ilocanos being kuripot, even put in a humorous light, is a subtle allusion to discrimination. In this context, everyone is guilty of a racist thought or two.
    this can also be called stereotyping

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    chinese = kuripot, bisaya = baduy, 'bombays' = baho...stereotyping IMO..but others could interpret it with a hint of racism..

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Bluebimmer:

Right you are. I suppose these things have been around for so long that people have taken them for granted. Just something to break the ice during drinking sessions, or a jab at a daughter's suitor. But i am certain that the people concerned will not always be amused. Hehehe.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
RACISM: are you against it?