New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    :lol: Don't get me started on jeepneys. Can you imagine over a hundred jeepneys jockeying for just a few dozen passengers? It's madness! Last time I passed Sucat road going to the airport at night, gridlock yung traffic... why?

There were almost one hundred jeepneys parked over three lanes. The first ten or so jeepneys had maybe five or ten bored passengers sitting there, waiting for them to leave.

The reason jeepney drivers only make a marginal living? Too much competition. Too many jeepneys.
    kaya nga eh... you've got your typical ill-educated high school graduate who can't read (HOW do these guys pass the driver's license exams again????) and so can't get a job. so what does he do?

(imitate barney from the simpsons)
    "uhh.. i can't get a job... uhh... i know!!! i can drive a jeepney!!!"

so you have too many jeepneys, all of them with stone age sulfur-spewing diesel engines. they make a living, after a fashion, because at rush hour they all can get passengers. which is enough for them to survive. but at off-peak hours... you have the spectacle of the long traffic-causing lines.

the FX line from Taguig to Makati (and vice versa) has a pretty disciplined setup. Everybody queues up in the morning, the FX's (actually a bunch of FX's, a wayward Starex, and a Nissan Urvan the FX barkers call "the train") come in at regular intervals. by 9:30 a.m. there are no more FX's to be had (no more passengers, equals no more vehicles). i don't know where they spend the rest of their day....

ditto for the Makati MRT terminal, by 9:00 p.m. wala nang FX na masakyan (then we mumble and curse and fork over 250 pesos for a taxi ride to Taguig).

this system only works because the FX association on this route probably controls the NUMBER of FX's they allow. I don't know how they enforce it, but it more or less guarantees that each FX driver gets about 3-4 trips in the morning, and 3-4 trips in the evening.

2. FrankDrebin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    they can always go back to riding buses...

when I sometimes commute to work, I take a bus instead of the MRT.

the fare is cheaper, I don't have to fall in line, I am seated all the time, I arrive still smelling fresh at the office and there's a TV to entertain me.

if some people go back to riding buses, then the flow of buses will be more faster (since they don't have to wait that long) resulting in less traffic... then riding the MRT will become more liveable... etc...
    Maybe, but if that happens, EDSA traffic will become from worse to worst since more buses will be fielded simply because of the demand just like before.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    :lol: Don't get me started on jeepneys. Can you imagine over a hundred jeepneys jockeying for just a few dozen passengers? It's madness! Last time I passed Sucat road going to the airport at night, gridlock yung traffic... why?

There were almost one hundred jeepneys parked over three lanes. The first ten or so jeepneys had maybe five or ten bored passengers sitting there, waiting for them to leave.

The reason jeepney drivers only make a marginal living? Too much competition. Too many jeepneys.

Businesses should also look at keeping odd hours to help minimize traffic during peak hours. But it's very hard to ensure the security of your workers if you let them check in/out when it's dark.
    same thing sa libis. before noon ginagawa yun blueridge bridge, understandable ang traffic na nagsisimula C5-ortigas. pero after nagawa na, traffic pa din!

yun pala nag-hahanging ang mga jeep sa may harap ng pizza hut before eastwood. yun ang cause.

BF seems to be against innefficient mass transport like jeepneys and tricycles. sana magtagal pa sya sa serbisyo kahit maging Pres. para totally i-consider na ng govt. na i-phase out na ang jeepney sa M.M. forever. or if not, tanggalin na ang boundary system ng jeepney drivers at gawin na lang swelduhan.

and for the jeepney operators, maging negosyante na kayo to the letter, kung walang kita accept it or try another biz, hindi yun segurista kayo na may pa-boundary boundary pa to ensure your earnings. sagabal sa progress ng P'nas!

since comparable naman sa rental biz yan transport system, it should have the same playing field. i-cafes, car rentals, heavy equipment rentals pag hindi umabot ng breakeven per day nila, nagrereklamo ba sila?

T
    Last edited by oldblue; January 18th, 2006 at 03:16 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Ako, I agree on hiking to P50-P60, BUT NOT P72 (at least not for the next two years).

Two cents on the take.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
P72 MRT fare hike being considered