New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Kami ng anak ko "gimme five" ang greeting.

Sa mga elderlies, kiss. Walang gustong mano e... nakakatanda daw.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Using "po" "opo" and the "mano" are specific to certain areas of the Philippines. AFAIK the Tagalog popularized it.

I rarely do the "po" & "opo" seeming i know few ppl who practice it. Only do so when I talk to people expecting all three.
    Last edited by OTO; July 15th, 2006 at 10:40 PM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    ^^it's true that po and opo are specific to areas in the Philippines. My family, father side, is Chavacano (Zamboanga City) and none of them expect the po/opo when I talk to them in Tagalog. I remember as a child my when grandaunt actually "rejected" my po-at-opo kasi sabi niya "wala namang ganyan samin kaya okey lang". Kahit naman mag-Tagalog ako eh kadalasan sinasagot ako ng Chavacano (kasi alam nilang nakakaintindi ako - observers might find this awkward). By default however, I use the expression, lessening the usage gradually as my friendship with the person I'm talking to grows. As for mano, I only do so when the person expects it to (or my grandma thinks so, heheh).
    Last edited by Alpha_One; July 15th, 2006 at 11:20 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    I think it unfair & a waste of money that the govt's creating programs to impose this practice to areas that do not inherently practice it. Then again the govt isnt known to make that good use of funds in the first place. Maybe they could crease the Philippine Aeronautics and Space Agency or PASA as a blackhole where money can be poured into and never see again.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    IMO, teaching culture-specific "respectful" formalities should be taught by parents, and not the government (in schools, et al). Common courtesy yes, but formalities no.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yep..it all starts at home...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    All the time...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my nieces/nephews who grew up in the States still use the "PO" and "OPO" and nagmamano pa din naman.

Kami naman dito, syempre always.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    "yan ang ayaw ko dito sa US, parang disposable mga elderlies"-FXT

ganyan nga sila no?

mano oo, pero PO and OPO sa amin sa pampanga di ginagamit sa parents, unless laking manila, so usually sa mga ibang nakakatanda oo.

10. FrankDrebin Guest
    IMO, sa akin depende kung karapatdapat bang galangin yung mga elderly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Pinoy Respect